Past champs provision = forever?

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here
After listening Moody talk about the Labonte/Said shenanigans that will take place this weekend i got to thinking about something. For those that missed it I'll recap. It appears that past champ Terry Labonte is listed as a driver this weekend at Watkins Glen. It also appears that he will attempt to qualify and if does not make it will use that past champ provisional to guarantee entry into the race. It also appears that once he makes it in that a driver change to Boris Said will take place on that car. All this to me has WRONG written all over it, but alas is allowed within the current rules.

So my thoughts led to this question. Should the past champions provisional be eternal, permanent and forever? Using the same strategy that Labonte is using what is stopping the King or Dale Jarret from qualifying *cough* a car and using that provision to get an up and coming star in a race? I think that the past champs provision should be applied to drivers that have driven X number of races in the last 24 months. That factor of X should be at least 10 but not more than 20.

Discuss.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I think that there is already a limit of six times that it can be used during a season. I don't think that there is anything that is stopping Jarrett or Petty other than being retired. How many past champions could qualify under your rules? There may only be one, Jarrett. If your in the top 35 in points, you can't use a past champions provisional.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Rain outs don't count against that 6 times. I believe all past champions get in when qualifing is rained out :shock:
Posted via Mobile Device

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
A few years ago I would have said yes to the past champions provisional as I think a former winner and champion of the sport should be rewarded with something. However, after seeing the nonsense thats been pulled in the last few years with this, its a joke.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
A few years ago I would have said yes to the past champions provisional as I think a former winner and champion of the sport should be rewarded with something. However, after seeing the nonsense thats been pulled in the last few years with this, its a joke.

Yup it's a loophole to get cars into the filed that can't do it on time. I'd rather a start and park earn their way in rather than whats going on with Lebonte and Said. Said is a good road course driver (so is Terry, actually) let him qualify and drive the race. This changing drivers loophole after a past champ provisional has been used needs to be closed ASAP.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
The provisional should ONLY be available to full-time drivers. Part-time & it's a no go:thumbsdown: