New Slacker Portable at Best Buy

Music_Rube

Oct 17, 2008
I've had the Slacker G2 for a couple of weeks now and I have really enjoyed it! I bought the 25-station version and currently have 20 stations loaded. I haven't found too much repetition yet. Having the ability to view album artwork, artist bios and album reviews right on the device are some of my favorite features. I feel the sound quality of the device is much better than the way XM sounds (almost night and day in my opinion). I do realize that sound quality is very subjective, so someone else probably does not agree with me, which is OK. I haven't had any issues with software bugs, etc. The device seems to be very stable and performs as it was designed to do.

I am finding this device to be a real alternative to my XM Pioneer Inno. I, too, am not happy about what is going on at XM radio and because of that I very well might cancel my XM subscription in favor of Slacker.

I do recommend the Slacker G2 to anyone looking into purchasing one! :bigthumbup:

acap

Oct 16, 2008
I thought about buying a Slacker but with all the internet radio talk I don't want to invest money into something that might not be around in a year.

MikeV

Oct 15, 2008
Northern VA, USA
www.mikev.com
Picked up a G2 tonight... it's syncing my 9 current favorite channels as I type. I played with it briefly before I started syncing it, and it looks like a great device! It's small and uber-portable, has a great screen on it, sounds VERY good... and I think I'll be happy with my purchase, especially since I can listen to it at job #2, where I can't listen to XM (can't receive the signal in a concrete and steel warehouse building!). My Inno will be leaving my XM subscription shortly... I'll keep my mini tuner active for now though (since that's connected to my Timex clock radio and also used in my home theater receiver and CommanderMT).

MNXMFan

Oct 24, 2008
Picked up a G2 tonight... it's syncing my 9 current favorite channels as I type. I played with it briefly before I started syncing it, and it looks like a great device! It's small and uber-portable, has a great screen on it, sounds VERY good... and I think I'll be happy with my purchase, especially since I can listen to it at job #2, where I can't listen to XM (can't receive the signal in a concrete and steel warehouse building!). My Inno will be leaving my XM subscription shortly... I'll keep my mini tuner active for now though (since that's connected to my Timex clock radio and also used in my home theater receiver and CommanderMT).

So, I take it by your posts elsewhere, namely at the Slacker forums to mean that you decided to ditch the other subscription now too?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It does in terms of bandwidth. It does not in terms of coverage.

That Slacker G2 pretty much makes the covarage issue a moot point (at least in the US). You can go to almost any wifi hot spot and refresh your tunes. But having 25 or even 40 channels of music you're not likely to run out before you can refresh.

This totally resolves the reception issue that for many drives them nuts. I think Slacker maybe on to something if they can market it correctly, provide good support and keep the channels programmed as well as they are now.

Once they add the feature for DJ's and Station ID's, it will be just like real radio. Though you'll be able to opt out of those just for straight music if you prefer.

Fred

Oct 30, 2008
Once they add the feature for DJ's and Station ID's, it will be just like real radio. Though you'll be able to opt out of those just for straight music if you prefer.

I've heard a DJ and station IDs on the Today's Hits station. And, premium users (which I am) can turn this off if they want.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I've heard a DJ and station IDs on the Today's Hits station. And, premium users (which I am) can turn this off if they want.

Yeah I think it is the only channel right now that has it. I just wish that programming on that channel was more to my liking. But I'll try it again.