Pocket Tunes app able to get Sirius/XM on Iphone

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Where does it say it supports Sirius XM, I don't see that anywhere in that linked web page description.

S

stumpy

I bought this yesterday.. it works. I took a leap but very happy! It doesn't re-skin the stream, you login via the Sirius player so it appears legit. Plus I can get local FM streams via the 'listen online' links.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Where does it say it supports Sirius XM, I don't see that anywhere in that linked web page description.

DAB, it does not state that it supports it. I never claimed that it did officially "support" it. From he reviews and feed back that I have read on Howard forums, it does work somewhat.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I bought Wunderradio for streaming "everything but" Sirius/XM. Between that, iheartradio, AOL Radio, Slacker, and the coming Sirius/XM app, I'm not sure that there is much more I could want for online streaming via my iPod Touch (except for maybe Rhapsody).

I'm not sure my battery can stand up to all the streaming. Oh yeah...this is supposed to be a MP3 player! :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I finally got around to trying this application out. Certainly not the easiest setup for Sirius and XM Radio, but better than nothing. I am able to listen to a few commerical free LIVE365 station so that alone was worth the price of admission. The ability thought to listen to XM via streaming on my iPod Touch is pretty cool. I even decided to update to the 128kbps streaming. Pretty sweet! Sounds better than the sats for sure, but sometimes there is some artifacting big time, but it just kind of comes and goes!

You can certainly just about listen to any online radio station out there with this application!

Reactions: mrpacs

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I haven't tried it as of yet. I'm still holding out for the official app to be released, if it ever will be! I may fold like a cheap suit and buy it soon.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am certainly awaiting the free version that Sirius XM offers up, but this one actually gives me the ability listen now. I really needed to do this, because I was too the point of thinking about canceling because I was just never listening to sat radio. Having the ability to stream on my iPod Touch has allowed me to listen a lot more to sat radio this weekend and I have to say I've enjoyed it. One of the channels I've enjoyed listening to is The Coffee House, I remmeber this channel and forgot how much I enjoyed it. Nothing like it on Slacker!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Don't say that too loud, they may decide to turn Coffee House into the all Indigo Girls channel or something. It's clear that apps like this are for current subscribers only, since there won't be any packages offered for new subscribers to try it through their iPhone or iPod Touch. If they were smart they would, but they've already proven otherwise several times over.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Don't say that too loud, they may decide to turn Coffee House into the all Indigo Girls channel or something. It's clear that apps like this are for current subscribers only, since there won't be any packages offered for new subscribers to try it through their iPhone or iPod Touch. If they were smart they would, but they've already proven otherwise several times over.

Well I think you are a bit ahead of the game on them having a select few channels for folks to try out on the iPhone/iPod considering Sirius XM technically doesn't have an application yet.

I think once they get an application, we may seem them move to open a few rotating stations for folks to try out the free Sirius XM application online. Now they may do this at certain times like cable does where they give sneak previews, but clearly the application is more about enhancing the experiences of those subscribers that already have the service.

This application has done that for me, which I was on the verge of possibly canceling. Now that I have this method (no reception, docks, antennas to deal with) to listen which sounds decent I'll keep the service.

If Sirius XM would get their SIR service pricing at a decent price point, I think many would subscribe once they get a decent application released. Also lets not forget they do have the trial online service which would allow those who download the free app to try it for 3 days and they would get everything. I think that time should be more like 7 days, but whatever!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Well I think you are a bit ahead of the game on them having a select few channels for folks to try out on the iPhone/iPod considering Sirius XM technically doesn't have an application yet.

I think once they get an application, we may seem them move to open a few rotating stations for folks to try out the free Sirius XM application online. Now they may do this at certain times like cable does where they give sneak previews, but clearly the application is more about enhancing the experiences of those subscribers that already have the service.

This application has done that for me, which I was on the verge of possibly canceling. Now that I have this method (no reception, docks, antennas to deal with) to listen which sounds decent I'll keep the service.

If Sirius XM would get their SIR service pricing at a decent price point, I think many would subscribe once they get a decent application released. Also lets not forget they do have the trial online service which would allow those who download the free app to try it for 3 days and they would get everything. I think that time should be more like 7 days, but whatever!

They would have to charge less than what Slacker is charging ($47 a year) to get me to jump. There are just too many apps out there that offer better music content without the chatty DJs for less, if not free. There's a reason I jumped ship when I did, because the music offerings were going downhill. I'd probably pick it up for the classical stations since Slacker is severly lacking, but even those are only about 3 channels. :clueless:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
You know I think I've found probably about 5 or 6 station lacking on Slacker that Sirius XM does a good job of filling the gap, well worth $2.99 per month for the premium. But I disagree that Sirius XM has to be as cheap as Slacker, because it offers more entertainment and talk (general, political and sports) content that Slacker doesn't have or have to pay for. Which is a good selling point for a lot of folks even if it doesn't appeal to you. I'd pay $7.99 or so per month for online access only!