People yelling in golf...

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
You can't make the pros if you let the crowd get the best of you.
I watched a batter for the Durham Bulls get flustered by the kids yelling at a Mud Hens game recently. He actually held up his hand to try to quite them down.

Each game they have a strike out player of the game, if he strikes out, people in one lucky row get a free ice-cream. There is no shutting those little monsters up.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
How would Howard feel about people yelling during a chess tournament?

Probably would sing a different tune if it were something HE was interested in.

JMU Alum 07

Nov 12, 2008
Noone seems to mention that unlike other sports there is no home field advantage in golf.

So instead you would be creating an unfair advantage for or against the most popular players on the tour as they would be getting the majority of the cheers.

Unless fans realized this and started making more noise to try to help their favorite player win.

It's a little different than the team sports that they are comparing if you see what I mean.

Reactions: AJ_II

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Frankly I just don't get it; why do these out of shape, drunken males need to yell childish stuff during a golf match? I just don't get! Maybe it's because I'm IN shape and I don't play golf every week but still. Seems a wee bit immature to me. Someone care to explain the joy of yelling stuff during golf?

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Noone seems to mention that unlike other sports there is no home field advantage in golf.

So instead you would be creating an unfair advantage for or against the most popular players on the tour as they would be getting the majority of the cheers.

Unless fans realized this and started making more noise to try to help their favorite player win.

It's a little different than the team sports that they are comparing if you see what I mean.

Those are good points. Golf is completely different from other sports like baseball. The people who attend tournaments aren't called "fans". They're "patrons".

On a bit of a side note, I've been to just about every kind of sporting event...baseball games, college and professional football and basketball games, hockey, etc. But the most overall fun I've ever had was about 10 years ago at the Tour Championship here in Houston. This was back when I was a HUGE Tiger Woods fan, and I followed him through all 18 holes. Picking a spot in one of the grandstands is not the way to go...too boring. Walking the course with your favorite player, trying to get the best vantage point for each shot, that's the way to do it.

Frankly I just don't get it; why do these out of shape, drunken males need to yell childish stuff during a golf match? I just don't get! Maybe it's because I'm IN shape and I don't play golf every week but still. Seems a wee bit immature to me. Someone care to explain the joy of yelling stuff during golf?

Alcohol.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
On a bit of a side note, I've been to just about every kind of sporting event...baseball games, college and professional football and basketball games, hockey, etc. But the most overall fun I've ever had was about 10 years ago at the Tour Championship here in Houston. This was back when I was a HUGE Tiger Woods fan, and I followed him through all 18 holes. Picking a spot in one of the grandstands is not the way to go...too boring. Walking the course with your favorite player, trying to get the best vantage point for each shot, that's the way to do it.

It really depends. I enjoy mixing it up at golf events. There is something to be said for seeing players on different holes. But I also enjoy sitting in the grandstand on a nice par 3 and watching the strategy of each player. You can see the players work the hole from tee to cup and I find that pretty cool too. Plus, if you are on your feet all day, an hour in the grandstands is a nice break.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I will never live in Texas again if I can help it. I have to go there for 3 months training so I'm shooting for January.

The hottest women in the country, no state income tax, great food...it's not bad! Yeah it gets a little steamy in the summer, but the winters are great here. You don't have to shovel sunshine!

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
The hottest?

I've been pretty impressed with the women I've seen in Northern California having lived in California all of my life, but I will say that New York is pretty unbelievable and Arizona totally blew me away.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
The hottest?

I've been pretty impressed with the women I've seen in Northern California having lived in California all of my life, but I will say that New York is pretty unbelievable and Arizona totally blew me away.

Well I'm biased, but I believe it to be true. I think Arizona and California are right up there as well, but go take a walk around any Texas university. The scenery is second-to-none.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
Maybe it's just my sports bias, but I think Pittsburgh has some good looking women, maybe the most for a place not usually considered for good looking women. However, some of them wear way too much makeup.