One thing I've definitely learned from the old shows

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Is that Robin had a deep voice. Holy fuck, I used to pray for a voice that deep as a child.

She could put any man to shame with that manly voice.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
Both Robin's and Howard's voices sound SO different now - it can't just be the aging process - safe to say it is all because of "proper modulation" and "compression" (whatever those are)? It always surprises me when I hear old Howard shows, it doesn't even sound like the same guy.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Robin sounds like she had fat in her throat. It just sounds odd. Howard sounds different now. Probably had less compression back then.

Now his compression is so much that you can hear ever single lip smack he makes.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
didn't robin and howard smoke back in those old days?

also, howard sounds different cuz he has more compression on his mic. thats what makes his voice unaturally deep on the radio these days.

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
It sounded to me like "The Tapes Team" simply failed to properly synch the original cassette tapes at the proper speed when they digitalized them. Cassettes are notorious for playing at slightly different speeds when played on a different machine, and pitch correction is not automatic even if you use the electric eye (a green type of tube)....

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
It sounded to me like "The Tapes Team" simply failed to properly synch the original cassette tapes at the proper speed when they digitalized them. Cassettes are notorious for playing at slightly different speeds when played on a different machine, and pitch correction is not automatic even if you use the electric eye (a green type of tube)....

It also sounded that way when they did "Best of" on FM radio, IIRC.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Robin's voice was deep back then.

I've watched old E! shows where she sounds super deep also. Unless E! fucked up her voice also.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008

I think they used reel-to-reel. Over time, tapes can deteriorate and some tapes are made better than others. Add in that they may not have kept them in a proper environment - we all know how cheap KRock was. If memory serves, Howard went nuts when he learned that WXRK wasn't taking care of the tapes.

There was a big discussion about them needing to buy a new "oven" to bake the tapes.

Tape baking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I don't know what they mean by "early tapes" but some of the early tapes were actually taped from a radio tuned to whatever frequency (WWWW, WWDC, WXRK.)

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

I remember them talking about setting a radio to Howard's radio station, putting a cassette tape in, and pressing the "record" button before they had the ability to record everything pre-delay button.

This is what I mean by "early tapes."