Norway To Cease Fm Broadcasts

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's a matter of time. If they forced TV to digital, FM will be around the corner.
There's more money in TV, and (I'm assuming) more bandwidth they could capture, but they will get to FM at some point not too far away.

IndustrialH

"Not dead... just resting"
Slightly off topic - daughter three is heading back to Oz - and was only to be armed with her smartphone - this I could not allow .."don't assume you will have wifi" - so I dug out the old warhorse - same as this unit - good sound, great reception, long battery life and good size. Of course, twenty years back it would have been the short-wave one - but not today (AM and FM still live and breath in Oz). It's a pity I broke the belt clip.

srf-39_3.jpg

IndustrialH

Meanwhile... in Prague......

Czech Radiokomunikace to Test 20 KW DAB+ Multiplex in Prague

"It’s anticipated that DAB+ technology will lead to a reduction in operational costs for broadcasters there, along with a more efficient use of radio spectrum. The DAB+ multiplex technology allows for more ‘stations’ to be broadcast."

Prague-X2.jpg

Reactions: HecticArt

IndustrialH

Meanwhile in Hanover.....
Broadcasters press for in-car digital reception

"Radio industry officials don’t believe the various standards need to compete with each other. Jacqueline Bierhorst, who heads a 3 million-euro drive to promote digital radio in the Netherlands, said the standard is a means to “future proof” reception. “You can choose what suits you,” she said. And Digital Radio UK’s Harrison added: “We believe vehicle manufacturers should be building in FM, DAB and DAB+ as standard.” Many of the industry executives present in Brussels also said internet radio should be part of the package."

Reactions: semipenguin

IndustrialH

.... uncertainty still in the lands of dykes.

Director of Netherlands’ Broadcast Partners on DAB+: “It’s Still Too Early”

While the DAB platform has had success,” van der Hoeven warned, “I do not dare say that DAB+ is the successor to FM. It’s still too early.” He’s also not convinced mobile platforms threaten DAB. “As long as data capacity is scarce I don’t expect radio via mobile internet will be a success.”

full28279567.jpg

Reactions: semipenguin