Oldest Satellite Radio Ever?

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Cartmanssatelite_dish.gif

Reactions: semipenguin

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
For Sirius I would have to guess the PNP1. It looks like it was built in someones garage for christ sakes

oiunp4.jpg

For XM I would have to guess the Sony PNP

kb2mg6.gif

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
For XM I would have to guess the Sony PNP

kb2mg6.gif
I have one of those sitting in my "Box 'o Cords & Shit" in the basement...my first satellite radio, and I got it for a steal: $99 through the "XM Friends & Family" program.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Love that big dock/sleeve dealie. What a monster!! I've seen that one around the internets before, but never in person. Also, the Jensen, seen one of those with the big wires coming off of it running to the display. What a joke those things look like now.

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
For Sirius I would have to guess the PNP1. It looks like it was built in someones garage for christ sakes

The PNP1 was a 2003 model. The Jensen/Audiovox SSR2000 was available for Sirius from the start, in 2002. It's the one with the CB-like control/display module.

Audiovox Sirius SSR-2000 100-Channels Base CB Radio - Product details and features - DealTime

All the other original Sirius models as I recall were pure tuners with no display or controls. They required a same-brand "Sirius-ready" head unit. You know customers were breaking down the doors for those.

tbone

Oct 23, 2008
I have one of those sitting in my "Box 'o Cords & Shit" in the basement...my first satellite radio, and I got it for a steal: $99 through the "XM Friends & Family" program.

You did get if for a steal, I paid Circuit City $300 for that radio in 2002. That antenna was way too big, but had a very strong magnet. Also the wire was very thick so there was no sticking it in the molding like what is done today. I remember thinking wow 100 channels I will never hear all there is to hear. I wish mine still worked for sentimental reasons. I will buy yours for a good price, if it works.

almaniac27

Nov 12, 2008
Kent, Ohio
I just saw one of those Sony XM radios on Craigslist! I don't want it, but if anyone else here is in Cincinnati, that's where it is.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
The PNP1 was a 2003 model. The Jensen/Audiovox SSR2000 was available for Sirius from the start, in 2002. It's the one with the CB-like control/display module.

Audiovox Sirius SSR-2000 100-Channels Base CB Radio - Product details and features - DealTime

All the other original Sirius models as I recall were pure tuners with no display or controls. They required a same-brand "Sirius-ready" head unit. You know customers were breaking down the doors for those.

24671548.JPG

That was my first radio.