Official Sirius|XM iPhone Application - News, Rumors, Specifications, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superman07

Oct 27, 2008
Life blogging from the earnings call Orbitcast reports that. At least now it's "official". :)

-- Sirius XM is working on an application to stream the internet content to the iPhone and iTouch
-- Allows the estimated 7 million iPhone users to access SXM on the iPhone
-- They plan to launch the iPhone app in Q2

Sounds like we should have it out by the end of June too! :clap:

Live Blogging the FY08 Sirius XM Earnings Call - Orbitcast

Superman07

Oct 27, 2008
Agree, but I'd rather have it late than never. I hope they come up with a stream only plan to compliment this. Perhaps $7.99 a month?

Hatuxka

Dec 1, 2008
If it's not uSirius that Sirius/XM comes out with, and if Apple ultimately rejects uSirius, then the developers should just make it an app for jailbroken iPhones and Touches, and make it one that can record the stream. I would pay about $20 for that.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I wonder if you'll be able to use it with an existing $2.99 streaming plan, or if they'll hit you up for a new sub.

I think it is safe to assume that the app will not work with the 32k streaming.

Skip

Feb 19, 2009
"This will allow existing subscribers with a paid streaming subscription to access our content."

I assume with the $2.99 streaming you are good to go.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
That's beautiful. I'm looking forward to this. I wonder if they'll nail you for a few bucks to get the app from the app store, or will it be a freebie? Free is good.

Smart strategy. Offload some of the hardware R&D costs.

Superman07

Oct 27, 2008
Some of the articles, quoting the conference call this morning, note tha the application will be free to existing subscribers.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
What about non-subscribers who might have a look at something like this (not that I would, but some might) if it were available as a stand-alone subscription ala slacker?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Um....they both already have that. $7.99 with XM, $12.99 with SIRIUS.

Do they *still* offer the $7.99/mo on XM?

My take is if you have internet streaming from Sirius XM in some form right now, you will have it with this product. But getting this product does not get you steaming which you are not otherwise entitled.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I have an odd feeling that the iPod Touch/iPhone application will require the premium streaming subscription. Just a hunch.
Posted via Mobile Device

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If the Sirius XM iPod/iPhone application is good, I may just add that $2.99 per month charge or on the XM side they will bill it quarterly like my current service bills. Then I can listen at 128kb being streamed via my iPod Touch. I might actually listen to Sirius XM more.

But I agree I think you will likely be required to pay the $2.99 per month to get this service.

Status
Not open for further replies.