Onyx Plus

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I understand, we like what we like. The only day I ever tuned in to that show was the day back after Cumia got canned. How anyone in their right mind can get through 4 hours of that a day is way beyond my pay grade.

I think you might've done a disservice to yourself and hopefully you go back and listen again at some point. I definitely wouldn't use that moment in time as the benchmark for the show. Not every show is gold, certainly, but the same is true for any other show, like many of the Stern shows I've heard lately. I usually do try to catch both, though.

Admittedly, I started listening to the show as result of a friend, and at a time where Jim and Anthony were in studio and not Opie. With Anthony gone, I'm left with a bit less interest in the show, but the guests lately have made up for it. Pete Davidson is great, Artie's been in a few times as well and was great. Race Wars, on the same channel with Sherrod and Kurt is good too.

I do think they should pretty much destroy the entire political talk channel setup and replace it with something more interesting. I don't have any interest in those shows and I'd be interested to see the stats of who is listening to them. They're just boring.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Get some information on the world you live in like from POTUS or something man. Opie and dopie are radio turpentine. Any good host has you clued into what's going on every three minutes. Those guys have been doing what amounts to a current day podcast for like what 20 years.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Wasn't this an Onxy plus discussion anyway? I decided not to get an onxy plus. With what Artie said on his podcast today I think Opie & Jim will be the raciest show on satellite after howard leaves. I don't see the show returning with what I heard over the last week.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Get some information on the world you live in like from POTUS or something man. Opie and dopie are radio turpentine. Any good host has you clued into what's going on every three minutes. Those guys have been doing what amounts to a current day podcast for like what 20 years.

POTUS is equally a snooze. I spend a lot of time reading about this stuff instead. I have an hour commute each way here. It's like listening to Classical Music in the vehicle, certain to make me crash into something. If I'm not listening to talk, I'm usually listening to Shade45, Octane or Lithium.

By the way the amount of people that listen to O&J is pretty impressive from what I've heard from various folks. We could argue it's the dismal other talk programming on the service, but we've got what we've got. I miss Ferrall over on the Howard side of things, but they've pretty much killed all of the non-Howard content over on 101. Mad Dog Radio comparatively is a turd.

Wasn't this an Onxy plus discussion anyway? I decided not to get an onxy plus. With what Artie said on his podcast today I think Opie & Jim will be the raciest show on satellite after howard leaves. I don't see the show returning with what I heard over the last week.

This is all programming on the service that is accessible from the Onyx Plus :). I think Howard will probably end up working out some sort of arrangement with SiriusXM, I just am not sure it's what people will be terribly thrilled with. It could end up being constant replays of old content with an occasional live show, it could be an even more abridged schedule. We'll hear in a short number of months.

I do think Howard leaving would free up some funds and would not 'destroy the service' as Howard fans seem to suggest. For one, a lot of Howard fans seem to pirate the show (and their justification is often that it sucks/isn't worth the money, though they keep listening). The other side of it is, that I talk to a staggering amount of subscribers that largely listen to other programming.

With the Onyx Plus (see, topical), there's some solid Jukebox channels in the 300s that are free for anyone with the base plan or above. Those are only available for next generation SiriusXM radios. I listen to them sometimes too, like Rockbar.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I like the extra channels but my friend is looking for a radio he can record on. The inno is the way to go I think. As for talk, for me, I learn a lot more with POTUS on than Opie or anything sports related. It is not a channel I can listen to for an entire day though. We agree on Shady 4-5. With this whole controversy with Artie lashing out I have reached a tipping point. I've been ready for the stern show to end or die like Howard mentioned yesterday "I can't even kill this thing" for over a year now. I have to see how it ends then I'm done. Like a crummy old soap or lame NFL game. I'm hooked on the smack but need a break to let my mind regroup.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I like the extra channels but my friend is looking for a radio he can record on. The inno is the way to go I think.

There's always the XMP3 as well, though that too, is discontinued. I have one and still use it sometimes. That was the end of the line for XM2GO. Unfortunately, SiriusXM probably received a lot of people calling with expectations it worked like a transistor radio (in a bunker, under a bed in a house, etc.). Explaining that the thing is getting a signal from 23,000 miles away is a bit over their head. The fact it works at all is a modern marvel.

I do think they should have a handheld offering, and also something like the Lynx, but preferably something that works. I was really hoping the Onyx Plus (which is still the best unit to date on either service) would have a WiFi component, much like the Lynx did. Even if they came up with a 'portable kit', basically some sort of bag with antenna and a small battery, it'd at least be something.

We (as in TSS) have had some interesting product ideas, but the cost of tooling/design/etc. is prohibitive. You usually have to make 15-20,000 of something, go through months of design discussion with China... We have some parts made for us that way, but usually it's a skew of an existing product or, more likely, a discontinued one.

Reactions: HecticArt

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I like the xmp3 but there are so few available. I can get Inno home docks fairly easily still and there are a few here in town for sale. The portable units work great in a big city, as in walking around town getting live content but outside that it's merely a small mp3 device. It would be nice to have a new model with wi-fi components because the internet feed is what they will rely on in the future.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
The satellites are cheaper to operate than operating over the Internet for the customer as well as for SiriusXM. I don't suspect they'll kill off the satellite service, I think both are pretty much complementary to each other.

I do agree that having both allows for a well rounded service though.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's a delivery model that's hard to compete with.
If they could keep a solid, workhorse of a sat/internet receiver in their equipment lineup, it would be helpful.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
After all this talk of radios my Inno screen is going dark finally. It's been dying for more than a year. I have a backup but am seriously considering the money I have invested in three of them, 3 home docks, a car dock and a boombox. I can't get anything currently that really does what this old ass tech can do. I'm not using the app only, and I like to record.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
If we had an Inno parts unit here I could probably swap the screen out for you, but I don't think we do. Will ask if Chicago might.

I use the App a lot, but I download a show with On Demand. Unfortunately that doesn't work for non-talk so much.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Hey thanks. My backup is charged and ready for action. I did check out the Onyx plus, and with a couple home docks and a boombox I'd be back in action. I'd go for it if that App worked better or if I could get more of the on demand DJ shows that I normally record.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Yeah the DJ shows generally aren't in On-Demand from what I've found, not sure if it's due to licensing or what the deal is. The app seems to work fine for me on my iPad, but I've never used it on anything else. I use Radium for Mac to listen on the computer.

I am quite glad that it appears the automatic 'stop' every hour 30 has been killed out of the app. That was one of my biggest issues.

I question whether some of the people who have app problems are the result of either old devices or based on location. SiriusXM uses a CDN to distribute their programming, so it could be that some markets/configurations are worse off than others.

My iPad is a '4' model, the model before the Air line came out. It isn't exactly new but still runs well.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
It works okay on my desktop, running wireless. The channels take long to change though. My fiance admitted to turning it on during train rides to work but that it just drops out too much for her to really take seriously. I don't like computers. That's my hangup.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
We need a new technology. Everyone is on periscope from their phones becoming broadcasters. Speaking of those I caught a replay of opie today and they were playing Obama's comments from yesterday about the shootings. They felt like he did and I do about gun violence. They even had to defend the president with some anti president callers. I was impressed.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
LTE Broadcast will be used for some future TV to the device products. If SiriusXM feels that this is useful, they could provide their channels through such a method. Basically, you end up with each tower providing all the channels, and the individual phone just 'tunes' to what it wants to see. Sirius used to offer a select spread of channels (not via a broadcast method) on Sprint, but that has come and gone.

I don't view the Periscope issue as similar though. Those uplinks are momentary and most people are around a given area served by a few cell towers, not driving tens of miles in a given direction on the same uplink. The issue is moving (handoffs, etc.) more than anything, at least that was the case when I was working on that sort of infrastructure.

I haven't heard today's show yet, but Jim is often the voice of reason when it comes to politics. I find him more interesting on those topics than Opie.