No audio!

mstrick96

Sep 18, 2009
Hello, everyone!
I installed my new Sirius Starmate 5 radio in my truck yesterday (Ford F-150) and cannot get any audio.

I used the FM extender antenna and mounted it with the temporary suction cups. I followed the instructions as closely as possible. The radio appears to have activated and I can see the different channels. The signal strength indicator shows a good signal from the receiving antenna.

One difficulty I have is that my car radio's display is broken so I can't see what frequency it is tuned to. What I am doing is to select a station that I recognize and know the frequency of and then I use either the "seek" feature on my car radio or I use the tuning to move toward the frequency that I have set in my Sirius. Whenever I get a station, I change Sirius channels to see if I am on the Sirius frequency.

I can't find the Sirius signal.

I tuned the Sirius frequency to 99.1 and this is the only frequency I have tried so far.

Any suggestions?

Mike

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I'd try using the receiver on a different car radio to eliminate those components as faulty.

So you're using the FM transmitter through the Starmate 5? My experience is that they are super weak, even if the extension is right next to the antenna.

You might just be better off buying the hardwiring kit from TSS and you'll have no worries.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Hyson is right. These radios have weak FM transmitters in them due to an FCC regulation. I would first try and use the tune buttons instead of seek to find an open FM station. The seek button will skip over FM stations that are open and those are the ones that you want. Depending upon what audio quality you want we could get you the right hardwired connection to get good sound. What year is your F-150?

mstrick96

Sep 18, 2009
Thanks everyone! All good suggestions!

The weak FM transmitter was the issue. I snaked the FM Extender Antenna out to the whip antenna and taped them together. Then I was able to find the signal with no problems. Sounded great! :yesshake:

With the FM antenna inside the windshield, the signal is rather weak with static. Not enjoyable to listen to at all. I have the antenna inside now and moved it around for the best reception, but still not acceptable quality. :mad:

I guess I'll need to connect directly.

My F-150 is a 1999 model. I'll probably trade it in in a year or so asnd I don't want to put a lot of money into it at this point. It is the factory radio with only a CD player, no cassette. Does anybodey know how likely this thing is to have a direct audio input? I don't think there is an Aux In button on it.

Is the FM antenna splitter going to be my best option?

Mike

bigdaddyII

Oct 13, 2008
Southern Louisiana
This would be your best option. It simply plugs in where the antenna does on your radio and your antenna plugs into the box. You still have to set the freq. on both the radio and Sirius receiver. What this contraption does is shut off your antenna so that you have no interference when your Sirius receiver is turned on. With your stock radio, you would have to use a PIE adapter which cost somewhere around $80, the FM direct could be had for $15 and is simple to install.

Reactions: hyson and Aaron

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
bigdaddyII is right on the money with this one.

That's the exact setup I have in my vehicle and it works great. The only hurdle is getting to the back of your stereo headunit. After you figure that out, it's easy peasy.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
This would be your best option. It simply plugs in where the antenna does on your radio and your antenna plugs into the box. You still have to set the freq. on both the radio and Sirius receiver. What this contraption does is shut off your antenna so that you have no interference when your Sirius receiver is turned on. With your stock radio, you would have to use a PIE adapter which cost somewhere around $80, the FM direct could be had for $15 and is simple to install.

I'm with Bigdaddy as well.

mmdareu

Sep 20, 2009
I have a sirius inv 2 that i use at work on weekends i am unable to install a fm adaptor in the company vehicle for this radio, any suggestions on what i can to to help with thjis problem. The signal sucks with the fm static i get on the radio?

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I have a sirius inv 2 that i use at work on weekends i am unable to install a fm adaptor in the company vehicle for this radio, any suggestions on what i can to to help with thjis problem. The signal sucks with the fm static i get on the radio?

My solution to this has been to use my stiletto or XMP3 with headphones while driving. Then again, I'm a moron. :scratch:

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008

Ouch, this is a tough one. :bigahh:

If you really want to stick with that headunit, and are unable to change the company vehicle, you may want to start looking at stronger FM trasmitters.

I understand people use C. Crane transmitters with good luck, but are pricey. Maybe search around for something that meets your needs and price point.

Aside from this, IMO, you don't really have a whole heck of a lot of options.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
Something like this might work for you. Click picture.