People with DirecTV, how do you do it?

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
I had DirecTV but I had to cancel (and pay the fee) because I wasn't about to sign up for another 2 years just to add a TV. How do you people deal with having to sign a new contract each time you change out a receiver and/or add a TV?

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Dish Network charges you a 50$ install fee and then you can go contract free. In other words the 2 year deal is generally for free installation. This is the impression I'm under. I've had Dish Network for years.

The cable companies often require a contract nowadays for Triple Play discounts. Everyone's on a contract kick.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Comcast doesn't require a contract. The deal is only good for a year but you are under no obligations to stick around for said year.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
A friend of mine in Comcast NJ had to commit to a year contract for Triple Play. Each cable carrier is run as its own franchise though so it can vary.

satradfan

Oct 11, 2008
I had DirecTV but I had to cancel (and pay the fee) because I wasn't about to sign up for another 2 years just to add a TV. How do you people deal with having to sign a new contract each time you change out a receiver and/or add a TV?

I just know that TV isn't going anywhere... 1 year...2 years...5 years... I'm not getting rid of my TV!

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
I have all the DISH channel numbers memorized and will not change to Direct TV.

Let's see:

205 is Fox News
394 is the World Fishing Network
105 is USA
6001 to 6116 is Sirius

There are a few more channels, but I never watch them. Not bad for $138/month.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
I just know that TV isn't going anywhere... 1 year...2 years...5 years... I'm not getting rid of my TV!

Mine's mounted on a wall... It's not going anywhere.. :)

It has nothing to do with your TV staying or leaving. It has everything to do with adding a TV or updating a box. Once you do that, with DirecTV, you must sign up for another 1-2 year commitment. To that, I say go to hell.

That's OK, I ended up paying the $200 early termination fee and I am going to be breaking even in two months. Yes, that's right, I am saving $100/month by going back to Comcrap.

satradfan

Oct 11, 2008
It has nothing to do with your TV staying or leaving. It has everything to do with adding a TV or updating a box. Once you do that, with DirecTV, you must sign up for another 1-2 year commitment. To that, I say go to hell.

That's OK, I ended up paying the $200 early termination fee and I am going to be breaking even in two months. Yes, that's right, I am saving $100/month by going back to Comcrap.

I hear you. Yes, it's annoying...but every time I make a change and they say that will extend your contract i think to myself..."Am i going to cancel before the contract is up?" The answer is always no.

Reactions: TacoKid

Rev. Jim

I live in a Cablevision area and there is no way I would give up DirecTV to go to them ... even if I saved a $100 month!! DirecTV's policy is a little nuts, but I want to stay. A two-year commitment is nothing.

Plus, DirecTV has NFL Sunday Ticket ... which I am watching now. :D

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
The break for the 2 year commit is a couple hundred bucks I believe.. It may even be prorated nowadays... Really it's minor. If you're really miserable you'll pay it and leave.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Cable and telco (FiOS especially) are starting in with the ETF's when then give you the discounted triple play bundles. Especially when you are getting a "win back" deal from a competitor.

They know that there are a legion of consumers that are willing to endure the inconvenience of a change...providers want to try to lock them down and reduce churn.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I've been a Directv customer since 1997. They started the contract thing when they went to the equipment leasing model, which they did in response to all the piracy of their signal. The fact is, I live in a rural area with a really terrible cable company. Their service is awful, and they are pretty unapologetic about it. The picture quality is terrible for everyone in town, and they won't do anything about it, except tell you if you don't like to cancel. They offer no High Definition, and the packages lack content and are expensive. You can get around the contract by owning your equipment, but unless you are sure your gonna change service it's not that big a deal.

late1

Oct 13, 2008
Columbus Ohio
I've been buying DTV for 10 years and my only other option is TimeWarner with 6 HD channels. I'll keep my service where it is. I might upgrade to the new Tivo DVR whe nits released. Contracts don't bother me.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
I like change and I hate being held in a contract. I have given up job offers, to make more money, because they required a non-compete agreement. I can understand if you have no other options but FIOS is supposed to be coming here in a year so I wasn't about to get myself in another 2 years (while paying a fee for the equipment) only to cancel a year later.

Blitz71

Oct 12, 2008
Elizabethtown, PA
www.myspace.com
We've had Comcast digital for about 8 or 9 years now. And Comcast internet for about 5. Last year we added Comcast voice and got the discounts for the triple play. When we did that we had to go into a 2 year contract. After its up, I'm thinking about getting Direct tv. I'll just have to down grade to DSL.

For those of you that have Direct tv; how many tv's do you have hooked up?
I ask this because Direct lets you connect up to 6 but Dish only shows that you can hook up 4.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
There is really no limit to the number of TVs you can hook up on DirecTV. I think that maybe the limit you refer to is the limit on how many sets they'll do on a 'free' install? Just a guess...

I work for a person with 13 receivers in his house, and 9 receivers at his beach house. :eek: I have 6 DirecTV receivers here at the office. You can do a lot of receivers as long as you get the right equipment and know what you're doing.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Wow, I guess Comcast's requirement for a contract varies as much as their prices do (from market to market). It is amazing how cheap Comcast is if they have competition. Go to BFE and it is very pricey. Go to Philly and it is about 2/3 of the price.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Wow, I guess Comcast's requirement for a contract varies as much as their prices do (from market to market). It is amazing how cheap Comcast is if they have competition. Go to BFE and it is very pricey. Go to Philly and it is about 2/3 of the price.

Most of the large operators vary from market to market. My cable company is regional in the NY area, and their pricing (and willingness to negotiate) is directly related to the availability of Verizon FiOS at your address. They do check and will work with you if you are FiOS eligible. Cablevision and Verizon are in a pretty fierce battle for triple play market share. The cable company doesn't really see a dish/DSL combo as a threat.