Phillies Broadcaster Harry Kalas -- Dies

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
unless I'm mistaken he was also was the voice of nfl films after the death of legendary john facenda

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
:( That sucks! I was just listening to a Phillies game the other night, I dug his voice.

digital100

Oct 15, 2008
Northern Virginia
That is so sad! I did not even know the name. I just knew the voice. I never knew when to watch, but if you are flipping through the channels and you hear his voice narrating "The Drive", you just have to stop and watch and listen.

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
Reds broadcast announcer Marty Brennaman was emotional before tonights game. He said they both had spoken for about 40 minutes last Thursday.

Today was a weird day of unexpected deaths. :? (Mark The Bird, Marlin Chambers and now Kalas)

RIP :(

http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/...ult-film-star-marilyn-chambers-dies-56-a.html
I live in Philadelphia, so I have been lucky enough to hear Harry for my entire life. He wasn't from Philly, but he was one of us. He was the voice of Summer Time. He was baseball in Philadelphia. The team wasn't always very good, but Harry was always great.

Guys like this aren't supposed to die. They are supposed to always be there. Always calling the balls and strikes and always calling the homeruns and always your guide through the baseball season.

One of the best things about XM is getting to hear all of the other team's announcers. There used to be guys like Kalas, Jack Buck, and Marty Brennaman on every team, but it seems like everyone just wants to be like John Sterling or Chris Berman now and have a shtick rather then then just sitting back and sharing baseball with the fans.

Vin Scully, Marty Brannaman, Denny Matthews still do it the right way, but there just so few of them left it seems, and today we lost one of the best ever.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Guys like this aren't supposed to die. They are supposed to always be there. Always calling the balls and strikes and always calling the homeruns and always your guide through the baseball season.

One of the best things about XM is getting to hear all of the other team's announcers. There used to be guys like Kalas, Jack Buck, and Marty Brennaman on every team, but it seems like everyone just wants to be like John Sterling or Chris Berman now and have a shtick rather then then just sitting back and sharing baseball with the fans.

Vin Scully, Marty Brannaman, Denny Matthews still do it the right way, but there just so few of them left it seems, and today we lost one of the best ever.

Very well said. :hatsoff:

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Brennaman on Kalas

Hall of Fame broadcaster Harry Kalas, 73, was found dead in a Washington broadcast booth Monday, deeply saddening Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman.

"When you talk about a celebrity, people will say, ëHe was a great ballplayer or a great actor, or a great announcer.' Harry Kalas was a great person," said Brennaman. "We talked on the phone five days ago for 45 minutes and 90 percent of the conversation was about taking care of yourself, getting enough rest.

"He was just a decent, decent person and I guarantee you he'll be remembered in Philadelphia as much for being the kind of person he was for what he was in his chosen profession because he was a hell of a guy."

Asked if he thought Kalas would have chosen to die in a broadcast booth, Brennaman said, "Absoluteloy. He had no hobbies. That was his life. To pass away in the booth, well, if you would have asked him I'm sure he would have said that's the way he wanted to go."

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
I live in Philadelphia, so I have been lucky enough to hear Harry for my entire life. He wasn't from Philly, but he was one of us. He was the voice of Summer Time. He was baseball in Philadelphia. The team wasn't always very good, but Harry was always great.

My dad was his UPS delivery man for many years. Harry was always very generous with his time signing baseballs and giving him tickets from his own set of season tickets a couple of times. He will be missed in this area for a long time. God bless you Harry!