PioneerAVH-P4000DVD / GEX-P920XM / 06 Cobalt SS Supercharged

SpaceKitty

Nov 21, 2008
I had originally installed my Pioneer deck, the AVH-P4000DVD last October. At that time, I only purchased the iPod connector with it. The iPod connector allows the Pioneer deck to control all functions of the iPod. The iPod is controlled from the touch screen on the deck. All media on the iPod is playable through the screen on the deck including music, music videos, TV shows, movies and podcasts. Playlists are also selectable as well as genres, artists, albums and songs basically everything the iPod can do. This deck was my dream deck and as of Monday, I added the Pioneer XM module (GEX-P920XM) which I purchased at BestBuy. Only one store in the whole city of Denver carried it.

My install of the deck took about two hours because I was not familiar with installing a stereo at all but in the end it worked and I didn't blow up any fuses or catch anything on fire. ;) Last night, adding the XM part took just as long but for someone experienced, it probably would have taken much less time. I was extremely happy and surprised when I got XM on my deck!

I used a GM wiring harness that allowed me to keep the stock subwoofer in the trunk and also keep the function of the built in amp and tweeters, all stock Pioneer.

Ok, on with some pictures. I didn't take any with everything taken apart, just the finished work.

First the car. Purchased new in March 2006. 24800 miles and always parked in garage. 5 Speed Supercharged. I just washed it by the way.

What the screen looks like while listening to an XM channel:

Preset channels. Like allot of radios, this has 3 bands of 6 channels for XM, 3 more Bands for AM/FM.

Channels listed in the Rock category:

Direct entry screen where I can enter the number for any XM channel and go right to it:

This picture sucks but you can at least see what it looks like in the dash. Nice and neat. The GPS is a Garmin Nuvi 850 with speech recognition. The power cable goes into the dash just below it and plugs into a lighter socket in front of the cup holders. It is fastened to the vent using an XM radio vent mount. Barely moves and has never fallen off.

Very cool stereo and I am extremely pleased with it. Next, I want to add the bluetooth module to it. All photos taken on my iPhone 3G!:bigthumbup:

Last edited:

SpaceKitty

Nov 21, 2008
I forgot to add that you can find out what all the other channels are playing while you are listening to a channel. You just press the button that looks like a magnifying glass and it cycles through: Channel listing>Current song playing on every channel>Channels in category.