New Zune?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Mrs Hectic is looking for an mp3 player.
Her new job doesn't allow streaming, and they get 0 radio reception so FM (blah) and Sirius are out of the question. I tried getting her into Slacker, but it didn't really take.

She was thinking ipod, but when I started showing her what was available, she wasn't stoked. She doesn't have the patience for techy gadgets, so she won't use most of the features on the ipod touch, and they don't have the memory capacity for the price. I showed her the 120 gb Zune and she really liked it. Bigger screen then the ipod classic, more memory, and a good price.

Who's got experience with the Zunes? My nephew swears by em.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
I have a 16GB flash based zune and liked it until I washed it. I also have an iPhone, and I think I prefer the zune as an mp3 player.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
The new Zune HD looks awesome. It will play video in HD and will also have a TV out with accessories that will allow you to play directly to your HDTV at home.

While it is going to be super simple to use, it might be a little more than what she needs or wants.

If she is just looking to play MUSIC and doesn't care about Video, then I would look at some of the following--also, these are cheaper than the new ZUNE.

1. Samsung P3---This is a touchscreen, 16GB for $179.99. Sound is the best I've ever heard on a player. This also has bluetooth, will handle just about any video format you throw at it and allows for flash games, widgets, etc. Again, might be more than she needs. I have this player and I LOVE IT. LCD screen is great but it isn't the AMOLED of the NEW ZUNE.
2. Sansa FUZE---Small, on the cheap, will handle video but on such a small screen I don't know why you'd bother. WIll take playlists, album art, great sound, VERY EASY TO USE. NON touchscreen. MIcro SD card expandable.
3. Creative Zen--- Non Touchscreen, great screen with good tactile functions. Will allow for use of a Micro SD card for expansion but from what I've been told, the micro sd doesn't integrate great with the player but it may not matter because you can get 16 or 32gb for pretty cheap.
4. Sony Walkman S Series--This is a brand new player that has just been given a great review by Engadget today. I recommend checking this out. It is primarily for music, will handle some video but it looks to be mainly a great music player with really good sound and easy to use features. www.engadget.com

Amazon usually has the best pricing on the players but FRYS.com has the P3.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Big fan of the creative players, I think they sound better than zune or ipods/touches.

I've never heard the ZUNE players but I do think the Ipods sound below average.

Like I said, my Samsung P3 is the best sound I've ever heard from a player.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
On September 9th Apple will be introducing the next gen iPods.

Maybe wait until then to see what they look like?

The new Zune HD does look sharp.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well sound is a subjective thing and I have a feeling the average joe couldn't tell the difference between any of these devices.

I have looked at the Zune, not for purchase consideration, because I am into the all in one setup via my iPhone. However, that big screen is nice and I liked the menu too. Very nice!

Get her what she wants, she'll be the one using it.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Well sound is a subjective thing and I have a feeling the average joe couldn't tell the difference between any of these devices.
This is no average joe we're talking about. Its Mrs. Hectic. Remember what ear phones Mr. Hectic has? Its only fair the misses gets something better than just "average".

;)

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA

I have looked at the Zune, not for purchase consideration, because I am into the all in one setup via my iPhone. However, that big screen is nice and I liked the menu too. Very nice!

My only other problem with IPOD is that I hate being locked into using Itunes to manage the player. So many other devices allow you to use anything from simply windows, WMP, MediaMonkey, etc.

I don't know, I'm just not an apple guy.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My only other problem with IPOD is that I hate being locked into using Itunes to manage the player. So many other devices allow you to use anything from simply windows, WMP, MediaMonkey, etc.

I don't know, I'm just not an apple guy.

I think way to much is made of that. iTunes works very well and does the job as it was designed to do. iTunes is one of the reasons that the iPod has been so darn successful, because unlike most players, which can use anything to manage it. None of them work very well at all and you often times find it is hit and miss rather it will work. Also having a single platform or software that allows your player to access apps, podcast, movies, music videos, music, I've not found anything else like it out there. But then I've not looked either because iTunes does the job.

Choice is a wonderful thing though isn't it? :) These other companies need your business we don't ever want Apple to be the only game in town for sure!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

So far other than a few subjective observations, I'm not hearing anything bad coming out of the crowd. At this point she's pretty sure the Zune is what she wants.

The next gen iPod will likely be more coin than she will want to drop, and the Zune HD looks like a toy I'd get more use out of.

Might be ordering one for her yet this weekend.

Thanks for all of your input gang. There's still time to change her mind.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I think way to much is made of that. iTunes works very well and does the job as it was designed to do. iTunes is one of the reasons that the iPod has been so darn successful, because unlike most players, which can use anything to manage it. None of them work very well at all and you often times find it is hit and miss rather it will work. Also having a single platform or software that allows your player to access apps, podcast, movies, music videos, music, I've not found anything else like it out there. But then I've not looked either because iTunes does the job.

Choice is a wonderful thing though isn't it? :) These other companies need your business we don't ever want Apple to be the only game in town for sure!

Look, DAB, we get it, you've drunken the Steve Jobs Kool-Aid and that is ok!!

Just like there were Elvis people and Beatles people, there are Apple people and NON apple people. I am just a NON apple guy.

Reactions: xan_user

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC
So far other than a few subjective observations, I'm not hearing anything bad coming out of the crowd. At this point she's pretty sure the Zune is what she wants.

The next gen iPod will likely be more coin than she will want to drop, and the Zune HD looks like a toy I'd get more use out of.

Might be ordering one for her yet this weekend.

Thanks for all of your input gang. There's still time to change her mind.

My first real MP3 player was a 30 gig Zune, I really liked it but thought I needed more gigs, I then got a 80 gig Ipod classic, I so much prefer the Zune and Zune software that the Ipod is setting in the glove box untouched for a long time. I just went into my mp3s and unchecked a few gigs worth so I can keep using the Zune. A great feature of Zune is the upgrade of the players along with the software. I have with my 1st gen 30gig player the most up to date interface as your new 120gig will have, and I can tell you that between my Zune, S-100, first gen Slacker, older no-name 1 gig player, and my apple Ipod Classic that My Zune is the easiest to use, easiest to update and the most bug free of all my toys.

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC

I can tell you about the single platform of Zune and iTunes because I use both. I have never bought a song on ether platform, I just use both for music management on to the players. I lately have only been adding book cds from my library (for my own use, then delete), I burned most of my music long ago. The Zune software is i would estimate 75% better at getting the book CD downloaded, labeled correctly, and correctly numbered then iTunes. I know that is just a small comparison that I have come across, but MOST apple users have only the one chose ever and do not have a way of trying out others that might be easier for them. I can tell you that downloading audiobooks on CD was a nightmare for me on iTunes but I knew that another software was easier and I had the means to use it, iPod only users do not. I'm rambling now

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
A great feature of Zune is the upgrade of the players along with the software.

That's what I love about the Zune, it's firmware upgradeable. My dad's first-gen 30 GB Zune has the same OS and features that the current Zune offers.

I can't wait for the new Zune HD (multi-touch organic LED, NVIDIA Tegra, HD video, HDMI-out, and improved Xbox 360 integration are just some of the features I'm looking forward to... :inlove:)

Zune HD will be available on September 15th :)

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Look, DAB, we get it, you've drunken the Steve Jobs Kool-Aid and that is ok!!

Just like there were Elvis people and Beatles people, there are Apple people and NON apple people. I am just a NON apple guy.

No Var, I don't think you get it, in the last part of my response to you I talked about how nice it is to have a choice. I am not trying to convert you, I don't care what product you use. Just buy something you'll be happy with.

I own some Apple products now and have added those to my signature file, along with having several discussions recently and suddenly I am a Steve Jobs Kool-Aid drinker! I've never encountered this type mentality/attitude from folks with any other products I've owned and discussed on the forum. Over the years I've owned many products and reviewed them, discussed them for weeks and months.

I can tell you about the single platform of Zune and iTunes because I use both. I have never bought a song on ether platform, I just use both for music management on to the players. I lately have only been adding book cds from my library (for my own use, then delete), I burned most of my music long ago. The Zune software is i would estimate 75% better at getting the book CD downloaded, labeled correctly, and correctly numbered then iTunes. I know that is just a small comparison that I have come across, but MOST apple users have only the one chose ever and do not have a way of trying out others that might be easier for them. I can tell you that downloading audiobooks on CD was a nightmare for me on iTunes but I knew that another software was easier and I had the means to use it, iPod only users do not. I'm rambling now

Hey Tom, I don't argue that there maybe other software out there that are easier and hell even better. However, the point I was making is just as I said in my reply to Var, the iPhone, iPod sort of goes hand and hand with iTunes and the fact that it is used to market the music, video, music store. I'd also venture to say that most iPod users could care less about venturing beyond iTunes.

I never use iTunes to download CD Audiobooks (it is indeed a PITA), like you I use another software and then just drag and drop it into iTunes which puts it in the Audiobook directory so I can sync it. I don't buy anything from the iTunes store. I usually buy from Amazon and the software automatically adds it to my iTunes library. So, while iTunes itself maybe limited with the right software you can do many things that you can just drag and drop right into iTunes and in some cases it will do it for you. I also discovered there are a few features under Mac iTunes that isn't available under Windows iTunes. It is too bad that both Apple and MS decided to go the proprietary route. I think if Apple was smart they would open the iPod and iTunes up because I'd venture to say there are other MP3 players out there that if they could use iTunes they would. Seems strange to say that, but that is just how easy it is to use and one it offers in a single package.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
No Var, I don't think you get it, in the last part of my response to you I talked about how nice it is to have a choice. I am not trying to convert you, I don't care what product you use. Just buy something you'll be happy with.

I own some Apple products now and have added those to my signature file, along with having several discussions recently and suddenly I am a Steve Jobs Kool-Aid drinker! I've never encountered this type mentality/attitude from folks with any other products I've owned and discussed on the forum. Over the years I've owned many products and reviewed them, discussed them for weeks and months.

Dab:

1. No offense was meant, I'm just not an apple guy.
2. For as much of a "kool aid drinker" you are for Apple, I am exaclty that same way for Samsung. I think Samsung makes the best TV's, Blu-Rays, MP3, etc and nobody can tell me different. I am a Samsung mark and I know this and accept it.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal

That's what I love about the Zune, it's firmware upgradeable. My dad's first-gen 30 GB Zune has the same OS and features that the current Zune offers.
Wow, thats cool. You mean they dont charge you for firmware upgrades and your not stuck with the interface they think you want?:sarcasm:
zune has just come up a few notches in my book, I will have to check out again this year for xmas gifts.

I expect a full review from Mr & Mrs. Hectic if you get a zune.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
fail.jpg

:jj: I just couldn't resist!! :D