Panhandlers. What do you do?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
For some odd reason people think that trucks make butt loads of money and can just give it out anytime someone comes to a truck stop and asks for it :right:

I don't like to give them anything, but I have given them a dollar or two in the past. I remember hearing a bum on The Howard Stern Show say he uses the money to buy drugs. I'm not down on that so I've stopped giving money to people that ask.

People have asked me for money for gas, and instead of giving them the money, I'll go inside the truck stop and hand the clerk some money so that person can get gas. But then I thought about it. If they don't use the money they have on gas, then they'll use it on drugs :worried:

What do you do with Panhandlers?

Give them money?

Give them food?

Refuse to give them money?

Make them wash your windows?

Tell Management they have bums in their parking lot?

Let them perform indecent asks on you for money? :shock:

Bible says to do unto others as they would do unto you. Jesus also said that what so every you do unto other you do unto me :right:

I just would like to know what others do in this situation :)

edit: I tried making this a pole, but created it before I checked off the Pole Options :worried:

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I was taught growing up not to give money to people on the street since they would just use it to buy booze or something. I rarely give money like that but have made exceptions.

I'm totally convinced that some panhandlers near freeway exits and busy spots make over $200 per day. We had a guy in a wheelchair outside the restaurant I worked at consistently pull in $400-$500 per night while the door guy was making maybe $80 in tips. But I feel for the homeless that are not boozing, nor asking for money. A lot of them just seem beat and tired and those are whom I'd be more likely to give to.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
For some odd reason people think that trucks make butt loads of money and can just give it out anytime someone comes to a truck stop and asks for it :right:

I don't like to give them anything, but I have given them a dollar or two in the past. I remember hearing a bum on The Howard Stern Show say he uses the money to buy drugs. I'm not down on that so I've stopped giving money to people that ask.

People have asked me for money for gas, and instead of giving them the money, I'll go inside the truck stop and hand the clerk some money so that person can get gas. But then I thought about it. If they don't use the money they have on gas, then they'll use it on drugs :worried:

What do you do with Panhandlers?

Give them money?

Give them food?

Refuse to give them money?

Make them wash your windows?

Tell Management they have bums in their parking lot?

Let them perform indecent asks on you for money? :shock:

Bible says to do unto others as they would do unto you. Jesus also said that what so every you do unto other you do unto me :right:

I just would like to know what others do in this situation :)

edit: I tried making this a pole, but created it before I checked off the Pole Options :worried:

I haven't even seen a truck stop and I've been here (in this part of NJ) all my life.

As a little boy (in the early 1970's), raised in Paterson, NJ, in an Italian-American neighborhood, there were "hobos". 75-100 homeless people that walked to the Church for food.

People living a normal life avoided them. Especially the kids, who were warned by their parents.

Moving forward, (1980+) NYC was a little scary (but I loved it)... homeless people rushing your car to badly clean windows and expect money, and (some) if you didn't pay they'd keyed your car as you tried to get away from them. People living in refrigerator boxes, on the streets, and I can go on and on.

Rudy changed that.

NOW, as far as New York City is concerned, I've been approached by some that ask me for a cigarette, or change. And largely they're innocent people.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I've actually never been approached by panhandlers before. I never realized I was that unapproachable, lol. Is there something wrong with me? :right:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I learned in college not to confuse the homeless with panhandlers. I knew some panhandlers who worked the campus area in Austin. They had houses in the suburbs, drove in every day, hung out, smoked weed, drank beer and lived a pretty sweet life.

I never give panhandlers money.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I've actually never been approached by panhandlers before. I never realized I was that unapproachable, lol. Is there something wrong with me? :right:

No, not at all! You're totally approachable!

Come to NYC! LOL!

I have to tell you something.

When we see our friends we hang out in Chelsea. It's a GREAT area of the city.

Brownstones, ivy, trees, etc. Just beautiful. Old impressive architecture, fantastic restaurants.... (I can go on and on, but I digress... :p) The PEOPLE is what makes it.

I want to live there, it's just way too expensive.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Panhandling is illegal in this town, if I'm approached I say no and immediately get on the phone to the cops to give them a description of the person.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'm in the suburbs of Denver, about 10 miles North. I'm not sure about Denver proper. You do see a lot of it in the city limits. So I don't imagine there are any laws against it there. If there are, they aren't enforced for s**t.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
My usual line is: 'Sorry buddy, good luck.' & keep on moving.

The only guy I've given money to was a homeless guy I used to see when I worked in downtown Chicago. He used to play a tuba (if you can call it that) he was playing This Old Man - kind of, dancing & having a great time. I thought he was having fun & working for it. I took a buck out of my pocket to hand him, but he wouldnt stop playing to take it. He leaned forward & looked up @ the horn. So I balled up the bill + threw it in. He bowed & kept playing.

Ever seen him Taylor? I saw him a lot in the mid 90's.
Posted via Mobile Device

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
My usual line is: 'Sorry buddy, good luck.' & keep on moving.

The only guy I've given money to was a homeless guy I used to see when I worked in downtown Chicago. He used to play a tuba (if you can call it that) he was playing This Old Man - kind of, dancing & having a great time. I thought he was having fun & working for it. I took a buck out of my pocket to hand him, but he wouldnt stop playing to take it. He leaned forward & looked up @ the horn. So I balled up the bill + threw it in. He bowed & kept playing.

Ever seen him Taylor? I saw him a lot in the mid 90's.
Posted via Mobile Device

There was one guy who used to play the sax right next to water tower place that probably was seen by a ton of people, but not sure if I've seen the Tuba guy.