New (G2) firmware 1.9.40 (2/26/09)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Just downloaded firmware version 1.9.40. Once again I found that as it was going from dot to dot it stopped on one and stayed there for a long time before finally restarting. You will then see Updating Station Information (this may take a few minutes) which is does.

Will post changes shortly!

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
Don't know if this was corrected or not in the new firmware, but it should be mentioned.

Once you download the new one, going into settings, and restarting your Slacker will not install it.

You must unplug it from a power source and shut it down via holding down the play button for 5 seconds, and then turning it back on by holding the play button.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Release notes from over on the Slacker board, from Jim:

But finally, what is in this release...

1. We have fixed some cases where the players would not fully enter sleep when they went to sleep. This was what was causing some people to lose battery power when the device should have been sleeping. We feel that we have closed all possible causes of this issue but if you still have 'battery loss in sleep' issues with 1.9.40 then please let us know.

2. The one I hope you really like is a new 'hands free' large text display for those of you who use the device in the car (or other places where the device is too far from your face to read the small text). If you set your player to 'Wake on song change' you will now see a large text overlay in between tracks that hopefully you will be able to read much more easily.

3. We optimized the ability for tracks to be played on multiple custom stations better. I won't go into details here other than to say that in previous releases of firmware under some circumstances certain tracks would not play on more than one station at a time. For example if you had two similar custom stations on your device they should share many tracks and increase the variability and depth of both stations. This is now more of the case then ever before as there were some (limited) issues with this prior to a fix in this release.

4. Hopefully a few of you saw this last bug that was fixed and this was some of the play/pause confusion with the device. Our beta testers (thanks guys) for this release have let us know that you can still have your device get into weird semi-paused/semi-playing states. We're sorry about this but, with 1.9.40, you can be sured that we've tackled some of the cases where this can happen.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks Snake,

The large text overlay when (wake on song change) even if you have it set to always on when docked is really cool for the car or even at home in my opinion!

I was sure hoping they would get rid of that nasty battery charged indicator so that it didn't require a scroll wheel push to get rid of it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Once you download the new one, going into settings, and restarting your Slacker will not install it.

You must unplug it from a power source and shut it down via holding down the play button for 5 seconds, and then turning it back on by holding the play button.

Thanks styckx that is a great reminder and you are absolutely correct!

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
Can't complain about this update. Tackling some bugs and optimization is a good thing.

JMII

Nov 21, 2008
Margate, FL USA
Love feature #2. Just the other day I was thinking: "the darn text is too small for reading in the car" and today they fix it! Is there some kind of brain scan built into the WiFi signal? :cool:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well so far this update has been rock solid. I probably shouldn't say anything like that because I will jinx myself. LOL

I am still seeing folks with the signing on issue, though it appears if you go to the G2 menu and select G2 Shut Down. Once the G2 restarts, you can then go back into connect and it should work just fine.

I am also seeing some folks that have had the issue I had which is where some channels will show that they are loading, but when you attempt to play them it says you must refresh. I know some of this has to do with folks not saying custom stations in the web player to the custom station category. But in my case all my stations were saved and it was also doing this on Slacker created stations.

Still some bugs and glitches here and there to deal with.

In terms of features, I think we've probably come pretty close to reaching a plateau where they aren't likely to add much more. I think all additional ideas will be saved for the G2 replacement, whenever that might be.