New Channels On The App (feb 2019)

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
There's a ton of new channels on the app. I haven't checked them out, but many of them seem to be themed by channel (Octane, 80s on 8, Classic Rewind) into things like pop party, workout) and whatnot.

There's a few weird-sounding ones like 80s and 90s Wedding Party, 80s and 90s Prom Party, etc.)

Remember the MySXM which was taken away a year or so ago? This *seems* like it *could* be a replacement, but I haven't checked them out yet.

Reactions: Aaron

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Maybe they are already starting to tap into the Pandora content. :dunno1
The exclusive-to-the-app channels have been around for a long time, way before the Pandora announcement. But they add or change the app channels from time to time.

I like Indie 1.0, it's like the "old school" show on XMU, but 24/7 instead of an hour per day. And yes, we play Yacht Rock for background, because we like to hear Toto's Africa every hour. They have RRHOF radio, and some others I can't remember.

Oh, the wife put on Valentine Radio for our valentine's day dinner at home. It was actually a good mix of music.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
The RadioInsight radio news site finally acknowledged the new channels today (February 21). ChillHop? Cloud Rap? Classic Rock BBQ? Does SiriusXM have an Executive Vice President In Charge Of Coming Up With Dumb Names?

SiriusXM adds 100+ new streaming playlists

SiriusXM has followed its purchase of Pandora with the addition of Pandora-like playlists built as sub-brands of their existing channels. The 100+ new "Xtra Channels" are gradually being rolled out to different internet devices and are currently available on the SiriusXM website and its iOS and Android apps. The channels feature Pandora-like features such as skipping and limited imaging but no personalities and like all of SiriusXM's music channels are commercial-free.

The channels are mostly branded as sub-brands of other SiriusXM music channels with content mostly self-explanatory with names such as Hits1 Discovery, '80s On 8 Workout, Pop2K Top 100, Classic Rock BBQ, '90s On 9 Dance and Prime Country Party. Some of the playlists not attached to other channels include Prom Radio, '90s Rock & Hip-Hop Mash Up, Yoga, “ChillHop and Cloud Rap.

SiriusXM Adds Over 100+ New Streaming Playlists - RadioInsight

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I just looked over the channels. Most of them are pared-down playlists of existing channels. They have the top 100 songs for each channel, or the newest songs for the channels that play new music. There's a subset of Lithium for workout music. And they have a prom and wedding channel.

Seems like these may be good for parties or background, where you want a more reliable playlist. I'll see if I can check out some of these tomorrow.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
SiriusXM has followed its purchase of Pandora with the addition of Pandora-like playlists built as sub-brands of their existing channels. The 100+ new "Xtra Channels" are gradually being rolled out to different internet devices and are currently available on the SiriusXM website and its iOS and Android apps. The channels feature Pandora-like features such as skipping and limited imaging but no personalities and like all of SiriusXM's music channels are commercial-free.

Cool part is you get like 5 skips any time you switch to a new channel

It's a poor man's version of MySXM.

When MySXM first started, there was a loophole where you could adjust one of the three sliders, NOT hit the "ok" button, adjust the slider back and then get your skips back...or maybe you had to adjust a slider for a song or two and then go back to your original settings...

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Over the past few days, I listened to several of the new extra channels. Here are my thoughts:

Classic Rock BBQ was pretty good. I'm not sure why it would be different than a "party" playlist, but that's what they call it.

I listened to a 60s-70s-80s pop-rock channel, because they don't otherwise offer a channel that covers that span. It was okay, but it got bogged down in 60s songs I wasn't getting into (House of the Rising Sun etc).

They have an 80s pop-rock channel, which (again) is not exactly offered on existing channels. I bailed when it overloaded on hair bands, Def Leppard, and Judas Priest.

The 90s pop-rock channel was really good, but it was definitely "poppier" than a pure rock channel. However (and this becomes a theme), they run out of songs and start repeating.

I listened to a 1st Wave top tracks channel. Generally good music, but it starts repeating after a while. If you look at the extra channels, most are either "top 100" or "new discovery" tracks. So by definition, it's a smaller playlist.

The oddest one was the XMU Discovery, labeled as new emerging indie rock. OK, so I normally listen to XMU everyday, and they mix-in recent and classic indie music with the latest music available, and I mean latest. I figured that XMU Discovery would feature the newest songs from the regular XMU channel. But out of 10 songs, 7 were songs I never heard, from artists I never heard of. While that may seem better, it's not. That's what I didn't like about Pandora - the music they played had no relation to what was getting buzz, or up-and-coming artists. It was just a random smattering of songs that had a certain "sound" to them.

Overall, I think many of these channels would be good for parties, workouts, and other limited time-frame events; but not for long-term listening.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
At the risk of somebody telling me I'm posting this to the wrong thread -- yeah, Wolf and hyson, I'm looking at you -- here is a February 28 SiriusXM press release. And "Mardi Gras" sounds so much nicer in French than in English ( "Fat Tuesday").

Hear jazz, soul & funk sounds on limited-run Mardi Gras Radio channel

If you're not headed to the Big Easy for Mardi Gras this year, fear not! SiriusXM is bringing the sounds of New Orleans to you with the limited-edition Mardi Gras Radio, Channel 67.

Celebrate the sounds that give the Crescent City so much character, including jazz, funk andp soul songs by Louis Armstrong, Wynton Marsalis, the Neville Brothers, Trombone Shorty, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Dr. John.

This year, SiriusXM is honoring the legendary New Orleans composer Allen Toussaint with the world premiere of the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra's upcoming album Song: The Music of Allen Toussaint, set to be released on March 29, as well as Crescent City clarinet player Michael White's latest album, Tricentennial Rag.

Tune in to Mardi Gras Radio starting Saturday, March 2 at 9 AM through Wednesday, March 6 at 9 AM ET. SiriusXM subscribers with streaming access can listen online, on-the-go with the SiriusXM mobile app and at home on a wide variety of connected devices including smart TVs, Amazon Alexa devices, Apple TV, PlayStation, Roku, Sonos speakers and more. Go to www.SiriusXM.com/streaming to learn more.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
My app subscription was set to renew next month. I called SiriusXM and told them not to renew it.

It's not just because of the new channels, but the app really sucks. It's clunky and it's hard to find on demand content.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
My app subscription was set to renew next month. I called SiriusXM and told them not to renew it.

It's not just because of the new channels, but the app really sucks. It's clunky and it's hard to find on demand content.

Sadly, I think I need the app. I listen in the shower and I've already ruined at least one radio due to shower steam.

Here's part of an email I just got:
"These new music channels also feature a new skip-ahead functionality that makes it easier for you to find the songs you want to listen to and bypass the one’s you don’t. "

The bold is not my emphasis.

Reactions: semipenguin