Pathetic playlists Part II: Boneyard

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
I recorded 5 hours of Boneyard.

The top ten most played bands were: Judas Priest, Black sabbath, Ozzy, Van Halen, Rush, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Metallica, and Alice Cooper

Over a span of 5 hours, Bone Yard played 65 songs, and 32 of them were from one of these 10 bands.

So in conclusion, every other song on boneyard comes from just 10 bands.

Worse than Lithium.

DaddyCanI

Jan 19, 2009
Over a span of 5 hours, Bone Yard played 65 songs, and 32 of them were from one of these 10 bands.

Worse than Lithium.

I know you've posted similar threads before... I'm still confused as to what you expect, or what you define to be a "proper' mix. Would you prefer the top ten bands to represent 1/2? 1/3? 1/20 of the total? Makes no sense.

Also, what your numbers show is that you had 43 different bands account for 65 songs in that time period. That doesn't sound too terrible to me.

Just for comparison's sake, I scanned the 1:44:30 that I currently have in my Boneyard radio replay:

• 22 songs, from 20 different bands.
  • The two bands that represented four of those songs were Iron Maiden & Alice Cooper. The songs weren't repeats, however.

Interestingly, those numbers match up pretty well proportionally to yours, so it's not a sample size issue. (E.g., your sample had songs every 4.62 min, mine every 4.75; yours averaged 13 songs per min, mine 12.8, etc.)

So, again, what do you define as too many band repeats?

Perhaps it is an issue of length of time. Very few folks listen to a specific station intently for 5+ hours at a time. And those that do are very likely not going to care that a band heard in hour 5 was played earlier sometime during hour 1.

Honestly, I've been blown away at the increase in bands played on Sirius 19 since the merger (& post-AC/DC nonsense). Buzzsaw didn't have one/half of the bands that Boneyard seems to play.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
I know you've posted similar threads before... I'm still confused as to what you expect, or what you define to be a "proper' mix. Would you prefer the top ten bands to represent 1/2? 1/3? 1/20 of the total? Makes no sense.

Also, what your numbers show is that you had 43 different bands account for 65 songs in that time period. That doesn't sound too terrible to me.

Just for comparison's sake, I scanned the 1:44:30 that I currently have in my Boneyard radio replay:

• 22 songs, from 20 different bands.
  • The two bands that represented four of those songs were Iron Maiden & Alice Cooper. The songs weren't repeats, however.

Interestingly, those numbers match up pretty well proportionally to yours, so it's not a sample size issue. (E.g., your sample had songs every 4.62 min, mine every 4.75; yours averaged 13 songs per min, mine 12.8, etc.)

So, again, what do you define as too many band repeats?

Perhaps it is an issue of length of time. Very few folks listen to a specific station intently for 5+ hours at a time. And those that do are very likely not going to care that a band heard in hour 5 was played earlier sometime during hour 1.

Honestly, I've been blown away at the increase in bands played on Sirius 19 since the merger (& post-AC/DC nonsense). Buzzsaw didn't have one/half of the bands that Boneyard seems to play.

If you listen for 1 hour here and there, it's fine.

What do I expect?
I don't know. Boneyard scans about 3 decades of hard rock music. How many hard rock songs do you think were recorded in those 30 years? Yet every other song is from on of these 10 bands?

Ok, so you listened to 22 songs, and 20 were not repeated bands? How many of the 22 songs were from the 10 bands listen above? Are you happy that you can only get through 20 songs before repetition?

I DARE you to listen for 1 continuous hour without hearing Sabbath, Priest, or Maiden. I dare you. I bet you can't.

Evan on my local FM station, where maybe Led Zep is most played band, I can go several hours between zep songs.

I expect a lot more from Sirius.

The first day of the channel merger, I turned on lithium. In the first 5 songs I head 2 that I never heard on lithium before, and 1 that I never heard before... EVER. I discovered new bands that I missed back in the day. I loved it.

Now, in January 09 I recorded 6 hours, and 3 hours were just 13 bands.

And by the way, I'm only listing the MOST repeated bands. There are many more repetitions.
50% of the songs on boneyard are from 10 bands. If I counted the top 15 or 20, that percentage would certainly rise.

Yes we all know that bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, Sabbath etc... are the foundation and inspiration for so much modern rock. I get it. And I can hear them right now on any of my 5 local FM rock stations. I'm not expecting the playlists to be obscure and unpopular, but come on.. Dig at least a little deeper. And don't forget that there are so many great songs from bands that didn't last for decades and records hundreds of songs. Just play great hard rock, and quit playing only "Monsters of rock"...

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
remember I defended the merger ad-nausium against all those saying:
Sirius will make the post merged channel like FM, reduced playlists, more repetition, etc...

Then I worked on proving them all wrong post-merger.

But slowly... in the long run.... almost unnoticeably to the occasional listener, all those people were right and I hate that.

I still love the service. Howard has been my absolute favorite source of entertainment (and has been on fire lately), and I've been recording 6 hr blocks on my favorite channels so I can just skip over all of the repetition. I'm not going anywhere, but believe me, these channels have been reducing playlists a lot over the past several months.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Yet, classic Vinyl is just the opposite.

I recorded 78 songs in an 6 hour block.

ONLY 6 bands were played more than 2 times.
and only 8 others were played MORE THAN ONE TIME,

In the 78 songs, I heard from 52 different bands.

Not bad.

Now, I know lithium can never have a deep enough library to do this, but I feel that Boneyard could greatly improve.

DaddyCanI

Jan 19, 2009
If you listen for 1 hour here and there, it's fine.

Are you happy that you can only get through 20 songs before repetition?

I DARE you to listen for 1 continuous hour without hearing Sabbath, Priest, or Maiden. I dare you. I bet you can't.

Well, actually, repetition of bands doesn't bother me, repetition of songs does. And no, if I hear Iron Maiden when I turn the channel on, then hear another Iron Maiden song 90-105 minutes later, it doesn't bother me (which is the proven repetition rate that you and I have defined).

To answer your question, any channel that called itself "classic hard rock" had BETTER play a song from Sabbath, Priest, or Maiden every hour or so. Otherwise you'd have folks posting threads saying "where are the best classic hard rock bands? Why do they only play Iron Freaking Maiden once in a while?!?"

I guess my point is that it's relative. Do you seriously expect Boneyard to play a single song from every single hard rock band in their library, then do it over again and again? Ridiculous. It's obvious that there will be band repetition.

So what's reasonable? No band repetition for five hours straight? None for three hours? Two? One? When I posted my own results, you seemed to think that was unreasonable that two bands would be repeated over a 1hr 45 min span. I personally don't think that's bad at all.

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
I figure if people want it like this:

"Do you seriously expect Boneyard (or any other channel for that matter) to play a single song from every single hard rock band in their library, then do it over again and again?"

Then satellite radio is probaly not for you, maybe you should look into an IPOD or other similar kind of device due to the fact that you can control the playlists or artists that are played to your heart's content, and you can load every single song from every single band from any genre and listen to that library that is created as long as you would like to.

Now I remember reading somewhere, on here no less, that the average radio listener listens to the radio for an average of 15 mins a day, now I'm not saying thats what you all do, (well its obvious you don't) but I think a lot of the people that have said bye bye to Sirius is either due to cutting back spending, not being able to listen to songs they know (most people that I know), or listening to it too much and bitching about how "shallow" the playlists are/were.

As I have previouly stated in other threads, I was a big fan pre merger but not as much anymore, the only real thing I listen to now is the NASCAR coverage and b/c I can't watch or listen to the Colts where I live at.

Last edited:

Charles Hoover

Mar 5, 2009
I can't do the bone!

I recorded 5 hours of Boneyard.

The top ten most played bands were: Judas Priest, Black sabbath, Ozzy, Van Halen, Rush, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Metallica, and Alice Cooper

Worse than Lithium.

But I do like Classic Vinyl & Rewind.
Hair Nation when I want to hear some screachin'!:buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

Boges

Oct 15, 2008
This is not the only station. I swear BPM plays the same songs every hour. It's horrible. So glad I'm paying for this top notch service.

Charles Hoover

Mar 5, 2009
:bigcry::bigcry
This is not the only station. I swear BPM plays the same songs every hour. It's horrible. So glad I'm paying for this top notch service.

I've been a Sirius subscriber shortly after they went in the air!
It's an evolving process and it's changed alot over 7 years or so.

I'm new to this forum and ussually don't comment when I'm a new forum nebie...but, there seems to be a lot of bashing. No disrespoect meant at all, but you can change the channel or cancel your subscription!

Don't complain...do something!
Or call Sirus/XM & complain!

:bigcry:

Charles Hoover

Mar 5, 2009
Psss

:bigcry::bigcry

I've been a Sirius subscriber shortly after they went in the air!
It's an evolving process and it's changed alot over 7 years or so.

I'm new to this forum and ussually don't comment when I'm a new forum nebie...but, there seems to be a lot of bashing. No disrespoect meant at all, but you can change the channel or cancel your subscription!

Don't complain...do something!
Or call Sirus/XM & complain!

:bigcry:

PS-It does sound like bone heads control Boneyard!!

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
I have no problem with Maiden, Sabbath or Priest.
Yes, Boneyard should play them.
But every hour?
I can't listen and NOT hear them. It's very top-40-ish where you can't go an hour without hearing Brittney or whoever is popular at the time.

If they want to have a monsters of rock daily show, fine. But to dedicate 12 hours a day, 7 days a week to the 10 boneyard monsters is really getting tiresome.

Alright, channel changed, whining over. My main complaint is that it was better immediately after the merger and has been getting worse.

vanzant77

Mar 12, 2009
Peru Indiana
Listen to the playlist on Boneyard and compare it to the playlist that Buzzsaw had and its night and day. Bring back BUZZSAW!!! The Dj's were better and had more variety.
Just my opinion.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Smartass answer:

Hey! It's better than a few months ago. At least they're playing non-AC/DC bands now.

:)