People with DirecTV, how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Cable & Video' started by Davis, Oct 11, 2008.

1. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

I don't change TV providers that often, I have been with Directv on and off so long that contracts don't matter. They have the NFL Ticket, more HD and better service, what's not to like.
  2. HarleyJoel

HarleyJoel Member

I don't particularly care for the contracts but I wouldn't change from DirecTv for anything else.
  3. TacoKid

TacoKid Member

Can't you just go to the store and buy your own receiver? That is what I did a few years back.
  4. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

You can...but then they make you pay a $4.99 per month lease fee for it. In theory, you never really "own" the box. It's really no different than renting a converter from the cable company...but there's no up front cost with cable.
  5. v1ru5

v1ru5 Well-Known Member

I had DTV until Oct.16 when I switched to Fios TV. Although DTV offered me a sweet deal not to change I could no longer take all the dropouts every time it rains or snows.
  6. AZJoe

AZJoe Member

You need to move to somewhere that it doesnt rain or snow.... hmmm maybe Phoenix , Arizona? LOLLLLL:) I think I have had one drop out in the last 3 years, about as many times as it has rained here...lol
  7. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

I am afflicted with DFS (Displaced Fan Symdrome) and DTV is the only cure. I like the HD content and the service is much better than cable anyway.
  8. v1ru5

v1ru5 Well-Known Member

Arizona gets just a little too warm for me in the summer. Anything above 90 and I ain't comein' outside.
  9. HarleyJoel

HarleyJoel Member

I was not bothered by the "rain-fades" and then I switched back to Comcast where I experienced "for-no-apparent-reason-fades", where I'd frequently lose my signal for sometimes hours at a time. Now I'm back at D*. So long as my dish is properly aligned for the highest signal level, the rain fades are not bothersome (I personally set up my dish after the idiots couldn't get it right).
  10. ????

Say what you mean man
    What the hell is D*?
    D-Star is not television I hate to break it to ya...
  11. drdroo

drdroo #1 by Women 18-24 Staff Member

I've spent too much time on Satelliteguys.us.

D* = DirecTV. E* = Echostar (Dish Network).

D-Star is the Icom digital platform for Amateur Radio. I've no use for that nonsense either.
  12. Dstar

No D-star in Maine?
    I dont know why people abbreviate everything ..... Guess I need to learn your jargon.
  13. drdroo

Not that I know of.. There's a fair deal of APRS here though, so that's something. Of course, I'm not a fan of the fact that D-Star's AMBE codec cannot be implemented in hardware without licensing costs, so the whole thing is sour for me.

73 de K1XVM.

It's the jargon that all of the other Satellite TV sites use.. I didn't make it, I just use it.. :)
  14. TheScionicMan

TheScionicMan Last non-Hating Stern Fan

They gotta get paid one way or the other. It's not that outlandish... Every cellphone ad you see is the same way.
  15. drdroo

I believe with Dish you don't have to take a contract, you just pay install, which is 50-100$. Contract gets you free install.