New Firmware 1.9.26 released for G2 (1/20/09)

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by out of control, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Don't see any release notes. I have not updated this yet. So once you do it. Post your findings.......

2. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Updated with no issues. Just a word of caution, during the update it will stop switching between dots and sit for what seems like a long, long time. Be patient it will eventually shut down. Then you'll have to manually restart it. You should be good to go.

There are two new options in the Backlight Time menu

Always On In Dock
    Wake on Song Change

This message is from Jim Amidei - Principal Firmware Engineer - Slacker Inc.

Here's one you may not have noticed... The user interface is noticeably faster in some areas (for example browsing your library). It may not be obvious to you (especially since you cannot go back to 1.9.16 and compare) but, if you could, you would see about a 10-25% improvement in the responsiveness in all menus and dialogs.

You have noticed "Always on In Dock". Sorry about the short name but I can confirm that this refers to both docks and usb cables. If this item is checked the device backlight will be always on if the device is plugged into anything (usb power, usb data, or device dock). In the last case the device dock must be itslef plugged into a usb power source but that is, I hope, expected.

You have also noticed "Wake On Song Change". This item will wake up the LCD backlight (if it is otherwise off) during song changes. The amount of time the backlight is illuminated is equal to the timeout you set above. For example if you set the backlight timeout to 20 seconds then the LCD will illuminate 10 seconds before and stay illuminated until 10 seconds after any song change.

There are a couple of other non-perceptible changes in this release but other than that we hope that 1.9.26 will be very similar to 1.9.16.

3. willie321

willie321 Member

Just did the firmware update...The backlight options are nice. Now at the office when plugged in I can see the display all the time, and while in the car the wake on song change will be nice.

As DAB says it does stick on the 2nd dot for a few minutes but it does shutdown and then on next power on it will do it's thing and finish.

4. lronglien

lronglien Member

Firmware

How do you do the firmware update?

5. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Refresh your channels and at the end of it, it will download the firmware update. Then when you shut down it will run the install. Make sure your battery is fully charged when you restart it because if the battery is less than half charged it will not run the install.

Please make not of how it will appear stuck for a long period of time. Be patient, it will eventually shut down. Then you simply restart it, it will update stations and bam you are good to go.

6. styckx

styckx Member

Install went smooth, not really long at all, maybe 2 minutes tops.

Like the new back light options.

7. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

I'd love that backlight option on my G1.

Better start saving up...

8. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

Thanks for the info, everybody. I was able to refresh without freaking out.

9. Music_Rube

Music_Rube Member

I love these two new options. I was hoping they would eventually include them. It will simply further my Slacker listening enjoyment!

10. Support states the update also allows navigation on the player to respond a bit faster. I'll be doing the update this weekend.

11. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Yes as noted above in the message from Jim Amidei - Principal Firmware Engineer - Slacker Inc for which I can confirm!

12. snakester

snakester Member

It's definitely true. I got to play with an older version when I first got my slacker (i think it was 1.7 something, I did a partial refresh just to see how the radio worked) and there was definitely some interface lag that isn't present in the new update. It's a LOT smoother now.

13. JMII

JMII Member

NICE! I like both of these features, especially the dock one since I just got my dock :smug:

Now they just need to add pause/play options to the docked stated. For example when you remove the player from the dock/USB power it automatically pauses (and shutdowns after awhile) then restarts and resumes play when you return it to the dock/USB power.

Who do I need to email these suggestion to?

14. xan_user

xan_user Banned

THAT would be so damn frickin SWEET!

(and so easy to implement, no? even on the G1...hint-hint)

15. SatRadioRules

SatRadioRules Member

I didn't notice the firmware update happening, but noticed today the dock light option...very nice.