Not Really Into History Specials

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
I'm sure to be in the minority, but I think these History specials are really self-indulgent and just not that entertaining. I know that the comedy was ground-breaking at the time, but its not contemporary anymore. These things just feel like dressed-up MTT (which was equally stale).

Why not let some of the other talent on the show take a crack at it during these longer vacations? If Marianne can have a show, why not let Benji take the mic? How about a RichardandSal show? I would really prefer some fresh content to re-cut MTT segments that I've already heard.

And Howard influenced "MTV Unplugged"? Its getting to be a bit much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elwood

almaniac27

Nov 12, 2008
Kent, Ohio
I agree that it's self-indulgent, but for radio geeks like myself, hearing about all the different stations and shows in New York back then is interesting. Plus I wasn't even born when most of this stuff went on, so it's nice to hear about the past of the show I enjoy today. These specials provide more insight to me than Private Parts (the book, I haven't seen the movie yet) did.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I'm sure to be in the minority, but I think these History specials are really self-indulgent and just not that entertaining. I know that the comedy was ground-breaking at the time, but its not contemporary anymore. These things just feel like dressed-up MTT (which was equally stale).

Why not let some of the other talent on the show take a crack at it during these longer vacations? If Marianne can have a show, why not let Benji take the mic? How about a RichardandSal show? I would really prefer some fresh content to re-cut MTT segments that I've already heard.

And Howard influenced "MTV Unplugged"? Its getting to be a bit much.

I think the self induldgent importance is part of the schtick.(sp?)

Also, no matter what goes not everyone is going to like it. theres people who say the show was better then and complain about the new stuff and then theres people who complain about hearing the old stuff.
Since I'm a fairly new fan I enjoy the HHS special. It gives me a chace to see how the show evolved.

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008

MAYBE Richard/Sal but Benji would be an absolute train-wreck

Elwood

Dec 3, 2008
Amen, brother.

The year and half putting this together might have been better spent creating The Bitter Half II; or maybe a sci-fi radio play starring Riley Martin; heck I'd even take a week of Jackie live in the morning!

New, original programming needed over breaks. Otherwise these channels are going to die at the end of Howard's contract.

Reactions: jamesp717

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
or maybe a sci-fi radio play starring Riley Martin

Now THAT would have been funny. Get the whole wack pack to play parts. Let RichardandSal write it. What potential.

I just don't see how "dozens" of people and a year of work was needed to put this special together. Its MTT with interview bumpers. I'm just getting really tired of hearing the same stuff over and over and over again. I know that Howard can't produce 24 hours of comedy every day, and I'm not asking him to. I'd just like a little more effort made to produce alternative, fresh content. There's a lot of talent in the Stern universe; I think Howard needs to check his ego and let some other people shine every once and a while.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I dunno - I'm enjoying it so far since they are still playing a lot of things from before I started listening. I also find it cool to see how some of the various relationships with guests/friends of the show began. I imagine as they get closer to today, I may not be as interested. But I'll give it a chance before making that decision.

That being said, even with the running of this special, they certainly could have filled a few hours - even if it was just the 6-9 AM slot on 101 - with something new.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008

They already gave Benjy an opportunity behind the mic for three hours of time. The date was the first Monday after Howard's "The last of a dying breed" speech. It was December 19, 2005.

MarksFriggin.com - Stern Show News - Archive

The show was a train wreck, though I kind of liked it. I have written to the show a few times and requested that they play it again, but you know...I'm almost always in the minority on programming ideas or requests.

I like the History specials, but I hate the idea that this special took away MTT for over six months. Again, I'm in the minority, I like MTT, even though it is heavily edited.

Unless satellite can turn itself around and become profitable, there really won't be much in the way of talent when Howard isn't in the studio trying to get home. It's probably cheaper to hire eleven guys to edit out Alison of old tapes than it is to pay someone to come in and crack wise for a few hours each day.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
I'm enjoying the special. It's mostly new programming, not counting the clips and it tells a story. Beats re-runs like most other entertainment shows run when they are off for vacation. When's the new episode of Lost coming?

This seems like it would be a good time for people to discover all the great entertainment out there that does live up to their high standards... :ignore:

rickster53

Oct 16, 2008
Syracuse,NY
I like the special so far but also don't see why everyone on their staff had to be dedicated to this. There must have been a way to free up at least one person to work on a few MTT's or Mammary Lanes while the special was being put together.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I'm really digging the special! It's very cool to hear the actual tapes from key moments in the past, without having to sit through an entire MTT. I hear ya about wanting to hear other live shows if you are not into the History specials, but that is what other channels are for. When I'm on H100 I want to hear Howard, not some guest host.

I was cracking up in the car this morning when I was listening to the part after he got fired from WNBC and they gave a show to Fred, Gary, and Al Rosenberg to fill the gap that Howard left. That rap song was douche-chill bad!

TheScionicMan

Oct 11, 2008
I'm still very sad about his grandparents being killed in that car accident. What a shock! I hope his listeners at the time gave him enough ratings to take his mind off of the tragedy...:shifty:

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
Funny, entertaining, nostalgic...what else do you want? More Ethel calls from Sal and Richard? C'mon! This is a great special.
Stop%20Whining.jpeg

Reactions: Forevernever

TheScionicMan

Oct 11, 2008
Is it too much to expect that the show that some peeps can barely stand should get better when they go on vacation?

1 hour shows get dissed weekly, now we should expand them to 4+ hours?? Sign me up...

Reactions: Jgatie

Elwood

Dec 3, 2008
Is this what Howard meant when he did the "board wars" bit a while ago?

Is it possible to have a board where individuals can gripe or applaud without being flamed - or am I not understanding the whole internet thing?

IMO, this thread is for those people who think repeats suck. If you like repeats, GTFO, and in return I promise not to shit on your howard can do no wrong threads, K?

Thank you. (It's also possible non-live howard makes everyone cranky)