Please! Somebody step up and stop the 48 team this year.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Oh I will cheer him on all the way if he can manage to do that he deserves it.... I wouldn't mind seeing someone else win it either but I won't deny that team is the bomb come the chase and can pull it off.. I definitely won't count them out..

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Oh I will cheer him on all the way if he can manage to do that he deserves it.... I wouldn't mind seeing someone else win it either but I won't deny that team is the bomb come the chase and can pull it off.. I definitely won't count them out..

Oh if he earns it then more power to them but from a spectator point of view, I'm bored with it lol....It'd be nice to see someone else win it. Anyone really.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Jimmie Johnson was the first Rookie to lead the Winston Cup Point standings back in 2002.

To be quite honest, we could be talking about his 6th championship in 8 years

2003 he finished second

2004 Second (4 points behind Kurt)

2005 Second coming into the last race. Wrecked during the race and finished 5th in the standings

2006, 2007, 2008 Championships

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Please refer back to my thread regarding Jimmie Johnson being the greatest driver of this decade.

Absolutely no question about it. In the time he's been in Cup, he's eclipsed his boss, and Tony Stewart in wins and championships.

He should be one of NaSCAR's 50 greatest drivers. Without a doubt.

If he wins another one this year, I'd put him up there with Petty, Earnhardt, and Gordon :shock:

Reactions: Calypso

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
"If he wins another one this year, I'd put him up there with Petty, Earnhardt, and Gordon :shock:"

I would to. But he doesnt get the recognition or the respect. And most of that I believe is how much people hate and despise the chase.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
"If he wins another one this year, I'd put him up there with Petty, Earnhardt, and Gordon :shock:"

I would to. But he doesnt get the recognition or the respect. And most of that I believe is how much people hate and despise the chase.

You're probably right because people can go back and say. "well if you look at the old way so and so would have won"
I hate the chase too but its here. We're stuck with it.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Well look at how much some Jeff Gordon fans clutch onto the fact that "if it were the old system he would be a 6 time champion."

I think someone did the math when they started the chase and they came up with Gordon would only have 3 championships if they had the chase the whole time Jeff's been in Cup.

Dale Sr. would only have 5 if he had been under the chase system :shock:

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Well look at how much some Jeff Gordon fans clutch onto the fact that "if it were the old system he would be a 6 time champion."

Its true he would have but I think a lot of drivers would have driver their season differently.
Although in 07, the guys was almost unstoppable... ;)

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Absolutely no question about it. In the time he's been in Cup, he's eclipsed his boss, and Tony Stewart in wins and championships.

He should be one of NaSCAR's 50 greatest drivers. Without a doubt.

If he wins another one this year, I'd put him up there with Petty, Earnhardt, and Gordon :shock:

I totally agree Semi..

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Jimmie Johnson was the first Rookie to lead the Winston Cup Point standings back in 2002.

To be quite honest, we could be talking about his 6th championship in 8 years

2003 he finished second

2004 Second (4 points behind Kurt)

2005 Second coming into the last race. Wrecked during the race and finished 5th in the standings

2006, 2007, 2008 Championships

I've never been a big fan of either Jimmie or Chad but those two and the rest of the 48 bunch know how to get things done and have been doing so since xoming to Cup. :flex: They produce week after week and are a threat to win every weekend.

So..... Were does Jimme rank? Some interesting CUP stats about those that you mentioned compared to Jimmie.....

Richard Petty - 7 Championships
Dale Earnhardt - 7
Jeff Gordon - 4
Jimmie Johnson - 3

Richard Petty had a winning percentage of 16.89%
Dale Earnhardt - 11.24%
Jeff Gordon - 14.56%
Jimmie Johnson - 15.38%

Richard Petty had an average finish of 11.267
Dale Earnhardt - 11.061
Jeff Gordon - 12.329
Jimmie Johnson - 11.733

Obviously, he's right there with the best of the best and deserves the respect that the others get. People just get tired of watching the same driver win all of the time. The same was true with the other three that you mentioned at one time or another. He hasn't really been in the sport all that long and has already accomplished so much. The respect that you talk about will come in time. :yesshake:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
This is why I still say....

Get rid of the chase.

I would have two champions at the end of the year. A "Winning Champion" and a "Points Champion" with the goal being the "Winning Champion" who would get the "Big Bill Trophy".

Like the NFL has the Vince Lombardi Trophy.