New (G1) Firmware 1.6.112 Release (1/30/09)

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio
http://forums.slacker.com/new-firmware-1-6-112-released!-t3119.html

This supposedly addresses this dreaded refresh problem:

-This version of the firmware should resolve known issues with certain routers (WRT54G and 2WIRE, among others) that can only refresh one station at a time.
-It should also improve stability as we did find a bug that resulted in players becoming unstable.
-If you have the player asleep for more than 6 hours, the player will REBOOT the next time you power it on. This Reboot should add additional stability to the player.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Hope this fixes my "battery only lasts a 12 hours when off" problems.

RE-charging now to refresh and update.

Edit: Hey slacker! how about a auto off timer after usb power is turned off. ie auto car standby and auto on when connected to ignition switched power.
And ability to disable wifi radio. mine seems to try and refresh from the driveway even when the bateery is too low- causing restarting loop.

Thanks !

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It is great to see that they are continuing to support the G1 after all those Woot sales.

You guys that install it need to report back and let everyone know what you think about it.

I also corrected the release date in the title and made this a sticky, unstuck the old update.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
It is great to see that they are continuing to support the G1 after all those Woot sales.

You guys that install it need to report back and let everyone know what you think about it.

I also corrected the release date in the title and made this a sticky, unstuck the old update.

Mine was plugged in and fully charged but got hung on "Starting up " loop after refresh.

now its bricked.:mad:

Why was i such an idiot and tried this on the weekend, when there is no support available!!??

crap!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I thought this was worth posting from the Slacker Forum.

The bug fixes have to do with a few areas that lead to instability in a few areas. Nothing cosmetic or user interface related but you will notice HUGE improvements (as folks on this forum have mentioned) in the ability to refresh your stations and keep the player in an operational state.

I do not think it is a secret that there were some pretty major bugs for some people with the previous firmware. We have fixed everything that we know about but a lot of it has to do with internal details (file system management, power management, wifi connectivity, etc.) that I am not going to enumerate.

You are strongly encouraged to upgrade to this latest firmware by whatever means possible (we know that some earlier versions of firmware had trouble downloading and applying firmware updates but the PC-assisted reflash always works as a last resort).

------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Amidei - Principal Firmware Engineer - Slacker Inc.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Xan did you try doing the reflash as that seems to be what they are ultimately recommending.

jeddeth

Oct 28, 2008
Hope this fixes my "battery only lasts a 12 hours when off" problems.

Thanks !

is this a known issue? Whenever I don't use my G1 for a few days... when I take it out again the battery is fully dead. I thought I just had a bad battery or something.

I'm updating the firmware now, so I'll report back if/when I see a difference. I have the problematic linksys router and complained about it a lot when I first got the G1... so I really hope this fixes my refresh issues.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
is this a known issue? Whenever I don't use my G1 for a few days... when I take it out again the battery is fully dead. I thought I just had a bad battery or something.

I'm updating the firmware now, so I'll report back if/when I see a difference. I have the problematic linksys router and complained about it a lot when I first got the G1... so I really hope this fixes my refresh issues.
I had not seen other reports of it. but i was hoping a fix would come.
To me it would seem to be trying to connect to various wifi signals and drain the battery quickly when its unsuccessful.

the break seems to have worked. my slacker is charging on my pc. if i try charging it in the wall it keeps trying to hook up to wifi and gets the low battery warning.
I guess its good i have the ip address for the slacker occupied or it might try upgrading before the battery charges enough again.:scatch:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Well it is talking about power management as being something they addressed in this fix. I know on the G2 after the device sits idle for 2 hours it does a hard shut down to prevent it from draining the battery. I honestly didn't have my G1 long enough to recall if it did this or not, but apparently not.

The 3rd thing in DoublEE's post I found interesting too, because for it to do a total reboot would mean it would have done a total shut down during the sleep mode.

It will be interesting to see what you guys find out after a bit of using it.

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC
Ok, Ive been adding and deleting stations via wifi, not locked up once, I have a Lynksys router, and had a lot of lock ups before

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Ok, Ive been adding and deleting stations via wifi, not locked up once, I have a Lynksys router, and had a lot of lock ups before

:bigthumbup:

Sweet! I am so darn happy to see the Slacker Dev Team continuing to support the G1. I have to admit I was getting a bit concerned as this update took much longer than I thought it should have. However, I guess they wanted to make sure they got it right rather than rush it out.

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC
Can you elaborate on that some? Software update? You mean the software player?

I guess that was a poor post, I am happy that refresh will be better, but I also think the the player it self needs some fine tuning, I am turning on and off the backlight all the time, I AM ONE OF THE FEW THAT LIKE THE TOUCH STRIP, maybe they could come up with a sensitivity setting, mine seems very touchy. ect...

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I guess that was a poor post, I am happy that refresh will be better, but I also think the the player it self needs some fine tuning, I am turning on and off the backlight all the time, I AM ONE OF THE FEW THAT LIKE THE TOUCH STRIP, maybe they could come up with a sensitivity setting, mine seems very touchy. ect...

I see, so you mean feature wise you'd like to see them add some menu items for the backlight, like maybe for it to light up when a song changes like on the G2?

I think most people find just what you do that the touch strip is too sensitive and with no ability adjust it they just disable it. I doubt we'll see them ever do much with that, but who know for sure?

jeddeth

Oct 28, 2008
I also posted this on the slacker forum...

After updating the firmware, my stations seem to be refreshing via my linksys router!!!! THANK YOU Slacker!!

Out of curiosity... What on earth was the actual problem? Was it the router? Was it the G1? What was going on to cause all this trouble?

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
well after getting it to wake up and recharging again, it connected to my wifi and now its been stuck on connecting to slacker-signing in.... for over 2 hours!!!:(:mad: