Palm Pre

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I didn't know where to put this so I thought this forum would do. My wife just got the new Pre and I'm on a waiting list for one. I was just wondering if anyone else has one yet. My first impression of the device.............WOW. It's a nice little package and it works great with music and movies. It syncs right with Itunes. Not to many apps yet,but I did put Pandora on there for her. It's nice to be able to listen to Pandora while checking email and surfing the net. I also like the Sprint TV app. Live TV is always nice. I'm not trying to get into an Iphone vs pre fight. I like both phones,but the mutitasking on the Pre is something the Iphone really needs. Please if anyone else has one discuss.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I have a Palm Centro. It's a nice little phone. Don't know if I'd buy the same phone if I had the chance. Maybe I'd go with a BlackBerry :)

I still have another year with this phone. If I decided to stay with Sprint I may bet a Pre. Maybe I'll go with Verizon and get an iPhone next year. Or maybe I'll do nothing next year. Who knows.

Let us know more about the Pre and how you like or dislike it :)

Reactions: limegrass69

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I really wish all these exclusive deals would go away! Just like AT&T being the only carrier with the iPhone, I feel Apple should have made a version for all carriers.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I have a Palm Centro. It's a nice little phone. Don't know if I'd buy the same phone if I had the chance. Maybe I'd go with a BlackBerry :)

I still have another year with this phone. If I decided to stay with Sprint I may bet a Pre. Maybe I'll go with Verizon and get an iPhone next year. Or maybe I'll do nothing next year. Who knows.

Let us know more about the Pre and how you like or dislike it :)

After having the Pre for a while I have to say that I love it. I had the first Iphone and I was amazed by it. I jailbroke and unlocked it. I use it as a back up Go Phone and an Ipod Touch. I loved that phone.

First off the Pre's multitasking is great. I love running Pandora while on the web. I love Sprint TV. Watching live TV on it is great. I may upgrade my package when college football starts so I can get ESPN mobile(Yep its live too). The camera works well and is a lot better than the first Iphone. Plus I like having a physical keyboard. The MMS program is great eveything shows right up in a chat. As I've stated before I went with the Pre and Sprint because it was cheaper. I get unlimited everything for $99-23% discount from my job. AT&T can't beat that. I still love the Iphone and I use it for my slacker and aol radio. I hear Iphone fanboys saying "Yea but it has no apps". Thats true it has little,but people forget Apple didn't even have an app store for the first Iphone. They waited for the 3G. So really they have no argument there.

I really wish all these exclusive deals would go away! Just like AT&T being the only carrier with the iPhone, I feel Apple should have made a version for all carriers.

I'm with you man. I hate these exclusive deals too. The Iphone would sell 10's of millions if it was on other carriers. I just hated how AT&T bent people over for the 3G. Raising the data price by $10 and no texts? That was the final draw for me. Plus their coverage in my area was bad. I know its different around the country.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah, I've read some mixed reviews, but overall the bulk of the reviews are really good for the Pre. Palm really had to go all out with the Pre, because they were being killed my Apple and RIM. They hope to climb back in the Smartphone arena with this phone. I like the way it looks, but they don't have nearly the amount of software apps available, but I am sure with time that will change.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

Those exclusive deals are subsidizing these smart phones. AT&T is paying Apple through the nose to get people onto their network. I imagine Sprint is doing the same with Palm. In the end, you pay less for the hardware.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Those exclusive deals are subsidizing these smart phones. AT&T is paying Apple through the nose to get people onto their network. I imagine Sprint is doing the same with Palm. In the end, you pay less for the hardware.

I think we all understand that, but I'll pay the cost if I can use whatever phone I want on whatever network I want! I think many would! So this is a non issue and the fact that this keeps getting looked at is going to eventually come to a head.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I think we all understand that, but I'll pay the cost if I can use whatever phone I want on whatever network I want! I think many would! So this is a non issue and the fact that this keeps getting looked at is going to eventually come to a head.

You'd pay $500-$600 for an iPhone? Wow.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
You'd pay $500-$600 for an iPhone? Wow.

If I could buy it and use it anywhere I wanted, I sure would! Because I think Apple would likely not be putting these things out every year, they'd likely go every two years and really add a lot of features, because they would be supporting multiple platforms.

You see unlocked iPhones on Ebay right now for that price, but the problem is that a lot of the features don't worry on other carriers. So there is no point!

I also think when everyone can sell a particular phone then this strange thing called competition kicks in and prices come down! Amazing how that works! But when you are the only ballgame in town you can charge whatever the hell you want.

The original iPhones with no subsidy were sold for $399 and $499, how many millions were sold and these were locked on at AT&T network only!

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I must be an official tight wad now. I can't imagine paying that much for any phone, no matter what it does. Even if it had a BJ app, that's still way too much money for a phone.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
I must be an official tight wad now. I can't imagine paying that much for any phone, no matter what it does. Even if it had a BJ app, that's still way too much money for a phone.
3 words.

Tax write off.

but i cant write off a ETF if i need to switch carriers. so contracts are out of the question.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
The Apple deal is an outlier. Most of these "exclusivity" deals run anywhere from 90 days to a year, then you see the handsets on all carriers. The Apple deal spans several years. If Apple released a CDMA iPhone on Verizon, it would kill. But Verizon would not agree to the financial terms that Apple sought. AT&T decided to play.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

I guess it really depends on what one needs to be able to be efficient and do a job as quickly as possible. I know the phones I have picked for myself has always taken that into consideration. I have to say I've never paid that much for a phone because of the subsidies, but again I would if I could buy a phone and use it where I want. You take my iPhone 3Gs 32gb, I only paid $199, though promotional price is $299, I got an extra hundred off because of my AT&T Presidential rewards program that my agency has because we spend tons of money with AT&T for local phone and DSL service. I get about $100 per quarter in the form of a Visa Gift card.

3 words.

Tax write off.

but i cant write off a ETF if i need to switch carriers. so contracts are out of the question.

That is correct as long as it is a phone that you use to handle your business dealings you can indeed use it as a tax write-off.

The Apple deal is an outlier. Most of these "exclusivity" deals run anywhere from 90 days to a year, then you see the handsets on all carriers. The Apple deal spans several years. If Apple released a CDMA iPhone on Verizon, it would kill. But Verizon would not agree to the financial terms that Apple sought. AT&T decided to play.

You make a very good point, you take the world famous Motorola Razr, those things sold on all carriers like hot cakes, but was eventually relegated to a 2nd class phone, but I remember when the Razr was the talk of the town. I still have a Razr2 and loved it up till the moment my phone was ported to AT&T.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital

You may get a better subsidy if it's exclusive, but almost all phones are subsidized, even the ones available on all carriers.