Non-standard antennas?

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Install Bay' started by HCLogo, Jan 19, 2009.

1. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

Anyone know if there are aftermarket non-standard antennas available?

To clarify, I'm looking for something that I can mount on the exterior of my car without having that ugly black dot on my bright yellow paint. Right now I have my antenna mounted on the dashboard, but reception can be questionable depending on which direction the vehicle is facing.

2. MM

MM Administrator

What kind of vehicle do you have?

You could check the manufacturer and see what they have.

Or you could paint one yellow, with a little help from Taylor.

3. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

I think it's a 1999 Ford Mustang Convertible...:shock:

:)

4. snakester

snakester Member

As a last resort you could paint your current antenna and maybe the first foot of the wire yellow. Non metallic spray paint shouldn't block the signal.

5. xan_user

xan_user Banned

Just paint the car black to match the micro dot.

"I see a red door and I want it painted black
    No colors anymore I want them to turn black
    I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
    I have to turn my head until my darkness goes
    I see a line of cars and theyre all painted black
    With flowers and my love both never to come back
    I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
    Like a new born baby it just happens evry day
    I look inside myself and see my heart is black
    I see my red door and it has been painted black
    Maybe then Ill fade away and not have to face the facts
    Its not easy facin up when your whole world is black"

How about putting it on your passenger visor facing up? If its a soft top the signal should be fine both with top up or down, just dont let the passenger use the visor?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  6. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Wow, you know I forgot that Taylor started out with Painted Antenna as a business. Wow how far he has come!

7. MM

MM Administrator

I know, it's crazy!

8. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

Wow! How did you know?! :p

Wouldn't it be tough to get a good color match?

9. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

I know all, but display very little...:)

:right:

Have you tried your Ford Dealer for some touch up paint?...:scratch:

Just a thought...:)

10. jwt873

jwt873 Member

You could always try mount the antenna on the dash or on the shelf under the back window. Then it won't show at all outside the vehicle. I've even seen reports of the antenna working well mounted under the plastic dashboard.

For some reason dash mounted antennas don't work well for everyone. Some people get lots of dropouts with the antenna on the dash... Yet, there are a lot of folks doing this with great success. (I have no idea why it doesn't work for everyone).

FWIW, I have two cars and a pickup truck.. All of them have dash mounted antennas.

11. snakester

snakester Member

True, but the way I see it if you can't find anything else at least it will look better than being black. Your dealer or a paint shop could probably help you do the color match.

12. RossK

RossK New Member

Can you get a can of touch up paint from the dealer or the local auto supply shop? Just rough up the surface a bit with some Scotch Brite and hit it with a couple of coats of paint. It should work fine with a little paint on it.

13. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

I'll look into it in the spring for sure, thanks for the advice.
    So it seems there are no aftermarket antennas out there?

14. xan_user

xan_user Banned

What is it you envision exactly?
    Factory matched painted antennas for every car color?

I think my xm mag mount is less than 2" square.
    How small are you hoping to go?

What car is it? Maybe you could hide it in the third brake light housing or inside a plastic spoiler if it has one...

15. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

I was thinking of some non-standard shapes that might make clean installs a little easier.

My car is a Yellow 99 Mustang Convertible. Great suggestions about the brake lights and spoiler but I don't think that will work in my case as I don't think there's enough room.

16. xan_user

xan_user Banned

17. RossK

RossK New Member

Most of the magnetic antennas on the market are either made by SIRIUS or come from the same factorys. There are not really any aftermarket antennas out there that stray from the regular SIRIUS formula. The only non traditional shapes you will find are going to be designed for tractor trailers, and they are not going to be slick!
    You could try to get your hands on an OEM satellite antenna that came on a vehicle that was SIRIUS equipped from the factory. I know there was a pretty slick looking antenna for Chrysler vehicles a few years back that was made to be painted. You will probably have to source one of these from a salvage yard, and you may have to have a custom cable made for it to install it. Also, these will require you to drill a few holes in your car body. In the end, painting a Dot Micro is going to be the easier and cheaper option.

HCLogo likes this.
  18. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

Hmm good to know. Thanks :)

19. no1hedberg

no1hedberg Member

You can take off the plastic cowl at the base of your windshield, and place it under there. I would go as far forward as possible, and make sure it is out of the way of any moving parts. ie. windshield wipers, and hood hinges. There is also someone that was on SBS that drove a firebird who mounted his antenna under the hood. The Firebird had a fiberglass hood, so it worked good. I think the Mustang has a steel hood though, which wouldn't work.

You can purchased spray cans of color match match paint for most late model cars at auto parts stores. I did this for my Taurus SHO. They make a can of primer that helps paint bond to plastic and flexible materials, color paint, and clear coat. I painted the antenna and the rubber tail to match my car. It looks pretty good I think. Just take your time, and lightly wet sand between coats. Prime first, then put about 3 or 4 coats of color, and a couple coats of clear. Let it dry completely, and don't go through an automatic car wash for a long time, maybe months.

I'd also consider using an XM antenna instead of a Sirius one if your gonna go through all that trouble. They seem to be much more reliable. It sucks replacing an antenna. It sucks way worse replacing an antenna you put all that work into. Good luck. If you need any more help LMK.

HCLogo likes this.
  20. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

Great suggestion! Any idea how the reception was for whoever did that already?