New PS3 Slim and price drop!

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Sony announced a new PS3 slim that is 34% smaller and lighter than the current PS3. On shelves September 1st. I wish it was the same size as the PS2 slim becuase it's still to big to carry with me. The price was dropped to $299 for all PS3's starting tomorrow. Is that cheap enough to start selling? Or is it too late? Can I get my $200 back since I paid $499 for one?:cool:

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I think it is too little too late, really.

You can still buy an XBOX360 for cheaper with way more games.

IF I were a hardcore gamer I'd buy one but I'm not and if I'd buy anything, I'd still get the 360.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
If you are need of a Blu Ray
Player and are even thinking about buying the PS3, just go out and get it since the PS3 doubles as a BR Player.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
No doubt they are trying to pose themselves for the holiday season as it is never too early to start planning on that. But it will likely be a very, very lean Christmas season. I would think many will stick with basics and buying necessities more than luxury items this holiday season.

However, I do thing Netbooks are going to be posed to sell like hot cakes myself. I've been to Best Buy a good bit here lately after doing all this Mac stuff. They are telling me those machines are flying off the shelves even without it being the holidays.

None the less I don't want to derail the topic since we are talking about game consoles. I've never wanted one, never had one and will never have one as I have no interest in games! I can see the point in regards to a Blu-Ray player, though I have a Sony BR player and I've probably watched 4 movies this year. I am doing like most everyone else... Hulu, Miro, Netflix... Plus I can rent HD content from iTunes and watch it via my Mac Mini to my 52" HDTV just fine. I would imagine there are many of us doing that now rather than investing in Blu Ray.

I think dropping the price is a smart move, but too little too late in my book! The 360 and Wii has this already!

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
If you are need of a Blu Ray
Player and are even thinking about buying the PS3, just go out and get it since the PS3 doubles as a BR Player.

My problem is that you can buy a much better blu-ray player as, I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the sony ps3 BR player doesn't support BD 2.0 and the other updates. So yeah, they stuck a bluray in there but you can buy a much better standalone for less or equal money.

I have a blu ray player and being that it is summer, haven't done much with it.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
My problem is that you can buy a much better blu-ray player as, I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the sony ps3 BR player doesn't support BD 2.0 and the other updates. So yeah, they stuck a bluray in there but you can buy a much better standalone for less or equal money.

I have a blu ray player and being that it is summer, haven't done much with it.

Actually from March 25th 2008:

PS3 firmware with BD-Live support now available
by John P. Falcone Font size Print E-mail Share 47 comments Yahoo! Buzz

The world's first 2.0-compatible Blu-ray player.

(Credit: CNET)The PlayStation 3 is the first Blu-ray player to support BD-Live functionality, thanks to a firmware update available today. Officially announced just last week, the update (version 2.20) was released right on schedule, and is now available as a free download to PS3 owners directly through the console's onscreen interface. Once installed, it allows the PS3's to access Internet-connected BD-Live content available on some discs. The list of compatible discs is currently minimal--just War and Saw IV available now, plus The Sixth Day and Walk Hard following on April 8--and the first round of BD-Live content doesn't seem to be very diverting. But as the list of supporting titles grows--and, ideally, the BD-Live content becomes more compelling--look for players that don't support Profile 2.0 compatibility to be confined to the clearance shelves. The PS3 remains the best bet for Blu-ray shoppers, even if they have no interest in using its gaming capabilities.

In addition to adding BD-Live support, the firmware upgrade includes a few other PS3 fixes and enhancements, including better DivX support and PSP integration. However, despite widespread rumors to the contrary, the update did not include the ability to copy portable versions of Blu-ray movies to the PSP. Audiophiles are also still holding out for an update that would add DTS-HD Master Audio decoding to the PS3, although Sony has not announced any plans to include that functionality.

So, what do you think, PS3 owners? Excited about the latest upgrade? Happy to be owning the best Blu-ray player out there? Or do you still want more? And for those who haven't yet taken the Blu-ray plunge: does this upgrade make the PS3 a more compelling purchase? Share your thoughts below.

And from Audioholics:

The PS3 for Non-Gamers
As the most capable Blu-ray player currently available, it's tempting to run out and pick one up even if you aren't a gamer. It supports video output via HDMI or from a special display port for Component video and older video output formats. An optical port is built in for Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM stereo output. Of course, the HDMI port supports those protocols as well as Uncompressed PCM for multiple channels. The only drawback at this time is the lack of internal DTS-HD Master Audio decoding. This doesn't mean you can't play a BD movie with this format, it just means you won't get the full uncompressed version. It will still output normal DTS, as the format seems to be backwards compatible. I was able to confirm this playing Saw IV.

Editor's Note: As of April 2008 Sony has released firmware 2.30 which adds, among other things, support for dts-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio. This means that Sony is now the most well-equipped Blu-ray player in the industry under $500, lacking only analogue multi-channel audio outputs.

There are lots of other playback options including CD, SACD, DVD, BD, network A/V streaming, and playback from removable flash or hard drive storage devices. Just look at the logos on the side of this thing! It does it all… Well, except for DVD-Audio and HD-DVD and… er… never mind.

The PS3 is actually ahead of the curve with all Blu-Ray updates and easily upgraded. If you think about it, Sony was in Blu-Ray camp from the start, so it makes sense they would stay up to date like this.

Last edited:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I can see the point in regards to a Blu-Ray player, though I have a Sony BR player and I've probably watched 4 movies this year. I am doing like most everyone else... Hulu, Miro, Netflix...

This is where the world is going. I have no interest in collecting a third set of shiny discs. My DVDs and laserdics already take up too much real estate.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Actually from March 25th 2008:

PS3 firmware with BD-Live support now available
by John P. Falcone Font size Print E-mail Share 47 comments Yahoo! Buzz

The world's first 2.0-compatible Blu-ray player.

(Credit: CNET)The PlayStation 3 is the first Blu-ray player to support BD-Live functionality, thanks to a firmware update available today. Officially announced just last week, the update (version 2.20) was released right on schedule, and is now available as a free download to PS3 owners directly through the console's onscreen interface. Once installed, it allows the PS3's to access Internet-connected BD-Live content available on some discs. The list of compatible discs is currently minimal--just War and Saw IV available now, plus The Sixth Day and Walk Hard following on April 8--and the first round of BD-Live content doesn't seem to be very diverting. But as the list of supporting titles grows--and, ideally, the BD-Live content becomes more compelling--look for players that don't support Profile 2.0 compatibility to be confined to the clearance shelves. The PS3 remains the best bet for Blu-ray shoppers, even if they have no interest in using its gaming capabilities.

In addition to adding BD-Live support, the firmware upgrade includes a few other PS3 fixes and enhancements, including better DivX support and PSP integration. However, despite widespread rumors to the contrary, the update did not include the ability to copy portable versions of Blu-ray movies to the PSP. Audiophiles are also still holding out for an update that would add DTS-HD Master Audio decoding to the PS3, although Sony has not announced any plans to include that functionality.

So, what do you think, PS3 owners? Excited about the latest upgrade? Happy to be owning the best Blu-ray player out there? Or do you still want more? And for those who haven't yet taken the Blu-ray plunge: does this upgrade make the PS3 a more compelling purchase? Share your thoughts below.

And from Audioholics:

The PS3 for Non-Gamers
As the most capable Blu-ray player currently available, it's tempting to run out and pick one up even if you aren't a gamer. It supports video output via HDMI or from a special display port for Component video and older video output formats. An optical port is built in for Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM stereo output. Of course, the HDMI port supports those protocols as well as Uncompressed PCM for multiple channels. The only drawback at this time is the lack of internal DTS-HD Master Audio decoding. This doesn't mean you can't play a BD movie with this format, it just means you won't get the full uncompressed version. It will still output normal DTS, as the format seems to be backwards compatible. I was able to confirm this playing Saw IV.

Editor's Note: As of April 2008 Sony has released firmware 2.30 which adds, among other things, support for dts-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio. This means that Sony is now the most well-equipped Blu-ray player in the industry under $500, lacking only analogue multi-channel audio outputs.

There are lots of other playback options including CD, SACD, DVD, BD, network A/V streaming, and playback from removable flash or hard drive storage devices. Just look at the logos on the side of this thing! It does it all… Well, except for DVD-Audio and HD-DVD and… er… never mind.

The PS3 is actually ahead of the curve with all Blu-Ray updates and easily upgraded. If you think about it, Sony was in Blu-Ray camp from the start, so it makes sense they would stay up to date like this.

Aha. Clearly, I stand corrected.