Newest Mac Player from Starplayr - StarLight Sirius Alpha

GeeksToolBox

Oct 11, 2008
Powered by StreamSmart just like StarPlayr for Windows.

gt did an awesome job on this client. Light and fast!

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Powered by StreamSmart just like StarPlayr for Windows.

gt did an awesome job on this client. Light and fast!

Yes gt did a great job. I just downloaded this a few hours ago. I love it's simplicity.

Keep up the good work and let us know if we can do anything for you guys.

mixhail

Oct 12, 2008
Does anyone else get audio pops on their speakers a lot? Its got to be just this program because my music and video's don't make it.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
Has anyone with a satellite internet connection been able to get this or StarPlayr to work?

a "satellite internet connection"? what do you mean?

I have a normal sub (canadian) and it runs very well on my macbook pro.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
He means if you have Satellite Internet, not cable, dsl or dial up, but satellite.

I can tell you that the ping time on sat internet is terrible, not sure this makes any difference, but I've never tried it for that. I have a buddy of mine that has because he has no access other than dial up otherwise. He totally hates it because some days it does well and other days terrible.

fineware

Nov 8, 2008
Remington, VA
He means if you have Satellite Internet, not cable, dsl or dial up, but satellite.

Correct. I live in an area not served by cable, dsl, fios, or any other late-20th century invention. Oh, and the phasing on the phone lines are so bad that dialup isn't really an option, either. Makes Mayberry seem modern.

...He totally hates it because some days it does well and other days terrible.

Yeah, it's bizarre. Not to totally redirect this thread, but... Aside from the inconsistent speeds and ping times over 800 (due to the speed of light), the feed is prone to software handshaking issues (where certain byte combinations can throttle downloads) and certain ports get blocked for no reason at all.

In contrast, I've been able to use other software, such as SiriusMac, so there must be something specific to the way StarPlayr and StarLight operates.

Tgajr

Oct 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
What about the channel update?

Is there a mac version where you can get the combined programming? My windows version updated automatically.

Goodtime

Oct 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I think it's coming soon. Check nicemac.com for details.

Combined programming is not ready yet. I have pages of stuff that needs to be worked on for StarLight. Sirius + XM will be in the StarLight Extreme (aka StarLightXM) version. StarLight is trying to stay simple as much as it can and it is a challenge deciding what should be added and what really needs to be in there to make it usable for most people. We received many comments about StarPlayr2's UI being clunky and too much for the average user. With that in mind, we are making sure StarLight, stays Lite.

StarLight was actually thought about before StarPlayr, but that's a whole 'nother story all together as at that time, I wanted to create a multimedia experience that no other Sirius app did in the past. StarLight is going be to a more simple idea of creating the most user friendly app but still has the potential for lots of powerful stuff underneath.

StarLight and StarPlayr for Windows are programmed by two different developers on our team. And each program has different objectives and goals. StarLight is programmed by me, who is more of a graphic artist than a computer programmer, and StarPlayr for Windows is programmed by GeeksToolBox, who is a full time software engineer. GTB is a much better programmer than me. So you will find things that he does quicker in his app. Plus StarLight is younger, I think it is only a week old at v1.09a. You will find that each program has an entirely different style. BTW, it will be awhile before I get to even adding an auto-updater. Personally, I dispise them and secondly, I am always thinking about the next feature set for the app and auto update is something that time just as much time as the next feature, and that does not appeal much to me considering I have only a few hours per week to devote to StarLight. And third, it takes 0.30 seconds to find the latest version on Google by searching, "StarLight Mac."

Right now the XM portion is not a high priority. I have about 5-6 things at will be worked on in StarLight, one is native audio, before StarLightXM will be started.

On top of that, besides this post, we have not received any requests for XM on StarLight at NiceMac.com. If anyone wants to make a feature request, just alert me to the post and I will read it.

Thank you,

Goodtime

Last edited:

Goodtime

Oct 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
There are some more updates.

Check them out here: StarPlayr Sirius XM Radio Clients Powered by StreamSmartâ„¢

The newest version of StarLight will be out 12-12-08 (final version).

Final version will probably be January, and that will include XM support.

12-12-08 sounded great, but more than likely 1.12 is more realistic.

Preview releases for Tiger and Leopard are out now. XM will be finished after the holidays.

gt :)

hypert

Jan 11, 2009
Final version will probably be January, and that will include XM support.

12-12-08 sounded great, but more than likely 1.12 is more realistic.

Preview releases for Tiger and Leopard are out now. XM will be finished after the holidays.

gt :)

I just tried StarLightXM beta 7 for the Mac (downloaded from http://starplayr.com/Downloads/StarLightXM_Beta7_Tiger_Leo.zip). I like the small window and simple interface. But, the current station/stream doesn't stop when you switch to a new station/stream! Not only is that audibly confusing, but it makes the pause/play button kind of indeterminate. Different streams seem to be starting/stopping when you press it.

Is that expected? Is anyone else experiencing this?

hypert

Jan 11, 2009
I just tried StarLightXM beta 7 for the Mac (downloaded from http://starplayr.com/Downloads/StarLightXM_Beta7_Tiger_Leo.zip). I like the small window and simple interface. But, the current station/stream doesn't stop when you switch to a new station/stream! Not only is that audibly confusing, but it makes the pause/play button kind of indeterminate. Different streams seem to be starting/stopping when you press it.

Is that expected? Is anyone else experiencing this?

After I killed all the running mplayer processes spawned from this tool, I couldn't get this to occur again. Seems to have been a one-off problem...

Goodtime

Oct 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Try the Flip4Mac WMV preference option. But make sure you have Flip4Mac installed 1st.

You may have had two StarLightXM's running at the same time or you may have force quit StarLightXM.

Mplayer runs as a sep. process. If you use the Flip4Mac option it will run the audio from the app.

Some users have had issues with no audio from Flip4Mac, and this is an ongoing investigation.

FYI: If Mplayer becomes a rogue process. just quit StarLightXM and relaunch it. This will automatically kill Mplayer when StarLightXM launches again.

StarPlayr 3.0 is coming back to the Mac this year and it will use our uSirius StarPlayr audio engine for the iPhone. It will not have pause but it will have native audio without using any third party solutions except the open source sources and our unique audio engine developed by MillardSoftware/NiceMac LLC.

I am working on the kinks out of Beta 7 and left over bugs from Beta 6. The current version is beta 7.0.0.2. Once all the bugs are worked out an everyone confirms there are no major issues, we will release the final 1.0. Then it is off to create the UI for StarPlayr 3.0 and port over our iPhone code.

The iPhone put us a little behind on the Mac. StarLightXM is an interim product to fill the void between StarPlayr2 and StarPlayr 3.0. We fully intend to take back the crown and bring StarPlayr back to the Mac. With clients on Windows, Windows Mobile, Mac and soon XBMS and Android. There won't be too many places left for the competitors to hang their hat.

:)

Last edited:

moosala

Jan 5, 2009
Looking for .dmg for Starplayr for OSX 10.4

Please! I need the old version of Starplyr for 10.4. I love being able to record the streams for later use. Help!

Thanks!
moosala