Orionids Meteor Shower

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
The Orionids generally begin on October 15 and end on October 29, with maximum generally occurring during the morning hours of October 20-22. The Orionids are barely detectable on the beginning and ending dates, but observers in the Northern Hemisphere will see around 20 meteors per hour at maximum, while observers in the Southern Hemisphere will see around 40 meteors per hour. The maximum can last two or three nights, although there is evidence of some fluctuation from year to year.

Basically, if you're up and want to go outside for a bit, you might see some shootin' stars! :drool:

More here

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The Orionids generally begin on October 15 and end on October 29, with maximum generally occurring during the morning hours of October 20-22. The Orionids are barely detectable on the beginning and ending dates, but observers in the Northern Hemisphere will see around 20 meteors per hour at maximum, while observers in the Southern Hemisphere will see around 40 meteors per hour. The maximum can last two or three nights, although there is evidence of some fluctuation from year to year.

Basically, if you're up and want to go outside for a bit, you might see some shootin' stars! :drool:

More here

Cool Hyson! Thanks! I always get clouds when the fun meteor showers happen. Tonight may be no exception. Thanks for the info!

Cool, hyson, thanks!

/I'm terribly bored at work.
:rofl2:

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I used to watch all these--the perseids, the leonids, and so on, but then I moved into town and had children and got a second job.

But they are very cool if you have time.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
2 Years ago I woke up the kids at 4:00 AM and we trounced out to watch the Perseids (Mid August) it was however, unseasonably cool (but very, very clear) IIRC it was about 40 degrees. We fixed hot chocolate though, and they still talk about it to this day.

Reactions: hyson

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
2 Years ago I woke up the kids at 4:00 AM and we trounced out to watch the Perseids (Mid August) it was however, unseasonably cool (but very, very clear) IIRC it was about 40 degrees. We fixed hot chocolate though, and they still talk about it to this day.

Awww :ter: +1

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York

That's a cool story.

The only thing to get my kids moving at that time of day is a rainbow. And since there are none at that time of day.....
No way they'd get out of bed at 4:00 AM unless it was to go the airport to catch a plane to Disney World.