Photos of Slacker G2 dock (Discussion)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That doesn't look ANYTHING like I envisioned it!

So what are you thoughts?

Copied your main pictures over to the DRC server and posted them.

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio
OK...deep breaths...I won...that's all that really matters...must breath.

Alright, it's much smaller than I thought it would be. However, the weight is substantial relative to it's size. It weighs about 2.34 ounces and has a study, quality feel to it. The bottom is a tacky gray rubber surface which is an excellent touch. The back has a headphone jack, a line out and a mini USB port. My one initial concern is the G2 sits somewhat unsupported on the docking pins. One fall and I'd be afraid of the damage. I would have liked to see the player dock into a recess that would better support it on all sides.

PLEASE NOTE: An AC adapter and USB cable are not included. You must use these from your G2 kit.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Good questions Xan? Eric is the audio-out fixed? If so then the volume on the device itself won't matter.

What about the protective case does it have to be removed in order for it to fit?

I don't think the G2 even has a remote port.

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio
I have an update. There's a major problem with this dock. There is a god awful, loud buzzing sound when the USB is plugged in. Basically, it make the dock a useless paperweight. Looks like Amazon is getting a return!

Last edited:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
I don't think the G2 even has a remote port.
but they could possibly add the remote function to the dock.

Slacker...If you ever do, please use rf not ir. Thank you.:cool:

I have an update. There's a major problem with this dock. There is a god awful, loud buzzing sound when the USB is plugged in. Basically, it make the dock a useless paperweight. Looks like Amazon is getting a return!
Its my stiletto boombox all over again!
-bummer.

Do you have a usb cable with ferrite choke on it to try, just for 'chits and giggles?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
Maybe you should check in with online chat slacker real quick. Maybe it is widespread, or they should at least know about it. Definitely use amazon though on a exchange/return.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Is it rather it is plugged into the computer or and AC power adapter? It does it with both?

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio
OK. The connection seems to be a bit touchy. I played around with the plug until I found a spot where the buzz went away. I still have some concerns.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
OK. The connection seems to be a bit touchy. I played around with the plug until I found a spot where the buzz went away. I still have some concerns.
I am fixing to head over to the office now and I'll have mine home soon. I'll test it out and see how it works for me.

Is the audio-output fixed?

Thanks,

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Okay, I just got home with mine and set it up.

I am not hearing any buzzing from the AC Adapter.

The audio-output on the dock is fixed, so the volume setting on the G2 has no impact on it. So, you'll have to use the boombox, stereo or whatever devices you are plugging the audio out into to control the volume. The headphone output is variable, so the volume on the G2 does control it even if you have the audio-out plugged in too.

You can also run the G2 from just the battery power and the dock still works, so it doesn't require being plugged into power unless you are charging it and or using USB to refresh the device. This is good because it will allow you to cycle your battery occasionally.

Okay now trying the USB and I am not hearing any buzzing from there either.

I am well pleased with the G2 dock from my initial use of it.

xyzzy

Dec 16, 2008
My question is this: Does the G2 recognize that it's been plugged into the dock? If so, does it change any menu options?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My question is this: Does the G2 recognize that it's been plugged into the dock? If so, does it change any menu options?
No menu changes whatsoever when plugged in, so other than it using the connector on the bottom of the G2 it doesn't appear dock aware at all.

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio
Okay, I just got home with mine and set it up.

I am not hearing any buzzing from the AC Adapter.

The audio-output on the dock is fixed, so the volume setting on the G2 has no impact on it. So, you'll have to use the boombox, stereo or whatever devices you are plugging the audio out into to control the volume. The headphone output is variable, so the volume on the G2 does control it even if you have the audio-out plugged in too.

You can also run the G2 from just the battery power and the dock still works, so it doesn't require being plugged into power unless you are charging it and or using USB to refresh the device. This is good because it will allow you to cycle your battery occasionally.

Okay now trying the USB and I am not hearing any buzzing from there either.

I am well pleased with the G2 dock from my initial use of it.

I think what happened is the plug and/or G2 became slightly loose. It doesn't take much to loosen the G2 since it sits flush on the dock. My bad!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think what happened is the plug and/or G2 became slightly loose. It doesn't take much to loosen the G2 since it sits flush on the dock. My bad!
Yeah I can see how that would happen. The dock itself has two little rubber cushions that it looks like the G2 rest again so you can push it down pretty well.

You were in a rush to beat me DAWG! LOL

I really appreciate the pictures and you did indeed earn the cookie!

By the way I took your warning update back to black and downsized the text! No use throwing up a red flag that doesn't really exist! :)

If your has continued to have the buzz I was going to suggest it maybe just be a bad one. But I am glad you got it working.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
SatRadioRules said:
DAB - I do not plan to have mine connected to a computer...can you still wifi refresh if in the cradle plugged into the wall?

Also, is the fixed line out loud enough?
Yes you can still do the refresh via Wifi if it is plugged into AC, but if you have it plugged into the USB port on the computer naturally it wants to go that route to refresh.

I think the line out is sufficiently loud.