Next Replacement (stiletto 2)

Plowboy67

Feb 26, 2009
SE MN
Hey guys,
Looking for my next replacement to my Stiletto 2. Here's my history: started off with a Stiletto 100 with lifetime subscription in 2007 and within 2 years upgraded to the Stiletto 2. Within a year, had software issues and have had to do numerous device recoveries, I got another Stiletto 2 to replace it (fortunately Sirius waived using one of my lifetime subscription transfers). Up until this spring unit worked flawlessly then started having same problems as first one. Sent the units (both Stiletto 2's) to Drew at TSS to get them worked on. Got them back and still had same problems (Thanks anyway Drew!).
So I have finally decided to bite the bullet and look for a new unit. Any suggestions comparable to the old Stiletto 2.

Thanks,
Dave

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
There is nothing that is currently made that does as much as the SL2 did. Most are basic satrad units, not portable and no recording.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Like IRBS said, there aren't any new true portables being made. The Lynx was the last of them, and SXM quit making and supporting them. It sounds like it was too expensive for SXM to keep up with. You can still find them from time to time at TSS, and on eBay. I still like mine, but don't use a lot of the bells and whistles. It's a little quirky, but not too bad. I have to pull the battery a few times a week to get it to boot, but hardly any other issues.

If it craps out on me, I'll go for something simpler like a Sportster 5. The Sportsters and Starmates are very stable platforms.

Plowboy67

Feb 26, 2009
SE MN
Thanks for the replies guys ! I do realize that there is nothing out there now that does what the SL2 did. Just looking for something reliable that can hold up to the test of time and is fairly easy to retrofit the new dock into the existing audio and antenna connections. (I'll have 7 of them). I'll start looking at the Sportsters and Starmates as Hectic suggested.

Reactions: HecticArt

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Plowboy, I do a reset and erase on my SL2 about once a month. I erase the oldest recording first. Radio replays will save to random spots on the HD.

There are related threads on how to baby a Stiletto. I had one go down because the discs overheat over time (mine last 4.5 years) and Drew couldn't repair the receiver.

It's cool to know you have a PC with Windows XP to conduct periodic device recoveries. TSS has a dedicated laptop just for that service.

TSS has multiple standalone portable and plug n' play units. They are endorsed by just about everyone who posts on this site. Mention that you frequent these forums and ask about sale items and some SWAG in your shipping box and experience premium service by a 100% US company.

Reactions: HecticArt

MountainMan

May 18, 2018
Hi. I'm new here and sorry about the long post - I have lots of questions!

I realize this thread is nearly a couple of years old, but I have an SL2 with a lifetime sub that I've been using for 7 years or so. I never paid it any special care as far as managing recordings, leaving radio replay on and only deleting old recordings once in a long while. Occasionally, an individual recording would be corrupted and I could just delete it or it would freeze and require a reboot, but that was it.

Recently, however, one of my recordings became corrupted and I was unable to delete it and resetting the device through the menus wouldn't work. I had a data cable for it, so I figured I'd try the recovery, not realizing that putting the radio into recovery mode now effectively bricks your radio since the recovery desktop software tries to download the latest software build 2.0.5, which fails since the manufacturer's server is no longer available, and there's no way to take the device out of recovery mode without a reflash. I sent it over to Richard with TSS who was able to reflash it. I think he has the original firmware saved locally and changed the parameters of the recovery software to point to it locally instead of through the web.

Using the SL2 to record shows is a major feature for me, so I don't think I'm going to stop doing that. Someone mentioned that there are steps to "baby" it, which I gather means just turning off radio replay, staying on top of cleaning out your recordings and doing hard shutdowns as often as possible. Are there any other steps I should be taking for protecting it from another crash?

Some other questions I have:

1) I picked up an XMP3i as a backup. If the SL2 craps out again and I transfer my lifetime sub over to that, I think I lose a couple of channels like Howard 100, 101. Does anyone know of any others that I'd lose? According to Sirius, that's it, but I just want to make sure. Are there any other drawbacks besides only being able to timeshift for 30 min on the XMP3i vs 1 hour for the SL2? Any other benefits?

2) I keep hearing about how the Lynx is a great portable, but it sounds like it doesn't have an internal satellite antenna - that it needs to work over wifi or with an external antenna. Is that true? Do any of you worry that Sirius may cutoff Lynx Wifi streaming like they did with the SL2?

3) Does anyone have the original SL2 v2.0.5 firmware? I could probably figure out how to reconfigure the Sirius desktop recovery software to point to it instead of the dead web link as long as I had the firmware.

4) I was thinking about just using the SL2 in my new car without the car dock, just using the internal antenna with a clear view of the sky through the windshield. I have one of those magnet mounts which are supposedly safe for phones, but does anyone have any thoughts if it'd be safe for a satellite radio?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Hi Mountain,
Welcome to the forum.

Glad your SL2 is still running for you. It got to be a crap-shoot as to if or when those things would start acting up. I miss mine. I thought it was a great little radio.

2) I keep hearing about how the Lynx is a great portable, but it sounds like it doesn't have an internal satellite antenna - that it needs to work over wifi or with an external antenna. Is that true? Do any of you worry that Sirius may cutoff Lynx Wifi streaming like they did with the SL2?
True. It's much better than the SL2, but it doesn't have an antenna. (That might be part of the reason that it isn't as finicky.) Wifi, replays, and personal content are what make the "portable" OK enough to work with.

3) Does anyone have the original SL2 v2.0.5 firmware? I could probably figure out how to reconfigure the Sirius desktop recovery software to point to it instead of the dead web link as long as I had the firmware.
I think they have a computer set-up with an old windows operation system with a virtual or emulated server (or something crazy like that) that allows them to deploy the firmware.

4) I was thinking about just using the SL2 in my new car without the car dock, just using the internal antenna with a clear view of the sky through the windshield. I have one of those magnet mounts which are supposedly safe for phones, but does anyone have any thoughts if it'd be safe for a satellite radio?
Not sure about the magnetic dock.
I tended to baby my SL2 too much in the last year or so to risk anything like that. It was probablt too overprotective, but who could really guess.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: JHDK

MountainMan

May 18, 2018
Thanks for the reply. How did your SL2 meet its end? Did a reflash not work for you? The only thing I've ever done for mine is make sure I never drop it and never leave it in a hot car, and the only unrecoverable issue I ever had was one undeletable recording which necessitated the reflash.

I'm not sure if you have a lifetime sub, but that's probably why others have pulled out all the stops trying to extend its life. If not for that, I might have already transferred over to the XMP3i, which is working now on the 2 week promotional trial that Sirius is running, as my luck would have it. So, I get a pretty good comparison of the two without having to lay out any more money.

My experiment with running just off the dash mount with the XMP3i and reflashed SL2 this past weekend was OK, not great. I found a clamping dash vent mount, so I didn't have to worry about magnets mucking with the device performance. They both seem to hold a strong signal if you're in a metro area with terrestrial repeaters, but once you're out in rural areas, you'll get more signal drops than is probably tolerable for most. So, I'm probably going to figure out a way to mount the car kit in my new car. New cars seem to have zero space for mounting these things with dashboards and center consoles sloped every which way, but I'll figure it out. Of course, my car radio has Sirius built-in, but keeping it active past my trial would either dead-end my lifetime sub transfers or make me pay an additional out of pocket monthly fee - unacceptable. :D

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I think it's still running....... I don't remember exactly what pushed me to upgrade to the Lynx......
That's funny.

I regret that I never got the lifetime. I hadn't been out of school that long, and was paying off my student loans when I started with Sirius. The idea of writing a big check wasn't comfortable at the time. I knew it would pay for itself over time, but always thought that I'd get around to it. Then they got rid of them.

Day late dollar short.

Glad the experiment went OK.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Mine is still running but off in a drawer. It's inability to record any more programs due to corruption meant an end to its usefulness in comparison to an app on my iPhone. I use it to get discounted internet radio however as it has a lifetime sub.

Reactions: MountainMan

MountainMan

May 18, 2018
Mine is still running but off in a drawer. It's inability to record any more programs due to corruption meant an end to its usefulness in comparison to an app on my iPhone. I use it to get discounted internet radio however as it has a lifetime sub.
Even if you don't use either recordings or radio replays, the live stream buffer seems to give the SL2 a leg up over the smartphone app, especially if you're listening to any kind of programming with commercials. But, I guess YMMV - it does mean carrying around another device besides your phone, which isn't insignificant. If your radio is just sitting in a drawer, it may be worth the $30 to have Richard at TSS reflash it if you ever want to use it to its full potential again.

I've disabled radio replays on mine and its noticeably faster. I have a relative with a show on SXM, so I use it to record the program and then convert it to MP3 for archiving afterwards.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I still prefer the second device over using my phone so that I don't have to fart around with my music every time I need to use my phone.

MountainMan

May 18, 2018
The car dock wasn't going to fit in the new car, so I just used a magnet mount with a hacked up sat headphone connector connected to a roof mount antenna. The sat headphone connector kind of crowds out the power adapter, so I had to shave both down with a dremel to get them to fit next to each other, then krazy clued them together into a single connector. The 3.5mm headphone jack is the second plug and supersedes any audio out from the sat headphone connector, so it works perfectly and the unit is within easy reach.

It's also nice that it still runs off of battery if I run into a store or something, and then I can just back it up to where I left off. Since it thinks it's running off a portable headphone antenna, it just switches to battery power when the ignition turns off and it loses external power. satmount.jpg

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The car dock wasn't going to fit in the new car, so I just used a magnet mount with a hacked up sat headphone connector connected to a roof mount antenna. The sat headphone connector kind of crowds out the power adapter, so I had to shave both down with a dremel to get them to fit next to each other, then krazy clued them together into a single connector. The 3.5mm headphone jack is the second plug and supersedes any audio out from the sat headphone connector, so it works perfectly and the unit is within easy reach.

It's also nice that it still runs off of battery if I run into a store or something, and then I can just back it up to where I left off. Since it thinks it's running off a portable headphone antenna, it just switches to battery power when the ignition turns off and it loses external power. View attachment 4643
Very cool setup you jerry-rigged there. I used to have that same case back when I was rocking the SL2.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

It's also nice that it still runs off of battery if I run into a store or something, and then I can just back it up to where I left off. Since it thinks it's running off a portable headphone antenna, it just switches to battery power when the ignition turns off and it loses external power. View attachment 4643
I remember the days. Once I got integrated, I never want to go back to having it separate again.

MountainMan

May 18, 2018
I remember the days. Once I got integrated, I never want to go back to having it separate again.
I hear ya. I'm often driving through very rural areas, and my car roof's view of the sky is often a lot more reliable than cell signals.

Interestingly, if you're a pro cheapskate like me, I think I've figured out a bug in Sirius's streaming system. The lifetime sub comes with online streaming from a desktop browser, but it locks you out of the mobile app unless you pay additional. For me, the only price I'm willing to pay is $0/mo.

So, a family member bought a new car with a sat radio, and I offered to bring her on since she'd get a monthly multiple radio discount adding her radio onto my account, and she'd get me access to Sirius's mobile app, which she'd never use.

Long story short, she's no longer on my account - I only have the sl2/lifetime radio on there now, but my Sirius streaming app still works. And, it doesn't just work because the account is cached - I logged in from a new Android device, no problem. Maybe it's something they'll fix eventually, but it's pretty cool that it's still working for me now.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
There is a free preview on now for the app and stream. See if it still works on the 30th. :)

And I was referring to integrated satrad in the car. No cell service required.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's where I'm cheap.
One radio, one sub. I'm still fine with docks in my car, house, & office.
I spend a lot more time in the office than I do in the car.