No New Members at SBS

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
I was over at SBS looking at the membership list and noticed that they stopped accepting new members. The last member joined 10/6/2008.

Is that something that was done in conjunction with the startup of this forum?

I know if you try to register over they they say they are not taking any new members. I'm wondering if that message could be modified and point them this way...

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
New membership was turned off, and I'm not sure the site owner even has noticed :(

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Is there somewhere to go to get the full story on what happened with SBS?

I know the site slowed down was sold, etc but is there some sort of Super Secret backstory?

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
There is a thread around here that describes it from many different points of views (from different people who worked on/for SBS).

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Well, it's kind of obvious.

You guys, and I mean those that respect both communities, both here and there.

THANK YOU.

You've done an A+ job!

I know it must have been a very difficult decision for you guys. You've done well.

Thank you again.

:bigthumbup:

Oren

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It really was a hard decision and honestly if the owner had responded to our pleas, then DRC would have never been started. But now that it has it is the new place to be. I really love the bigger outreach into all digital music electronics, included phones and internet radio. There are already some really great conversations going on.

But you know a forum is only as good as its members, so its more about YOU ALL than us.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I was just over there to clean out my PM box and the place is pretty much dead, which is sad. That shows how much SBS was carried by all the regular members (and mods!) who are now here.

On a side note, did any one confirm that nothing bad happened to RyanM?

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
I was just over there to clean out my PM box and the place is pretty much dead, which is sad. That shows how much SBS was carried by all the regular members (and mods!) who are now here.

On a side note, did any one confirm that nothing bad happened to RyanM?

He's quite active on facebook, I think he is ok.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
It really was a hard decision and honestly if the owner had responded to our pleas, then DRC would have never been started. But now that it has it is the new place to be. I really love the bigger outreach into all digital music electronics, included phones and internet radio. There are already some really great conversations going on.

But you know a forum is only as good as its members, so its more about YOU ALL than us.

DAB, I know. And there's plenty of US/the community that appreciate what you guys did. You've respected the community that was established over there, and you took steps to preserve it.

I hope you guys realize that many understand that. You've truly done a great, great job.

Oren

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I never would have guessed that it would take less than two weeks to evacuate the vast majority of active posting members at one forum, and happily recreate that same great atmosphere at a new place. Great job by all! :clap:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I appreciate all your kind comments. Yes, I felt very strongly about saving this community. I mean almost 7 years of us all begin together, some starting out when sat radio was first introduced and many joining as time went on. But a great many friends over those years. It was killing me to see it dying like that. I am just glad we are all united here and the orignal SBS spirit lives on.

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
I was just over there to clean out my PM box

I just wonder how long the site will stay up? I like to reference some of my PM's for names of people who are inteterested in various things I did. I guess eventually Ryan or whoever is paying the bill for the site will elect not to pay the bill and the site will just be taken offline.

roscoryan

DRC Graphics Guru
Oct 13, 2008
Burnsville, MN
DAB, I know. And there's plenty of US/the community that appreciate what you guys did. You've respected the community that was established over there, and you took steps to preserve it.

I hope you guys realize that many understand that. You've truly done a great, great job.

Oren

Oren, we really appreciate those kind words. Many of us spent a lot of time and effort to build that site, and it broke our hearts to see an owner who just decided to abandon it like that.

Like DAB said though, the spirit of SBS lives here, and add it the new digital radio technologies and a fresh start for many, and this IS the place to be.

Thanks again!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I just wonder how long the site will stay up? I like to reference some of my PM's for names of people who are inteterested in various things I did. I guess eventually Ryan or whoever is paying the bill for the site will elect not to pay the bill and the site will just be taken offline.

I suspect it will linger for awhile, but eventually the plug will get pulled, no way it will continue without funding. It is likely once the current payment runs out it will be gone. But no one knows for sure. It really doesn't matter at this point.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I suspect it will linger for awhile, but eventually the plug will get pulled, no way it will continue without funding. It is likely once the current payment runs out it will be gone. But no one knows for sure. It really doesn't matter at this point.

I notice 1/2 the ads are just white space now.

I am surprised at how many people are actually still posting and asking questions there despite the announcement and posts pointing them here. Old habits are hard to break I guess (they must be I went there today too).