Phil Hendrie

Smok44

Nov 19, 2008
Belmar, NJ
Good interview with Phil Hendrie, he is the man in radio, real talent. He's from the same mold as Carlin. The man is funny as hell and tells it like it is.

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
Yes, this is good stuff. I guess there's no chance he'll be on Sirius now though, after what he said about Mel.

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
No i don't think so, he doesn't need Sirius, they need him!

Too bad Mel and company don't see it that way though. Like Phil said, they don't get that it's about content. They'd rather throw their money away on non-radio people like Oprah and Martha, and then wonder why their stock is less than a buck.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Too bad Mel and company don't see it that way though. Like Phil said, they don't get that it's about content. They'd rather throw their money away on non-radio people like Oprah and Martha, and then wonder why their stock is less than a buck.

Sirius thinking: "If we sign as many people as we can, we'll get a portion of their fanbase. If we sign a deal to get X percent of their fans, and pay that individual person Y million, we'll make a profit off them."

That logic worked for Howard. They paid Howard (say) 500 million. He brought over (say) 4 million. After 4 million people paid Sirius $12.95 a month, they made a profit.

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked for Oprah, Martha, etc.

Fans thinking: "Make Howard, Bubba, Ellis, O&A, and R&F happy. Give us enough music variety so we don't hear the same song two days in a row when we listen for 8-9 hours of the same channel straight. If you do this, we'll happy sign 2-3 year subscriptions. Hell, we may even sign a few lifetime subs."

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
What did he say about Mel?

I doubt Mel would go after him though since Mel only goes for New York radio guys.

Did I mention that Mel is a fucking moron?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Phil Hendrie was great on XM a few years back.

100% right. XM was home of Phil Hendrie on satellite radio for a few year. I stared with XM and his show as a go to show from July 2002 until his show came off syndication.

If Clear Channel decided to pick his show back up and put it on satellite radio, it will be back on XM :)

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
I wish Bubba would have Neil Rogers on. Neil and Phil came up in the same Miami market. Neil was always at the top of the ratings in Miami but was let go because they wanted to become an all sports station.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
I doubt Mel would go after him though since Mel only goes for New York radio guys.

Probably why they wouldn't give "west coast" Jim Rome a deal he couldn't refuse. Rome is one of the guys that could carry a station since, like Howard, he has a loyal audience around the country. He probably would also "pimp" his SiriXM channel during his half-hour (advertisement) show on ESPN (unlike Oprah).

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
I wish Bubba would have Neil Rogers on. Neil and Phil came up in the same Miami market. Neil was always at the top of the ratings in Miami but was let go because they wanted to become an all sports station.
Bubba put in a request to get him on when he was booted.

As for the Hendrie appearance, it was brilliant. The guy pretty much summed up what a lot of people have been thinking about Sirius XM's priorities.