Online radio stations strike big deal on royalties

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
This is as good a place as any!

I seen that Tim from Pandora was all excited about this. I wonder if this means anything for Slacker too, though I think Slacker had done their own separate deal already.

Seems Pandora feels this deal will allow them to stay in business now!

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Personally, I still think it's a lousy deal. It's just not as lousy as it could have been.

At least there is some guidance that takes the uncertainty out of operating a web-based music service.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Personally, I still think it's a lousy deal. It's just not as lousy as it could have been.

At least there is some guidance that takes the uncertainty out of operating a web-based music service.

The record companies aren't exactly thrilled with it either, but it's the best deal possible for all sides until the record companies cease to exist (which could be soon).

Anything that keeps services like Pandora and Slacker in business (although, like was mentioned earlier, they've had a deal in place for a while) is a good thing.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
This is as good a place as any!

I seen that Tim from Pandora was all excited about this. I wonder if this means anything for Slacker too, though I think Slacker had done their own separate deal already.

Seems Pandora feels this deal will allow them to stay in business now!

Slacker did their own deal so this does not affect them. Same with Sirius XM and I think a couple of other providers. Anybody on their own without separate deals, this would cover them.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I think the deal would have only appled to the streaming side of Sirius/XM since the satellite deal is a totally different animal.