New PC monitor

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I bought a new Monitor for my HP desktop, is a 19" one, but the problem is the picture is elongated abit too much horizontally. It like stretches the picture a bit too much, I can go to the display settings, but whatever I do I can't really make it "normal", any help/suggestions?:confused:

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
What resolution do you have it set at?

My new monitor that I got on Monday seemed a little blurry at 1600x1000, so I set it to 1680x1050 and it is now crisper and it fits the screen better.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
What resolution do you have it set at?

My new monitor that I got on Monday seemed a little blurry at 1600x1000, so I set it to 1680x1050 and it is now crisper and it fits the screen better.

I generally have to screw around with settings as well to get it to look good. Seems like different video card/monitor combinations look best at different settings.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I downloaded a bunch of new drivers and it now seems better. Previously it helped very little to change the screen display resolution, the picture was just a tad stretched too long (horizontal). Thanks for your suggestions.:)

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I downloaded a bunch of new drivers and it now seems better. Previously it helped very little to change the screen display resolution, the picture was just a tad stretched too long (horizontal). Thanks for your suggestions.:)

You might have to tweak with it for a while. I mess with refresh rates occasionally as well.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The main thing is to set to its native resolution which is supports. If you use anything but the native resolution it will generally look crappy.

I have several 19" HP monitors and many of them tilt and swivel. But the native resolution is 1080 x 1024 and it is crisp and clean. No stretching of graphics. You can read in the manual what the native resolution of any monitor is suppose to be. Once you do this simply by hitting auto button it will adjust itself accordingly.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I somewhat like them, but are the touchscreen monitors any good? I don't like showing all the fingerprints. But I have been checking out the new HP - TouchSmart All-In-One Desktop with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor.

8882925_ra.jpg

Last edited:

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Are the touchscreen monitors very good, I somewhat like them, but I don't like all the fingerprints showing. But I have been checking out the new HP - TouchSmart All-In-One Desktop with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor.

8882925_ra.jpg

I can't imagine wanting my hands in the air all the time (or to have the screen that close). Plus, I wouldn't be able to drink a beer and surf the net at the same time so I would never get anything done.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I somewhat like them, but are the touchscreen monitors any good? I don't like showing all the fingerprints. But I have been checking out the new HP - TouchSmart All-In-One Desktop with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor.

IMO they would get so smudgy and it would be very annoying.

I can't imagine wanting my hands in the air all the time (or to have the screen that close). Plus, I wouldn't be able to drink a beer and surf the net at the same time so I would never get anything done.

I agree.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
IMO they would get so smudgy and it would be very annoying.

You mean like the iPhone and iPod Touch? Anything you touch with your hand will get that way. But like anything else you just take a eye glass cleaning cloth and wipe it down one or two times a day.

This are very cool, but there are other aspects of it that I find annoying, but it has more to do with HP touch software than anything.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
You mean like the iPhone and iPod Touch? Anything you touch with your hand will get that way.

LOL. Since I get no service at my house, I don't use it as much. ;)

Also, I'm not sure what the monitor screen is made of.

To me, the iPhone & iPod Touch hid finger prints pretty good.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I bought a new Monitor for my HP desktop, is a 19" one, but the problem is the picture is elongated abit too much horizontally. It like stretches the picture a bit too much, I can go to the display settings, but whatever I do I can't really make it "normal", any help/suggestions?:confused:

Go to display properties settings and drag the screen resolution as far to the right, (towards "More"), as possible. that is the default screen resolution.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Yeah I guess I need to quit eating fried chicken and using it! hehehe

What for after licking your fingers, just finish licking your screen. :p I know that very gross!

Hell my Sprint Instinct Phone gets quite a bit of finger prints as well, but I just a eye glasses cloth to clean it.