OEM vs. aux input - sound quality

hsw55

Apr 20, 2010
I have an 09 ford with an OEM install sirius system. It sounds great, Quality is amazing. I also have a sportster 5 with a lifetime subcription on it that use mostly in the boombox while I work that also sounds great. I am not sure I want to spend the xtra money on another subsciption for the truck if the sportster 5 is gonna sound just as clear as the OEM install. Has anyone used the aux input on a OEM car and how did it sound compared to the factory unit?

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
I have heard the differences and they aren't too far off from one another. An Auxiliary input is the best sound quality you can get for a plug and play radio like yours. In my experience anyone that has ever gone this route has been more than happy with the results. I think if you did a side by side comparison of the two you would notice a decibel level difference, but that can probably be adjusted with the Sportster 5's internal volume and the volume on the trucks radio. I hope this info helps. Does your truck have an aux input on it now or will you need to add one? If you need to add one, let us know because I'm sure we have the correct one for your vehicle.

hsw55

Apr 20, 2010
It has a AUX input jack in the center console, so with some creative wire running, I could actually hide the entire setup other then the dock. Thanks for the offer. I use TSS for all my needs. I needed an extra antenna and got that from you guys, and I turn all my friends to you guys for satellite radio equipment.

If the OEM install came with a pause/play feature, and a way to scan the channels without changing them I might stick with the OEM. The sportster 5 just spoiled me with all its features.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
If the OEM install came with a pause/play feature, and a way to scan the channels without changing them I might stick with the OEM.

GM has a radio that comes in some of their higher end vehicles, like Cadillac and such, that has this feature. But it can only be subscribed to XM. Now you can get the Best of Sirius package on it but that will increase the sub costs that the average Sirius subscriber is used to.

Thanks for all your support. We really appreciate our loyal customers and fans!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I agree having had both the difference isn't even distinguishable.

The real advantage of an OEM is the clean install and of course steering wheel controls. However, the PNP connected via an aux-input has advantage too because most PNP have features that are totally missing on an OEM radio.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I also like that my OEM radio shows the title/artist/channel info on the nav screen.

Yeah finally some of the newer OEM radios are actually providing decent text info for sat radio. Those old days of limiting it to just 16 characters if finally going away. We have XM to thank for that though because initially their system only supported 16 characters until they figured out how to make use of another text field on radios giving it 32 characters. That was the one and only limitation that XM had that Sirius did not. Everything else on the XM side was superior.

hsw55

Apr 20, 2010
I like the nav screen display (i don't have one though), and that is prob the only reason I would keep it over my sportster 5. But the sportster has so many things I keep leaning back to it. Besides the pause/play, I am in LOVE with the sports ticker. That thing IS better then sliced bread. And I love the sports alerts when the game is coming on and it telling what channel it is on. I am not stuck on keeping the steering wheel controls. As long as the quality of the music/ howard channels are the same as OEM I will prob just get a nice clean install done. I wasn't sure if they was extra hardware with the OEM to change the compression rates or something.

Those have put a dock n play radio in a OEM install can you use the factory satellite antenna? I have a sirius unit, and it is sirius OEM.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
At first I missed all the PNP functions, but then I realized all I really cared about was tuning and volume. I wish there were more than 10 presets, but that's really my only big complaint. The 35 character each title and artist fields are nicer than the 16 character readouts I used to have on my old Audi.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
At first I missed all the PNP functions, but then I realized all I really cared about was tuning and volume. I wish there were more than 10 presets, but that's really my only big complaint. The 35 character each title and artist fields are nicer than the 16 character readouts I used to have on my old Audi.

Ditto! I was the same way and now all those features just don't mean that much. Many though start out with OEM's and have never known all the features of a PNP, so you don't miss what you've never had. I think clean installs always win out in the long run.