Off-Season Priority: Online Streaming Of SiriusXM Channel 128

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Good article @ the Daly Planet on this subject.....

After the television disaster that was the 2009 Chase for the Championship, it's very clear that solutions for bringing fans back to the sport in 2010 have to include more options than just TV.

Click here to view a copy of the press release announcing the extension of exclusive online rights to NASCAR content. It was January of 2008 when Paul Brooks, the president of the NASCAR Media Group, chose to continue down this road.

All online NASCAR content was licensed to an outside group. That one decision has brought all kinds of interesting consequences where the sport's worldwide Internet exposure is concerned. While this rights deal also includes video distribution, our topic here today is an audio issue.

"Time to get Sirius NASCAR content online" was the title of a TDP column in early August. It was clear at that time that all three of the major NASCAR series had problems. One simple change would have meant more exposure for the sponsors, drivers and the sport in general. Unfortunately, it never happened.

Currently, SiriusXM Satellite radio has a streaming option that is easily available. For a fee, users are allowed to stream content on desktops and laptops through a simple player. Due to the online contract referenced above, NASCAR content is not allowed.

"No Sirius NASCAR channel on iPhones" was a TDP column from June of this year. A new app for iPhones that streamed SiriusXM was rolled out but received bad reviews. It was not for the technology, but for the programming that was not included. NASCAR was right at the top of the list.

SiriusXM works best when installed in vehicles. The portable receivers work only when attached to a designated satellite antenna. The signal does not penetrate buildings and has proven to be impossible to monitor live even when walking through the rooms of a normal house. Like DirecTV, the SiriusXM signal is from a satellite. This technology is not going to change.

SiriusXM was recently saved from bankruptcy by a third-party investor who arrived at the last possible moment. The hazy subscriber numbers are possibly slightly less than the 19 million quoted by Yahoo! Finance. True subscriber numbers are impossible to obtain.

The weekday NASCAR programs on SiriusXM Channel 128 are produced in a studio right up the road from the Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, NC. Most of the on-air and production staff are affiliated with NASCAR's own MRN Radio Network, which gets paid to provide the programming.

That shows just how murky and interconnected the NASCAR media world really is behind the scenes. Basically, SiriusXM Channel 128 is not streamed online because NASCAR sold its own Internet rights for profit. Now, the company that holds those rights wants money to allow that to happen.

Click here for a November blog post from Bruce Simmons that references this topic. SiriusXM veteran Dave Moody has often had to recite this answer to angry callers.

The only person who can solve this problem is the man who created it, Paul Brooks. Regardless of how a solution occurs, not having the SiriusXM NASCAR channel available online in 2010 would be a strategic loss for the entire sport at a critical time. A very critical time.

The line-up of NASCAR and media personalities who flow through SiriusXM on the weekdays is unmatched by any TV series or website. Events that happen at the racetrack are discussed by fans, reporters and the personalities who were actually involved. It's not uncommon to have a NASCAR personality hear something on SiriusXM and call-in to address it directly.

Don't try to make the argument that fans should go and buy a SiriusXM receiver. NASCAR fans are interested in only one channel. Whether Channel 128 is streamed online at NASCAR.com or the Sirius.com website makes no difference. Races may not be included and that is understood. NASCAR.com has its own agenda on race day.

Let's focus on just one thing. Getting this done. Brooks has to lead a task force that will get everyone to the table with the single agenda of sorting this out. Revenue sharing from subscription fees, NASCAR lessening rights payments or making NASCAR.com the only source for the service are three topics that have already been suggested as the pathway to a solution.

If this does not happen before the Daytona Speedweeks, the sport will have missed out on a key opportunity to extend a valuable weekday service to what appears to be a rapidly shrinking fan base.

The Daly Planet: Off-Season Priority: Online Streaming Of SiriusXM Channel 128

jC...

Oct 14, 2008
#1 priority, making the online service included with your subscription. You know, like before the monopoly, i mean merger.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Speaking of SNR...have there been any hints as to any changes for next year? I've listened to all of about 20 mins since Thanksgiving.

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here
Then you have listened to 20 minutes more than me. But going on past experiences here, I'd bet that the TMD Friday "who do you think will win as if anyone cares, and who will be the dark horse" shows will cease to exist.

MichaelC

Oct 14, 2008
What I find ironic is Turner wants Fox & ESPN to grant them rights to stream their race broadcasts on NASCAR.com.....but yet won't let Sirius stream the NASCAR channel..

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
What I find ironic is Turner wants Fox & ESPN to grant them rights to stream their race broadcasts on NASCAR.com.....but yet won't let Sirius stream the NASCAR channel..

It also makes no sense. NASCAR.com has no shows or programming anything like SNR.
It really makes me mad but theres nothing we can do about it. Its not going to change. :mad:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
It also makes no sense. NASCAR.com has no shows or programming anything like SNR.
It really makes me mad but theres nothing we can do about it. Its not going to change. :mad:

Yes, we're stuck at least through 2014. My biggest problem is that the non-race broadcasts can't be broadcast over the net on the SIRIUS/XM websites. I just feel that if I am paying for the service, it should be made available to me.

I started with XM service a long time ago because of the NASCAR channel. I was fortunate enough to have a south facing window at work that allowed me to listen to their service. Later I moved to SIRIUS. That same window only provided me coverage part of the day. Once the merger took place I went back to XM with the best of so that I could get service again. Many people out there don't have that same option.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
From what Moody has said on his show, Sirius/XM has made offers to Turner interactive and they just want more than Sirius is willing to pay. Hopefully NASCAR will barter a deal so when Turner gets to use racebuddy for ESPN/FOX broadcasts the return is the weekday programming available on sirius/xm online.

antsie

Oct 20, 2008
Can't remember
Hopefully they can change things for those who would like to listen online and give fans more options.

I have one radio and am able to listen in my vehicle, at home and at the office (I have a window right behind me, but my antenna doesn't even point anywhere near the window, it's pointed at a wall and works great lol). I did have to buy 2 extra docking stations for this set up, but yes, I would rather have had other options to listen and not spend more money.

I've had this set up since NASCAR went over to Sirius and that's the only reason I got Sirius, honestly, it's the only channel I listen to, but when the time comes and my docks or antenna's need to be replaced, I'd rather listen online then pour out more money again.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I still would like to have more than one radio without having to have multiple subscriptions. That just seems SO wrong to me.

I have ONE radio that I move from the truck to the house, but I'd have at least two other radios if it weren't for that multi-sub thingy. That's several hundred dollars Sirius would have gotten out of me, but instead they didn't get diddly.

But my radio, which works great, is pretty old since I've had it since Feb '07. I'd really like to upgrade to one that records.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I still would like to have more than one radio without having to have multiple subscriptions. That just seems SO wrong to me.

I agree but they do that with most subscription type scenario's - DirecTV, Dish, ATT, Verizon, Sprint, etc..... I'm sure there are some things out there that are not extra, but not many.

That whole cell phone thing always pi$$es me off. I am getting ready to switch providers and add a fourth line for my daughter. I'd like to have the internet on two of those phones and unlimited texting on all four. Each phone that I want to have the internet on is another $30/month. I would have a cell phone bill of $180/month. That's insane. What a racket for something that only works part time. :ignore:

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Personally for me? I would refuse to have the internet on any phone. It just not nessecary. Unlimited texting gets a workout sometimes, but I dont need the net at every turn. And depending on how old your daughter is, you may want to rethink that strategy.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I would refuse to have the internet on any phone. It just not nessecary. Unlimited texting gets a workout sometimes, but I dont need the net at every turn.

For that matter, the phone's not even a necessity. I got by for years without one and swore that I'd never get one. 4, two-year plans later, I wonder how I did without it. Once I got it, I couldn't fathom why I'd need to be able to text someone and I swore I'd never pay for that. Two years later getting unlimited texting, I use it all the time.

Back to the subject though..... If they did stream the SIRIUS/XM 128 feed online and I did have the internet on my phone, I could listen anywhere.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
There's TWO reasons I even have a cell phone. One, it's our primary phone (no land-line home phone). Two, for emergencies.

Years ago, you could trust to get road help or go to a person's house to use the phone. These days, you walk in someone's yard you might get shot.

And my phone is the most BASIC I can get....in fact it's 3 yrs old. No photos, on texting, no internet. It's a PHONE. :p