Pandora hits 40 million users

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Pandora Hits 40 Million Users

December 17, 2009 3:24 p.m. by Chris Bosman

Pandora, the streaming online radio station, has been growing steadily since its inception, booming particularly over the course of the past year. According to a report from Hypebot around half of those users were added in 2009 alone, and already in December they’ve added 600,000 users each week.

Pandora has managed this success by staying on the cutting edge of new technologies and looking for new ways to distribute their product. Around 300,000 new users each week in December joined Pandora over their smart phones. The company is also looking to incorporate their product into vehicles.

Apple's purchase of Lala was the latest in many blows to ad-supported streaming music, but Pandora’s increasing success is reason to believe that the system, if managed properly, could work. [Hypebot]

Pandora Hits 40 Million Users

According to the stats I've seen, about a quarter of those 40 million log in on iPhones by themselves, that doesn't even include Blackberry or Android. That is astounding!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah, that is number is how many has a login account, but doesn't reflect how many are actually Pandora One subscribers!

I think numbers like this are rather disingenuous because they really don't mean that much in the grand scheme of things. It is really just a number of how many have actually setup accounts. How many of those accounts are abandonded?

I do like Pandora, not as much as Slacker, but there are a few stations I've created on there that are pretty good. Also Pandora doesn't seem to have nearly as big of a library in many genres as compared to Slacker. Yet in some genres they do a bit better job but mostly those are niche like new age, meditation etc.

I am glad to see Pandora doing well because just the end of 2008 it didn't look like they were going to make it.

MNXMFan

Oct 24, 2008
This might be a bit more helpful in determining the sucess of Padora:

Pandora jumps to #1 for Domestic rankings based on Average Active Sessions from 6a.m.-8p.m. weekdays, with 230,435 AAS and over 66.8 million session starts in October. CBS Radio is #2, followed by Clear Channel Radio, Citadel Broadcasting and Entercom at #5. When expanded to all week and 6a.m.-midnight, the rankings remained the same.

So, 230,000 people listening at any given time, and 66 million "session starts". Session starts would be simular to CUME in Terrestrial and Satelite radio.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I may even have a login. I can't remember if it let me get that far before it told me to "F*** off you damn Canadian".

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I don't have a pandora account - and don't see the
reason to have one. I'm so behind the times!

Recently at our staff Christmas Party I used Slacker as the background music. We are talking about 80 employees at this party. I always give my usual yearly announcements. During that process someone asked me about the music. I told them it was Slacker Radio. They all looked puzzled, someone asked is that a local radio station? I was like NO Internet Radio, Slacker, well maybe you've heard of Pandora. I didn't ask everyone in the room, but clearly I could tell the bulk of them had never heard of Slacker or Pandora. The only thing I kept hearing is you usually always have sat radio playing during the Christmas Party.

So there are a lot of people that not only have no interest they don't even know it exist!

My one suggestion though is that I think these services sell themselves. Once you try them, you quickly begin to see how weak Sat Radio is in its music offerings.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Too bad we can't have Slacker on SiriusXM. Somehow, maybe have the ability to control the music online, which may or may not be able to affect the listening through the individual radios.