New iPod Touch is out (64 gigs)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'll pay it when I'm ready to get it. I've been waiting for a touch device that can handle all my collection plus Slacker and Pandora plus others, and this is it. Probably October or so.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Price is tough for sure, but you are basically buying a computer with a 3.5" display, which also happens to do a kick ass job of handling music, videos, podcast, audiobooks to name a few, along with a huge selection of applications. If I wouldn't have gone with an iPhone earlier this year, I'd get one of these without question. Then again I used it for everything like I do my iPhone. I of course did have a separate phone back then.

I think many are shocked and disappointed that Apple didn't include the video camera on the new iPod Touch. It does have a faster processor, but basically it is the same as the 2nd generation.

I think for someone with a first generation (no speaker, no blue tooth, much slower processor) or this being their first iPod Touch and you've been waiting for one with more space the 64GB version is a no brainer. Someone with a 2nd generation other than the space and being a bit faster this isn't much of an improvement.

Pinball Wizard you wife is right to love the iPhone 3GS it rocks! :) But this 64GB iPod Touch will rock too for someone with a need and the funds to buy one. LOL

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
iPod touch - Apple Store (U.S.)

Looks great, but $399 is kinda high :shock:

I wish they would just release a 120 or 160 gig touch already. At this rate it will be another year or two. Apple dropped the ball and didn't add a camera. Whats up with that???? They added that to the Nano and not the touch. I know that Apple can do know wrong I get that ;). I guess they feel like non of us will want a camera on our Ipod Touches until they TELL us we want one.

I love the touch, but I can't understand why Apple does some of the things they do. I read that Steve Jobs says people don't want a camera on their touch because they use it as a gaming machine? Has he lost it??

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I don't think you'll see a 120 or 160GB anytime soon, because the flash memory is not available at that size or at least not at an affordable enough price for them to do so within the price scheme that they currently offer. Makes sense to me!

In regards to the camera, there is little doubt they drop the ball on that one, but depending on where you get your information. It seems that there were some problems with the camera and in their testing they just couldn't seem to get it right and finally made the decision to not add the Camera. Then I also heard that an executive decision was made because of the cost of the Cam and in order to keep the pricing within the range at retail and still make a profit they decided to drop the cam. I've not seen where Steve said folks don't want a Cam, I seen where he supposedly said the will roll out a cam model later. So, which is the real reason, take your pick.

I am just glad I got an iPhone as I don't have to worry about all that! 32GB is plenty big enough for all the music apps you can add now days. I just don't see where having a huge amount of memory is that important anymore, but I can only speak for myself.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I don't think you'll see a 120 or 160GB anytime soon, because the flash memory is not available at that size or at least not at an affordable enough price for them to do so within the price scheme that they currently offer. Makes sense to me!

In regards to the camera, there is little doubt they drop the ball on that one, but depending on where you get your information. It seems that there were some problems with the camera and in their testing they just couldn't seem to get it right and finally made the decision to not add the Camera. Then I also heard that an executive decision was made because of the cost of the Cam and in order to keep the pricing within the range at retail and still make a profit they decided to drop the cam. I've not seen where Steve said folks don't want a Cam, I seen where he supposedly said the will roll out a cam model later. So, which is the real reason, take your pick.

I am just glad I got an iPhone as I don't have to worry about all that! 32GB is plenty big enough for all the music apps you can add now days. I just don't see where having a huge amount of memory is that important anymore, but I can only speak for myself.

I'm sure your right about the flash memory. Here is the link the the Steve Jobs reason for no camera. Steve Jobs Gives His Reasons for Lack of Camera in iPod Touch - ipod touch 3rd generation - Gizmodo

That site is really good and has great info. Make sure you read the bottom. It made me laugh.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm sure your right about the flash memory. Here is the link the the Steve Jobs reason for no camera. Steve Jobs Gives His Reasons for Lack of Camera in iPod Touch - ipod touch 3rd generation - Gizmodo

That site is really good and has great info. Make sure you read the bottom. It made me laugh.

Thanks Ehilbert, I'll check it out! :) By the way I am sure there are some folks out there like yourself that would LOVE a 120GB iPod Touch! Just imagine would Apple would charge for that sucker though?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Apple tends to double whatever the memory capacity of the previous version was. 8, 16, 32, now 64GB. I can't imagine the 128GB can be too far away. I am looking for something that plays on my old iPod Hifi without having to worry about Airplane mode or charging, and this qualifies.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Apple tends to double whatever the memory capacity of the previous version was. 8, 16, 32, now 64GB. I can't imagine the 128GB can be too far away. I am looking for something that plays on my old iPod Hifi without having to worry about Airplane mode or charging, and this qualifies.

Only if they can keep it in the price range that they have always done which is the $399 on the larger capacity. Until it comes down sufficiently for them to do that, I don't see it happening! I think the fact that there are so many music streaming programs and now with them approving Rhapsody which is a subscription service where you basically can do all you can eat, that makes the need even less necessary. We won't see any additional sizes until next year at this time. So, if the memory comes down enough then we may see it. Apple is all about price points and profits!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
With streaming radio, my collection hasn't grown much if at all. It has remained at around 40-45GB. I used to spend entire week's paycheck on CDs at one time, now I'm good for about 2-3 iTunes purchases a month when the money is right.

I'm just thinking it would be nice to have an iPod touch that I could carry all of my collection, plus have Slacker, Pandora and others. That would leave my iPhone to be used for other things, like a PDA, and even a phone.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
PC Mag Editors Choice (iPod Touch 3rd Gen)

Cnet iPod Touch 3rd Gen Still King of the Hill

Just to name a couple. Seems that most are now comparing it to the Zune HD and still say it is the best portable music player on the market. What is strange is many tout it is because of iTunes 9 which has so many new cool features. iTunes has always sort of been the thing that many have used as a reason NOT to get an iPod.

Good read, but many will say these two reviewers or company reviews are just Pro Apple! It will be interesting to see there Zune HD reviews.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
PC Mag Editors Choice (iPod Touch 3rd Gen)

Cnet iPod Touch 3rd Gen Still King of the Hill

Just to name a couple. Seems that most are now comparing it to the Zune HD and still say it is the best portable music player on the market. What is strange is many tout it is because of iTunes 9 which has so many new cool features. iTunes has always sort of been the thing that many have used as a reason NOT to get an iPod.

Good read, but many will say these two reviewers or company reviews are just Pro Apple! It will be interesting to see there Zune HD reviews.

I'd love an Ipod touch if it had the same capacity as the ipod classics. But I know that this would be impractical given that they use flash mem. Honestly the only thing keeping me from buying one is the lack of clickwheel for use in the car without looking at the screen. Using the touch screen for blind control might be tough!

I disagree about iTunes though. It's a classic example of bloatware. It's got lots of cool features but it seems to be getting fatter with each release. I'd really love to see a slimmed down version that just does basic ipod management. Plus I find it highly annoying that it installs crap on your system without asking you (bonjour and mobile device support come to mind). Not to mention how the apple updater tries to push Safari on you whenever you update iTunes. So I like iTunes, but it has a lot of annoying habits that would make even Microsoft blush.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Honestly the only thing keeping me from buying one is the lack of clickwheel for use in the car without looking at the screen. Using the touch screen for blind control might be tough!

I'd really love to see a slimmed down version that just does basic ipod management. Plus I find it highly annoying that it installs crap on your system without asking you (bonjour and mobile device support come to mind). Not to mention how the apple updater tries to push Safari on you whenever you update iTunes. So I like iTunes, but it has a lot of annoying habits that would make even Microsoft blush.

What I like is on the 3rd Gen iPod Touch is the Voice Command's! Play Playlist, Play Artist, Play Song, it seems to work fairly well on the iPhone, so I assume it works as well on the iPod Touch. This is what I use when I am on the road listening to music. Personally I hate that freaking scroll wheel! HATE IT! The only problem I see is that on the iPod Touch is that it doesn't have a built in MIC so voice commands would have to be done through the headphone setup. This in my opinion is a terrible oversight. There is no reason they should have not added a mic. Then again I've not used one so maybe they did and I just don't know it.

I do agree with you in terms of iTunes trying to install a lot of other stuff that one may not use like Bonjour or even Phone Management tools if you don't have an iPhone and of course Safari. I honestly don't mind that they ask me to install those things ONCE, but you should be able to click on something like you can in Windows Update that hides it where you are never asked again!

In terms of it being Bloatware, I guess that depends on ones definition, I don't see the software itself really being bloated as it they continue to add features and when you that the program will get fatter. Now I like your idea of a basic music management version. However, there are other software programs out there that are pretty much basic and actually work with the iPod.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
did they add a memory slot?
can you swap batteries?

:clueless:

I have an iPod that I've been having for 4 years now and I still get about 24 hours of playing with it. So, I don't see the need to worry about a swappable battery. If the would die and early death it is covered under their warranty. I have a 32GB iPod Touch, 32gb iPhone and an old 30gb classic, the way I see it, If you have more music than the device can hold then either you have to swap out tunes occasionally or get the larger capacity classic. Seems pretty simple to me! Also my expereince with memory cards on portable devices would indicate they are slow and actually don't make for an overall good user experience. I think it is smart of Apple to stay away from them on their portables. You know when you buy and 8gb, 16gb, 32gb or 64gb and 160gb on the classic that is the memory you have to work with; buy according to your needs and a memory card becomes moot.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
I want to remove the battery for storage. I use it so infrequently that the battery is dead by the time i go to use it, even if it was fully charged. when Im away from an outlet for a few days at a time an extra battery is essential.

So its OK to you if a product just gets pitched in a land fill when the battery back dies? Apples' so green...:rolleyes:

flash cards would be great for holding movies and sharing media. saying xGB is enough is bull, you know that. plus it would keep the prices down as smaller models would be more flexible.

Oh right those are the reason they dont have these features, the customer would get more value. Jobs wont have that, cause its such a Woz POV.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I want to remove the battery for storage. I use it so infrequently that the battery is dead by the time i go to use it, even if it was fully charged. when Im away from an outlet for a few days at a time an extra battery is essential.

So its OK to you if a product just gets pitched in a land fill when the battery back dies? Apples' so green...:rolleyes:

If you discharge an iPod to about 60% of its capacity and then store it, it will do just fine. There are reports of people having stashed them for 2 years or more and they charge right up and work fine.

Apple has a very strong recycle program for those that don't wish to continue using their iPod's in fact they can be returned for an upgrade. If your battery needs replacing and you don't wish to upgrade they have a program for that too. Apple then safely discards those batteries. The fact is that more folks juts take batteries out of electronics with user replaceable batteries and throw them in their trash cans which end up in landfills, so that is real safe too eh? I'd book to say that there aren't as many iPod's or iPhones or MacBook Pro's sitting in landfills as many other electronics because they hold their resale value so long, they usually end up on Ebay.

If you are someone that can't live within the battery life that an Apple iPod offers and you know you can't have a 2nd battery then there are two options. One you can get an external add on battery, which in some cases will actually charge your iPod or you can make the decision that the iPod just isn't for you.

It is like I said we can all look and nitpick about stuff on every electronic device made. You take some of Sirius's portables... you can't even buy and extra battery for them and they could be user replaceable. So that is real smart!

Apple has their way of doing things and they feel their way gives an end user the best experience over all. Some will disagree with that and those can buy a Zune. Apple has sold 30 million iPhones, 20 million iPod Touch's and 100 million Nano's. Apparently them not having user swappable batteries and memory cards has had very little impact on them. So that is that! If you need those things... buy some other brand! It truly is a no brainer!

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
It was a gift. or it would be a creative or iriver.

Thanks for the 60% storage tip, now how do i just make it charge or discharge to 60? Is there a battery saver function or app?

How much does apple give you back on your ipod-phone when you have to upgrade because the battery is done?

Watching my friends struggle with their iphones due to battery and lack of slot, is always fun. But i no longer can give em shit about cut/paste.

Job$ is $lowly coming around, he ju$t ha$ hi$ own $pecial $low way$.;)

The battery and HDD swap on the MBP is so sick! Thats all the iphone/pods need is a sweet apple style storage and battery swap option. Id gladly pay more for the upgrade to those options over flashy colors and engraving.

With the exeption of those two important missing hardware features and the whole itunes necessity and drm BS, The itouch is an otherwise awesome device. (OK a line in for recording lossless, would be a 3rd thing. hm- Job$ must not want you to record music for free.)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I could not say how much Apple gives back I just know I've seen the program mentioned on their web site. I personally have never had to do a trade in as I've never had a battery failure or even a battery reduced by much off the full charge.

In regards to charging there is no app that I am aware of, but I've not really looked either. There are several battery applications though, so one of them may have this feature. I know how I would do it, which is just to set it to charge and when it got to what I think is about 60% I'd stop charging it. It isnt' rocket science and doesn't have to be EXACTLY 60%. Just some where in that range.

Well your friends aren't to swift if they are struggling with their batteries and lack of a slot, because they should have known when they bought them what they were buying. Apple can't be held responsible for uneducated buyers. When I purchased my iPod Touch and iPhone I considered my library and how much space I would need, then bought accordingly. Not to mention with the auto fill up feature in iTunes I can get my music swapped out pretty often and this keeps it fresh.

Once again I don't know of any reason whatsoever I'd need a slot or a 2nd battery.. None, Nada!! Also there is nothing wrong with iTunes I think all that stuff that people get into about it is just BS in most cases. Most users never have problems with iTunes and it does the job for the iPhones, iPod's etc. There is 3rd party software that will let you do basic management if that is all you are after, so that is a non issue.

Just seems to me you are looking for stuff that you perceive as being its weakness to say "OH yeah that is why I won't own or buy one". "Oh yeah that is why I hate Apple", it's just seems so silly to me. LOL It is pretty clear that most folks know what Apple's iPod's, iPhones, iTunes are capable of or not, so it a matter of making an educated choice to buy one for yourself or not. I don't see where the complication is or where you complaint is. Apple doesn't support what you perceive as being so important! Personally I see why Apple goes the route they do because for most end users those things aren't important AT ALL! One thing you don't have a leg to stand on is that it clearly has not impacted their sales. These devices are not perfect, show me one that is. I could nitpick any electronic device and find things I think are shortcomings. But shame on me if I didn't do my home work before I made the purchase. If it was a gift and you just don't find any use for it due to those perceived issues, then donate it! I am sure someone here on the forum would love to have it. :)

Apple does what Apple does, so our response; we buy it or we don't!