Playlists Are Improving

vanzant77

Mar 12, 2009
Peru Indiana
I had written several program directors at Sirius with rather stern words about the playlist that were being sent to the DJ's at Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind and The Boneyard.
Since those emails I have noticed an improvement in all 3 of the stations playlists. More variety on all, especially on The Boneyard.
Its not perfect to some but to me they get my Thumbs UP!!

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
The playlists on Sirius XM kind of fluctuate like the tides. Better (for Sirius listeners) after the merger, then drastic reductions on some channels, then some improvements lately. I've noticed different songs being played on the 80's on 8 recently. Anyway, Thanks for your efforts at contacting Sirius XM about the playlists! :bigthumbup:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Glad you are happy ... but I haven't noticed much difference in the channels you mention.

I also think the 80s have changed their songs.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I am glad your happy Vanzant and I can already hear it already , right now they are playing New York Minute by Don Henley which I have not heard in a while.

WACF

Oct 28, 2008
Canadian Prairies
The Boneyard still is way to shallow and repetitive for my tastes.

BY and HN being completly void of any new current music still blows me away.

Tesla's latest is awesome...but unless you listen to Eddie Trunk's show you would never hear it.

Black Sabbath...or rather Heaven and Hell put out a great new single....and yet we do not get to hear it.

Weak...

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
The Boneyard still is way to shallow and repetitive for my tastes.

BY and HN being completly void of any new current music still blows me away.

Tesla's latest is awesome...but unless you listen to Eddie Trunk's show you would never hear it.

Black Sabbath...or rather Heaven and Hell put out a great new single....and yet we do not get to hear it.

Weak...

And I agree that they still suck at it , come on at this rate we have to go to Slacker or some other internet radio service to listen to these tracks. Just pathetic.:mad:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah it fluctuates the music on sat radio make a good backup for my Slacker service! hehehe :)

JayDizz

Jan 3, 2009
I've also noticed that on First Wave. Lithium is sounding a lot better lately too.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
A lot of formats are still missing. Prog Rock? World Music?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
A lot of formats are still missing. Prog Rock? World Music?

Isn't prog rock on Jam_on and the Grateful Dead? They had it on XM for a while but it didn't survive. I think with bandwidth what it is, niche channels are hard to justify.

Disorder ? Punk ? hell even polka ? :smug:

I think they could/should have done a combined Disorder/Fine Tuning channel when they did the merger. Punk? Did enough people actually listten?

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
I think Deep Tracks has a one-hour block of Progressive Rock every week night. But that's about it.

Mostly older prog from the 60s and 70s. Progressive metal like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Symphony X really doesn't have a home on Sirius. Probably not enough of a body of work for a station on its own, but could be included as a show on a rock/metal station.

Same with current releases from 'first wave' bands. The Cure's latest doesn't have a home - not 'alt' enough for alt nation, not indy enough for XMU. Same with New Order's latest. I haven't heard a Morrisey track from his release last month. Wouldn't be bad for the first wave playlist to sprinkle in a few newer releases from the first wave roster.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I think they could/should have done a combined Disorder/Fine Tuning channel when they did the merger. Punk? Did enough people actually listten?

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but when you have:

4 classic rock channels (Rewind, Vinyl, Vault/Deep Tracks, Buzzsaw/Boneyard)
However many alternative channels (First Wave, Lithium, Left of Center??, Underground Garage)
0 punk channels

That doesn't add up. Faction could add a little more punk, since the rock and rap is covered elsewhere.

Honestly, I don't really like punk, but the absence is glaring. And I know that the channels I "grouped together" above may not be entirely similar, but work with me. They're close enough.

Maybe they could drop the Pulse since they already have Pop2K, Sirius Hits 1, 90's on 9, and whatever other current hits channels.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but when you have:

4 classic rock channels (Rewind, Vinyl, Vault/Deep Tracks, Buzzsaw/Boneyard)
However many alternative channels (First Wave, Lithium, Left of Center??, Underground Garage)
0 punk channels

That doesn't add up. Faction could add a little more punk, since the rock and rap is covered elsewhere.

Honestly, I don't really like punk, but the absence is glaring. And I know that the channels I "grouped together" above may not be entirely similar, but work with me. They're close enough.

Maybe they could drop the Pulse since they already have Pop2K, Sirius Hits 1, 90's on 9, and whatever other current hits channels.

I just can't see more listeners being attracted by a punk channel than any of the channels you have listed. Fraction could add it to their repetoir.

Of course, there are E-Street Radio and The Grateful Dead channel which could be replaced by a punk and a Disorder/Fine Tuning type station.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
What exactly was Disorder? :confused:

I'm thinking it's like a Super Shuffle but JUST for the rock channels, and deeper rock than what Super Shuffle did? Am I close?

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I'm having flashbacks to 2003. Glad to see some things never change. :p

Back to the satellite radio graveyard with me...