No sound through AUX with FM transmitter OFF

myridechanelle

Feb 13, 2009
Hey, I just bought my sirius sportser 5 through amazon and there a couple of problems I am having. Hopefully some of you may help me. First some information:
I have a sportster 5 hardwired into a Alpine CDA-9851. Power & ground is ran off of a converted 12v->5v cigarette lighter which is t-tapped into the wiring harness. Aux is connected to the back of the head unit.

So, when I turn onto the aux source on my head unit, there is no sound (This is with the FM transmitter setting OFF).

If I turn the FM transmitter ON, I need to go to the "tuner" source and adjust the radio channels accordingly to hear the music. This way, I get a slight noise in the background but it still plays music. I'm sure the sound is not supposed to be there.

Question is, How do I get my head unit to play the music when on AUX mode?

There were a couple of possibilities that I was thinking of which included:
1. Aux cable is connected backwards? each side is specific according to line in and line out.
2. Need an adapter specific to my alpine head unit. Something like... PAC iPod® Adapter for Alpine Connects your iPod to your Alpine Ai-Net stereo at Crutchfield.com
3.Noise interference which can be fixed with this? (although it does not fix the no sound on AUX mode problem) PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter Helps eliminate ground loop noise from your portable music player! (3.5mm plugs) at Crutchfield.com

Let me know any suggestions you may have and Thanks in advance.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
Not sure how you have your radio "hardwired" to the head unit. I believe you need an AI-net to RCA connector for the the back of your head unit like this one. Aux Input Adapter for Alpine (AI-Net) ALP/AI-RCA You would then need to connect the line out on your Sportster 5 dock to the RCA to AI-net connector. If you already have that, you need to go into the settings on your head unit, and turn on the Aux input, to make it work. It's very unlikely, but your radio also has an audio level adjustment in the menu, that could be turned all the way down. You won't know for sure if you need a ground loop isolator until you get the radio working through the aux in. If after you get it working you have a humming or buzzing noise when your engine is running, that typically gets louder as you rev the engine, then you need a ground loop isolator to make that noise go away.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, this radio is "sat ready" meaning you can buy a sat radio brain that is controled through the head unit.

If it has AUX IN then you can run it that way but you can't control it through the alpine. It'll be like having an Ipod connected to it so use the AUX feature instead of SAT.

myridechanelle

Feb 13, 2009
no1hedberg - first of all, thanks for the fast reply. So I will NEED to get the "Aux Input Adapter for Alpine (AI-Net) ALP/AI-RCA to make it work? Right now the sportster 5 is connected to the deck with an aux cable. I'm not trying to control the sportster 5 on the head unit rather just have audio go through.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
Ok - I'm not really familiar with your particular head unit. I looked it up online to see what you were working with. I'm not sure what you mean by an "aux"cable. From what I saw, I don't think your radio actually has an aux input without buying the AI-net adapter cable I linked in my previous post. I bet what you have on the back of your radio are low/line level outputs for an amplifier. If you have a 3.5mm (headphone size) to RCA cable connected from the back of your head unit to the line out on your sportster dock, and you don't have the connector I linked earlier, then thats the problem. I think you have 2 outputs connected together.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
Those are not inputs. Those are line level outputs of external amplifiers. Those are the cables you need linked in your post. It's nice to try to support TSSradio because they support this forum.

myridechanelle

Feb 13, 2009
Okay, I will have to check them out. I was just using those links for reference. Thanks a lot for the help. Hopefully these wires will finally get me super clear quality. Thanks :wave: