Pandora: What's your favorite station?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Do you have a favorite station on Pandora?

I can tell you I have two, two which I've been unable to even closely replicate on Slacker.

Spa Radio and Nature Sounds Radio. I LOVE BOTH THOSE STATIONS!

Great for going to bed, great for relaxing, great for playing in the background at the office.

Most other stations I've been able to create better stations on Slacker, but not these two.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well I guess that says a lot about Pandora that no one seems to have any favorites! :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Hey Dig, can you tell us a bit about Sonos? How does that work? I've never checked into it! Yeah, we'll expand the topic a little bit, but that is okay.... :)

digital100

Oct 15, 2008
Northern Virginia
Sure, it is an awesome product for Digital Radio listeners. It started out as a product for playing all your own stored music from your computer or nas to your audio system. It uses its own mesh wireless network which is much more reliable than 802.11 and it lets you create multiple zones throughout your house by adding additional zone players. The boxes are very compact and have analog and digital outputs to work with a large audio system or something small like a Bose wave radio.

A couple years ago they added the online music services which now include Rhapsody, Pandora, Sirius, and Last.fm. So you can play all those services through your audio system without your computer. It has a very high quality DAC and produces great sound. Rhapsody streams at 192kbs and others stream at 128kbs. I do not have any stored music and only use the online music services. I have two zones.

You can control it with their CR100 handheld controller, desktop controller installed on a laptop, or the new Apple Iphone/Itouch controller. The IPhone/Itouch and desktop controller software is free. The controllers can control what music plays on each zone and the volume, and it shows you the now playing with album art.

What i really like is the reliability. It just works all the time. When using my laptop or Nokia tablet to play music services, I always felt like I needed to poke and prod and restart it to keep running. Every time I turn on Sonos, it starts right away, no skips, no drop outs, and it keeps going for many hours, subject to the music service timeout limits.

You can get started for a reasonable price of $349 for your first zone and use the free controller software. It is easy to add more zones later. The product is similar to Tivo in that it is self-improving with new features and services added to the zone players a couple times a year. But I find the quality of their software releases to be far better than Tivo.

Many hours of music played every day at our house!

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Pandora... all I ever listened too was custom stations.(I do wish slacker could add/learn songs like pandora)

Sonos is da chit!
I set up my friend with one. 750GB of digital music at your fingertips throughout the whole house. He has 4 zones, but they go up to 14, I think.
I will have to tell him about the iphone app. It really needed an option other than the bulky, although slick, remote and pc interface. It also tunes in tons and tons of free internet radio. ( or did digi100 say that?)

digital100

Oct 15, 2008
Northern Virginia
Xan, that is right. They added the Internet Radio (through RadioTime) last year. I do not listen to that very often because the sound quality is not nearly as good as the music services.

I also forgot to mention that they have the Napster service, but I don't subscribe because I get Rhapsody instead.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I added Singer-Songwriter radio. Bruce Springsteen, Warren Zevon, Jim Croce, Paul Simon, Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, CSN&Y, Jimmy Buffett. The artist exploration is the best part of it, It has played artists I never knew existed.

Johnny Dollar

Mar 27, 2009
I'm really confused - Pandora has stations? All I've ever used it for is to add and subtract artists and songs and create my own - this is one of the reasons I like Slacker over Pandora; because I can choose from the already programmed stations. I just went and looked at Pandora on my iPhone and the website and can't find anything about already made stations.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm really confused - Pandora has stations? All I've ever used it for is to add and subtract artists and songs and create my own - this is one of the reasons I like Slacker over Pandora; because I can choose from the already programmed stations. I just went and looked at Pandora on my iPhone and the website and can't find anything about already made stations.

Yes, you have to go to the web interface and then click on genres and they will have a list of them with stations they created under them. The good news is that once you add them they show up on your device for playing. I also like the fact that these stations can also be tweaked even more to your liking. I guess at that point it becomes customized. But yeah Pandora has as I said in my original post a few really good stations that Slacker can't even come close to matching in terms of new age and meditation music.