New Car>>New Problem?

ematts

Jun 25, 2009
Well, I just bought an Audi A4 that has Sirius included as standard.

I still have my Sirius Starmate Replay that I have used for the last 4 years and I have a "lifetime" subscription.

Here's the question:

• should I register the Audi and pay $75 to switch?
  • should I install the Starmate Replay again because it has the pause feature which I like a lot? (if I install the Starmate again, I need to buy a new car kit and pay for installation...that will cost about $100)

HELP!

Thanks,

Matt

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
Congrats on the new Audi. If it were me I would stay factory and use the Starmate in the house or another vehicle.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I would never switch my lifetime subscription from a plug-n-play radio to a factory installed radio. Nor would I ever buy a lifetime sub for a factory radio :right:

Your best bet would be like Rich says. Use your Starmate in the house & just pick up a year or two year sub for your factory radio :)
Posted via Mobile Device

ematts

Jun 25, 2009
Thanks for the reply guys.

Here's some more information. I am leasing the Audi for 3 years.

If I use the Starmate, I will need to have it installed and pay about $60 and also I will need to buy the antenna and power supply at TSS for $40. I like having it professionally installed so it looks great...that's my preference.

I'm not an at-home satrad listener, so there's no need to buy a second subscription.

My guess is, with the Sirus-XM merger, new equipment should be coming out (I'm surprised it's not out already) in a few years and I won't be using my Starmate anymore.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I am with Rich...just pay the additional sub for the Audi unit and keep the Starmate around the house.

I am about 99% sure you can't transfer a lifetime subscription to a factory installed OEM unit. I vaguely remember seeing that in the Terms and Conditions. But, I'm to lazy to look that one up.

:)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I would never switch my lifetime subscription from a plug-n-play radio to a factory installed radio. Nor would I ever buy a lifetime sub for a factory radio :right:

Your best bet would be like Rich says. Use your Starmate in the house & just pick up a year or two year sub for your factory radio :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I think once transfered to a OEM radio the sub will be non-transferable again.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Here's some more information. I am leasing the Audi for 3 years.

If I use the Starmate, I will need to have it installed and pay about $60 and also I will need to buy the antenna and power supply at TSS for $40. I like having it professionally installed so it looks great...that's my preference.

I'm not an at-home satrad listener, so there's no need to buy a second subscription.

My guess is, with the Sirus-XM merger, new equipment should be coming out (I'm surprised it's not out already) in a few years and I won't be using my Starmate anymore.

Keep the starmate and sub the Audi as a family plan sub. If you know you are only going to have it 3 years its a waste to have a lifetime on it given that the first n months will be free anyways. Use the starmate 4 at home or in rental cars. When you find another radio you like, do the transfer to it but don't do it to an OEM radio.

mickk

Mar 8, 2009
dude do not mess with the lifetime sub. they do not offer it anymore in canada or the US. if you try to transfer it over you might lose it

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Don't make any hasty decisions. The in dash radios are nice, but if you drive a lot for work, they get boring. No fun features like Artist Seek or pause and rewind.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
dude do not mess with the lifetime sub. they do not offer it anymore in canada or the US. if you try to transfer it over you might lose it

Still offered in the US and with XM Canada. Not sure about Sirius Canada.

The only qualification against it is the OEM restriction.