Pat Cooper on Jackie's Joke Hunt tonight

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Wasn't he on once before?

Anyway, tonight is the "Iconic Comic Hunt" JJH number 149. 7 PM ET on Howard 101.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I still DESPISE this show more than SFRT. I wish they'd move his show to 11pm and move riley to 6pm, cuz tuesday is the only day of the week where I work late and listen to specialty programming every week guarunteed.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
He should have Alice Cooper in there.

Maybe I'd listen.

/No I wouldn't. Still sucks.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
cooper is really fuckin cool so i tried to listen last week. i just cant get through that show. i lasted maybe 20mins and ten of those were me just hoping it would get better. i like jackie when hes just telling joke after joke, but man he really blows trying to interview or tell stories.

-jhdk

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
cooper is really fuckin cool so i tried to listen last week. i just cant get through that show. i lasted maybe 20mins and ten of those were me just hoping it would get better. i like jackie when hes just telling joke after joke, but man he really blows trying to interview or tell stories.

-jhdk

Heeee hee hooo hawwwwww heeeeeee hoooooo!!

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
I haven't listened since that time I paid my mother the $60 in back rent that I didn't owe. It's a two-way street! It's a two-way street!

Seriously, Jackie's story is a sad one. He simply thought he was more important to the show than he actually was. Sure, the chemistry was there, but Jackie often compared himself and the Stern gang to The Beatles. The Joke Hunt prooves he was more like Murray The K. Maybe.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I haven't listened since that time I paid my mother the $60 in back rent that I didn't owe. It's a two-way street! It's a two-way street!

Seriously, Jackie's story is a sad one. He simply thought he was more important to the show than he actually was. Sure, the chemistry was there, but Jackie often compared himself and the Stern gang to The Beatles. The Joke Hunt prooves he was more like Murray The K. Maybe.

I strongly disagree.

His story is sad in many ways, but you should not devalue his contribution to Howard and his show. You matter-of-factly stepped over the word chemistry as if it had no meaning. In my opinion, Jackie's absence from the show has continued to leave a gaping whole in not only the chemistry and the structure of the show, but also the rapid fire comic "ad-libs" from Howard that no longer exist and the dynamic tension that made for what was the greatest radio show of all time.

People can hate on Jackie all they want, the proof is still in the shows of his time.

I'm feeling that the reason you posted this thought was to tell your Murray the K joke.

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
...dynamic tension...

Okay, sorry for another bad joke ... but that's not why I'm responding...

Jackie wasn't the reason for Howard's success. The show was funny and popular before and after Jackie appeared on it. Fred, Billy West and others gave jokes and ideas to Howard too, and it was up to Howard whether or not he would use them. My point was the Joke Hunt is horrible.

I love Jackie, but Jackie's ego got the better of him. He thought he was so important and so talented that he could walk off the show and still have a job, even after being offered a ton of money (an amount never revealed other than that it was 4 1/2 times Gary's salary -- I'm guessing that's at least half a mil). Stern repeatedly told Jackie if he didn't return he wouldn't take him back, and when Jackie finally decided to come back Howard said no, it was too late.

I remember the show "slipping" around 2000 before Jackie even left, and then wondering when Jackie was gone shortly thereafter if people would forget and think the show had changed simply because Jackie left.

I like the show now even though Howard is not as on fire or outrageous or trying to prove he's the best as much as he used to. Jackie was great, Stuttering John was great and Billy West was great. But things change and Howard would have mellowed with or without them. I'm not devaluing Jackie's past contributions at all. It's just that in my opinion Stern's success went to Jackie's head.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I'll never think what Jackie did as being the smartest move, but then again there is a part of me that respected his decision to walk away, much in the same way that Bellicheat went for it on fourth and two deep in his own side of the field, you knew it was a risky move but you kind of respect him more for making that choice and not being a pussy.

Pride comes before a fall, and Jackie looked to have lots and lots of it to make his fall all the more dramatic. In my opinion, Howard hasn't been nearly as funny as when the Jokeman was the primary writer, when the Jokeman was a chief ball buster as well as target and when the show was funnier. Jackie really felt that his contribution to the show was overlooked and he wanted credit...I really can't fault him for that.

If you had said you didn't like Jokehunt, I would have totally understood. I haven't listened to that show in a year and a half...easily. There's way too much stuff out there that I listen to regularly to commit to that show. In fact, I haven't listened to Howard since early October. The point is...sometimes it's alright to move on. Long live the old Howard Stern Show...long may it live in the tapes team heaven.