No more Artist Only Channels Campaign

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
Get rid of them and fill that void with something else, or hell, nothing at all and put that bandwidth back to the normal channels.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Never going to happen. They are money makers. The artist's record company and/or tour promoters buy those stations as advertising. Period. End of story.

Reactions: styckx

DLariv308

Oct 27, 2008
MA
I was never a fan of the single artist channels. Like v1ru5 said a dedicated single artist channel for rotation of about 2 weeks each, that should be enough to cover all recordings and live shows and interviews etc. As for Sirius getting paid for these channels. Does anybody have a rough figure on how much they get? Do you think in long term a single artist rotation channel would benifit revenue wise in long term rather then short term revenue it has now?

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
I was never a fan of the single artist channels. Like v1ru5 said a dedicated single artist channel for rotation of about 2 weeks each, that should be enough to cover all recordings and live shows and interviews etc. As for Sirius getting paid for these channels. Does anybody have a rough figure on how much they get? Do you think in long term a single artist rotation channel would benifit revenue wise in long term rather then short term revenue it has now?

I have no idea what they make or what the benefit is. I do know they are increasing in number, that's all you have to know to answer any question you have as to their viability in the market. I don't like them either, especially when my favorite - The Bridge - is the red-headed stepchild in the Sirius lineup, but what can you do.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
30 Days of Coldplay was great for about the first 20 days, then is started getting tiresome, which was great, since it only lasted for 30 DAYS!

PACanesFan

Oct 13, 2008
I have no idea what they make or what the benefit is. I do know they are increasing in number, that's all you have to know to answer any question you have as to their viability in the market. I don't like them either, especially when my favorite - The Bridge - is the red-headed stepchild in the Sirius lineup, but what can you do.

Simple formula. Singer A gives Sirius X amount of cash. Y is the amount of cash lost by subs cancelling over channel loss. If X>Y, single artist wins. Sadly, in reality, Y is probably a very small number.

Mrwirez

Nov 10, 2008
Pittsburgh
30 Days of Coldplay was great for about the first 20 days, then is started getting tiresome, which was great, since it only lasted for 30 DAYS!

One hour of Coldplay is plenty.... Since the change I dropped down to TWO radios from four. I kept my built-in Ford car radio and my Stiletto 2. I might just keep my Stiletto and use it for everything....They have AC-DC 24/7 on BuzzSaw (my favorite channel) which is now Boneyard.... WTF Mel?? There is now about five single artist channels. The anti-merger people were right. It is a Monopoly and it B L O W S !! Bet on a continued whittling down of programming. Btw, the satellite radio cartel has the stock at 27 freaking cents... WOW what a drag.

:(

Nov 9, 2008
nj
Single artist channels BE GONE!

I cant stand the friggin single artist channels,we could have lost channels put back on where they are! Bring back the ENTIRE sirius lineup!XM SUCKS!

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
Two points to people with problems with Artist Only channels:

1. Sirirus, XM, and now SiriusXM gets paid for these channels. The record company pays them for a certain amount of time, ever notice how they're always around when the artist is going on tour or releasing an album?

2. According to Sirius, these channels are very popular. You wouldn't know it by forums, but a lot of people really do love these things.

You can write emails, letters, make petitions, whatever; but it will not change as long as the money keeps flowing.

Peter Atkinson

Oct 17, 2008
Lake Geneva, WI (USA)
My vote to! If 5 single artist channels can make good money, then a single (pun intended) rotating single artist channel can make even more money. I think a month would be sufficient...Like Michael Jackson, George Strait, Coldplay & Metalica.

Don't get me wrong. I like Kenny Chesney (channel now gone thank God), AC/DC, Led Zeplin, Jimmy Buffett, Bruce Springsteen, Frank Sinatra & The Grateful Dead...But for months on end? NO WAY!!!

Last summer was just perfect when XM played that new Paul McCartney album for 24 hours straight. That's long enough.

Do it for a short time & it's a novelty, perhaps something to look forward to. Doing it for months at a time could even be detrimental to album sales & possibly hurt subscriptions.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I agree, create one revolving artist channel, call it Superstar or whatever and give the others a rest!! It would almost seem that soon we will have the top 69 artists of all time with their own channels!!:eek:

Schlep

Nov 10, 2008
schlep.sexykula.com
2. According to Sirius, these channels are very popular. You wouldn't know it by forums, but a lot of people really do love these things.
I'm willing to bet the only people who love them are people brand new to satellite radio, and even they stop listening after a month or two.

Rev. Jim

I may be in the minority on the board, but I like these single-artist channels. I've listened to AC/DC Radio and E. Street Radio many times just this past week. Yes, they are very niche and you have to live through hearing the same song severals times during the day. A friend of mine is absolutely in love with the Led Zepplen channel; it's become is his main pre-set. And he's not happy that it is only on until January.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Two points to people with problems with Artist Only channels:

1. Sirirus, XM, and now SiriusXM gets paid for these channels. The record company pays them for a certain amount of time, ever notice how they're always around when the artist is going on tour or releasing an album?

You can write emails, letters, make petitions, whatever; but it will not change as long as the money keeps flowing.

QFT.

Evenmoreso with the Elvis channel. People flock to Graceland (his home) and see the Sirius advertising with the studio there. Apparently the Elvis channel is very, very popular.

And as long as the artist or the label pay Sirius for the airtime, they're going to give it to them.

Stopping these artist-only channels would be a huge disaster.

Dark Star

Nov 2, 2008
I'm willing to bet the only people who love them are people brand new to satellite radio, and even they stop listening after a month or two.

Not so. I've had satellite radio for a few years now and I love GD and E Street Radio. They're my fallback stations. I love 'em.

dbirchum

Nov 12, 2008
NL, Canada
Hated the single artist channels from day one. I vote to keep them off (or only have ONE rotating single artist channel, as mentioned above).