1. Hectic Art has been promoted to Admin. See the thread in the News section.

PC vs Mac

Discussion in 'Apple' started by later, Feb 23, 2012.

1. later

later New Member

Thinking of switching over to mac from pc. What are the advantages and disadvantage of macs? I'm thinking of getting this one.

Apple MacBook Pro MD313LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop
    Is that a good model?

Thanks
    Aaron likes this.
  2. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

Maybe this thread should be moved to the Political Asylum?

:D
  3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

LOL.
    No need for that. We won't let folks stray off topic.
  4. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

Mac = pay more, get less. I can build a top of the line PC for $1500. The same mac will cost $3000.
  5. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

Wouldn't that be pay more, get the same? :p

Anyhow, to actually answer the question, what sorts of things do you do on your computer now?

If it's gaming, I'd say don't switch. Not that you can't find Mac versions of your games, but I think it general hardcore gamers end up disappointed by performance. Some publishers use an emulation layer, though I think Valve's Steam platform is native, and supposedly performs well. YMMV.

For most apps and tasks, though, you will find a Mac version, or a competing app by a different author. The biggest thing you will have to deal with is the frustration you will feel from switching. Since each OS does things their own way, your muscle memory will hang you up as you try to do a copy/paste or the like - until you get used to the new way.

Probably the biggest negative you might run across would be if you need specific cross-platform compatibility. Office is available from Microsoft, but Visio is not - so if you need to collaborate and share .vsd files or whatever, you can't unless you use VMWare or Parallels to virtualize a Windows environment.

The model you mention is perfectly fine. Generally you won't notice the 0.4GHz difference in processor speed. I have the low-end MBP from a previous generation and it's still going strong. That model, though, if you do want to do some serious gaming may not be the best option since it's using the embedded graphics. For casual gaming it would be fine.
  6. later

later New Member

I don't do any gaming, Just surf the web and watch videos on you tube. My laptop is almost 5yrs old. It takes forever to boot up.. I disabled all of the programs on start up,except for the anti virus. Still takes forever like 15min before i can use it. Many of the pcs I look at don't get good reviews I was gonna get a toshiba but can find one that gets good reviews. Can I have some advice on what a good brand would be? I would like to stay away from HP.
  7. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

If you are just going online, then you will be greatly overpaying for the privilege to do so with a macbook pro.

My personal laptop at home is an ASUS and I've had nothing but good things from it. It cost about $529 a year ago.

Now, for the money you are willing to spend on a Macbook, you can get the TOP OF THE LINE Windows based maching. Samsung makes a nice laptop, as does ASUS. The new ULTRABOOKS are really sweet and cost about $999.
  8. memebag

memebag Unspeakable Leakness

If you're just surfing the web and watching videos, get an iPad. Boot times? What are those?
  9. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

My tablet is awesome for that too. Work issued me a laptop that I have to keep with me all the time, but man, it's great to have the portability and instant on of the tablet for the light duty stuff.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  10. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

Well there's your problem! ;)

I have a Dell that I bought maybe three years ago that still runs as good as day 1. I'm partial to Dell since I have had good experience with them at work and at home. I paid around $650 for mine and you can get a very nice machine for that price through their website.

As for switching to Apple, that's a personal thing. Just don't do it because you think it'll be a magical solution to all your computer problems. I have family members who's PCs were always trashed and running like crap. They spent thousands on a new mac desktop and now it's just as bad of a dog as their old PC. The only difference is that now I don't even try to help fix their problems ("Go talk to the Genius bar!"). New hardware doesn't break bad habits...
    memebag likes this.
  11. later

later New Member

OK I think I'll stay with PC now.. Is toshiba a good brand? Iv heard mixed reviews.
  12. memebag

memebag Unspeakable Leakness

I prefer Asus over Toshiba.
  13. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

My Dell laptop has been a big improvement over previous HP and Gateway's that I have owned.
  14. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

Reformat.
  15. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

My Toshiba has been trouble free for almost 2 years now. It runs pretty flawlessly but the space bar sucks; it's very small and doesn't always register when it's pressed.

Although, the speakers rock (for a laptop). I would never touch a Compaq or a Dell, as I've had horrendous experience with both.