New Boston album on the way!

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
LLH400.jpg

Boston latest studio album, Life, Love & Hope, will be released in the UK by Frontiers Records and – contrary to earlier reports – it DOES feature contributions from late singer Brad Delp. Delp took his own life in March 2007. His vocals appear on THREE tracks on the album. Other vocalists include David Victor (who joined Boston in 2012, after singing for a Boston tribute band), Kimberley Dahme (who joined the band in 2001), Tommy DeCarlo (who Boston mainman Tom Scholz first heard singing Boston songs on MySpace) and Scholz himself.

Scholz recently sued the Boston Herald newspaper, accusing them of blaming him for Delp’s suicide. He lost the case.

Scholz says: “These are songs from the heart, each of them taking many months of effort to write, arrange, perform and record, always up to the demands of Boston’s harshest critic – me. The songs have been meticulously recorded to analogue tape on the same machines and equipment used for Boston’s hits for the past 35 years.â€

Delp sings vocals on three tracks: Didn’t Mean To Fall In Love, Sail Away and Someone 2.0.

1. Heaven on Earth
2. Didn’t Mean To Fall In Love
3. Last Day Of School
4. Sail Away
5. Life, Love & Hope
6. If You Were In Love
7. Someday
8. Love Got Away
9. Someone (2.0)
10. You Gave Up On Love (2.0)
11. The Way You Look Tonight

From Boston's website:
More than 10 years in the making, BOSTON's new studio album, "Life, Love & Hope" is ready for release! Finally emerging from his Hideaway Studio II, Tom Scholz says, "These are songs from the heart, each of them taking many months of effort to write, arrange, perform and record, always up to the demands of BOSTON's harshest critic, me. They have all been meticulously recorded to analogue tape on the same machines and equipment used for BOSTON's hits for the past 35 years."

Available on December 3 on Frontiers Records, this album includes lead vocals from Brad Delp, Tommy DeCarlo, Kimberley Dahme, David Victor, and Tom Scholz, and features tracks with the classic BOSTON sound, as well as the latest in the evolution of Scholz' musical artistry. "I intentionally stayed close to the early BOSTON style on some of the songs, even using the same amps and instruments; on others I let my imagination run wild," says Tom.

All the tracks have the characteristic BOSTON trademark guitars, harmonies, and immaculately-crafted sound. Tom worked very hard to fulfill the expectations of BOSTON fans new and old, and has created a diverse yet cohesive album that truly has something for everyone.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It'll be cool to hear something from them again. Scholz (a Toledo native) is a monster in the studio. He even engineered and produced his own line of guitar equipment. I want to hear him run wild.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I agree with Prof. Art that Tom Schulz is a great studio guy, but that lineup sucks balls. Brad Delp was the voice of the band.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Well, there is that. Haven't heard the new guy yet though.

Remember when Peter Cetera left Chicago? Or Dennis DeYoung left Styx? Or Steve Perry left Journey? Or John Fogerty left CCR? Or Lionel Richie left the Commodores? Or...

You see my point.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Remember when Peter Cetera left Chicago? Or Dennis DeYoung left Styx? Or Steve Perry left Journey? Or John Fogerty left CCR? Or Lionel Richie left the Commodores? Or...

You see my point.

But I didn't really listen to those bands before those guys left. So....... :clueless:

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
I agree with Prof. Art that Tom Schulz is a great studio guy, but that lineup sucks balls. Brad Delp was the voice of the band.
Well, I'm sure if he was still alive, he would be on more songs. When a great lead singer dies, it's always hard to replace him. I think it's way cool that they found some old recording and decided to fit them into this new album :agree:

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Boston album might have taken Scholz a lifetime (from Classic Rock Magazine)

boston1.jpg

Tom Scholz knows Boston fans waited a long time for his sixth album – but he says the wait would have been much longer if he’d been forced to abandon his beloved analogue recording gear.

Life, Love & Hope will be released on December 3, following Corporate America, which came out in 2002.

But in a rare interview with MusicRadar, Scholz says: “I can do things so much faster in an analogue format, The right frequency, the right amount of level change, tone change, delay time; whatever you want to do, I can find it so much faster with my ear.

“Doing this in digital, it wouldn’t have been a 10-year project – it would have been a lifetime project.â€

Speed isn’t the only reason he remains passionate about using magnetic tapes, from two-inch studio reels to cassettes for rough recordings. “Analogue gear is very responsive,†he says. “You don’t to look at any numbers; you don’t have to input any data.

“Your fingers – and in my case, my feet, because I actually run the tape deck with my feet when I’m recording – my hands are busy, so I actually run the tape deck with one foot or another. It’s so intuitive with analogue, where you just move something and the sound changes.

“It’s like the difference between driving a sports car with your analogue steering, accelerator and brake inputs versus trying to control it with a keypad and punching in numbers. You can imagine what that would be like.â€

Scholz insists that, despite the public perception of him, he’s actually very easily pleased when he’s making music. “I can sit down at a piano or with a guitar and just chug away for hours, and be perfectly content with whatever comes out.

“But when it comes to something that somebody else is going to listen to, then I do feel a great deal of pressure to do something that’s exceptional – at least in what I consider to be at the limits of what I can do.

“The pressure is all self-imposed: it’s to live up to the expectations of people who are going to shell out their hard-earned cash to listen to the music.It’s trying to write, play and produce something that I would want somebody else to hear.â€