New (G2) Firmware 1.9.28 Released (2/3/09)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
New G2 firmware has been released. As always, to get the firmware, please make sure your player is over 50% charged (we recommend fully charged). Refresh your stations and then you will get the firmware update. When you get to refresh complete, power of your player by holding the Play/Pause key for 2 or 3 seconds and it will power off, then a few seconds later turn back on and do the firmware update.

Changes in this release are simple. We added the ability to "Restart Slacker G2" under the advanced Settings Menu. This should be used rather than doing a HOME+BAN restart of the player. I would encourage anyone that is having to use this fairly often to contact support and let us know. If there is an underlying problem that needs to be fixed, we will look into it, but if we are unaware of the problem we can't fix it.

Best regards,
Rome E
Slacker Support

There are some other under the surface changes but nothing you should notice or be concerned about. (Jim Amidei - Principle Firmware Engineer)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Just a word of caution when I ran this update the dot indicator that jumps from one dot to another seem to freeze on a single dot. It stayed there for a good while, but then eventually the G2 just restarted. So, be patient and you'll have a successfully updated G2.

Thanks,

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Finally. A restart option that Slacker support won't cane you for using. It was sorely needed.

Did they mention any bug-fixes of any sort in this release?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Did they mention any bug-fixes of any sort in this release?

The only other info is this; There are some other under the surface changes but nothing you should notice or be concerned about.

I agree with you this was really needed, but I don't think they realized how many folks would use the ban+home buttons to do a hard restart.

I was thinking they should have actually put the hard shut down in the menu and made the ban+home button the normal reboot because if the device is in some states you may not be able to get to the menu, but then I guess in those situation you may need to do a forced shut down so it makes sense after all.

JMII

Nov 21, 2008
Margate, FL USA
I wonder if they fixed the battery management issues that seemed to have gotten worst with the previous firmwear. Three days of idle time = dead battery :(

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I wonder if they fixed the battery management issues that seemed to have gotten worst with the previous firmwear. Three days of idle time = dead battery :(

I don't think my device has ever managed to sit idle for much longer than a few hours, much less a few days. But hopefully this was something they addressed as I was not even aware of it because of how much I use mine.