People with DirecTV, how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Cable & Video' started by Davis, Oct 11, 2008.

1. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

I luv my direct tv-i like the hd dvr too-i used to get pissed when i was watching a digital channel and it wouldnt use the entire screen-with the dvr u can format the digital channels to fit the screen
  2. Davis

Davis Member

Yeah, I see that (about the dish not being a threat). They know that FIOS is coming soon so they gave me a price of, for a year, $89.99 which includes the following:

• Digital Cable with HD
    • One HD box
    • One HD DVR Box
    • Cable Internet
    • Their phone plan
    • HowardTV free for 6 months
    • Free Starz for a year
    • Free Showtime for a year

Yes, all of that for $89.99 plus taxes. I was paying $169 for DirecTV, two HD boxes no DVR. $25.00 for Vonage. $65.00 for cable internet (I need cable because I work from home through VPNs). That is a savings of, about, $90/month. Yes, I am saving $90/month and gaining OnDemand.
  3. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

That's an awesome deal you got there!! :bigthumbup: If FiOS comes to town, they'll probably extend that.
  4. Davis

Davis Member

That's the plan. Being that I could get that deal, there was no way I was signing another contract. The price is about 1/2 off when you factor in the premium channels.
  5. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

I agree with you it sucks. I love Directv and all,but that two year crap is the worst. I made sure when I signed up that I had all the boxes I wanted. I read dbs forums before hand and I saw all that crap that Directv does. Now on the good side they atleast let you have as many DVR's as you want and only charge you $5.99. Plus your first reciver fee is waived. If I went back to Time (Shitty) Warner I would be paying an extra $40 in DVR fees and that extra reciver fee. I do think that worst part of Directv are those contracts. Yea I know I know I may not be leaving anyway,but still 2 years for getting another DVR? Thats messed up.
  6. acap

acap Member

I have DirecTV. Its OK. I order the NFL Sunday Ticket and never get any games. I had a guy look at my setup and he didn't know what the problem was. I'm looking into DishNetwork.
  7. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Dish Network won't help you with the football. It's only on DirecTV. :confused:
    I'm surprised a DirecTV contractor was not able to fix your problem. The setup is not really all that complex, although getting those newer dishes aimed can sometimes be challenging without the right equipment. Any tree or other line of sight issues??
  8. drdroo

drdroo #1 by Women 18-24 Staff Member

Dish Network won't help with football, but why bother having DirecTV if you don't have football?

I don't regret switching, especially considering how DirecTV treats their customers.
  9. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

That's always been my hangup with the dish. Say what you will about the cable company (they are not perfect), but in my area they'll almost always have a tech here within a day or two if there is a problem. And if you are relatively decent to them (and throw them a few bucks), you won't get billed even if the problem is in your house...the tech can write it up as a loose fitting on the grounding block or at the tap.
  10. drdroo

drdroo #1 by Women 18-24 Staff Member

I installed my Dish setup myself... I expect nothing except to be left alone.. I told them they don't have a certified climber to climb a telecom tower and I wasn't going to let them. That ended the discussion quickly.

Time Warner here is alright, but I like my ~100 HD channels instead of ~30. Heck, the cable co has been in dispute with the local CBS station since Time Warner acquired the former Adelphia market.
  11. Davis

Davis Member

limegrass, Comcast now has a $4 fee you can pay, before the service call, in case there is an issue in your house. If it is with your house they will fix it free of choice (even if you have to run all new cable in your house).
  12. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

That's a pretty decent insurance policy.
  13. Davis

Davis Member

Yeah except I just realized that I am scatterbrained today. Free of choice??? :eek:
  14. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

I'm scatterbrained every day. Don't fight it...just lay back and enjoy it!!! :Smiley_wink:
  15. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

Call to cancel Directv but when you try they will ask why and you tell them.
  16. SatRadioRules

SatRadioRules Member

Hey Tex, nice to "see" you ... hope all is well with you and yours.

I've had DirecTV since 1998...no plans to leave it, very pleased with the service, so the contracts don't bother me. My other choices are Comcast (yeah, right) or DISH (nothing good/bad to say about it...just happy with DTV). No Fios in my neighborhood, not sure I would change anyway.
  17. Davis

Davis Member

I'm not sure if that is a statement or a suggestion. In any event, it is the obvious thing to do. :rolleyes:
  18. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

It is a suggestion based on expierence. I have told many to do this and it has always worked. Directv wanted $160 to go to my brothers house and add a line for my mothers room, I told him to call and cancel and they asked why and he told them. Said that he could get 4 rooms at N/C on Dish, and they said is that all? They did the work for free and gave him $10 off his bill for a year.
  19. Davis

Davis Member

No, my issue was/is the contract(s). They won't take away the contracts unless you pay full price for the equipment. No begging/threatening will change that.
  20. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey