New Boombox/Old Starmate Plug and Play

Dec 26, 2008
I'm thinking of getting a new Boombox. The Sirius SUBX Universal Portable. Will I be able to use my old Starmate 4 plug in play with it?

Dec 26, 2008
I went out and dropped 175 dollars for a new boombox AND a new plug and play. I paid the 15 dollars activation fee when I called Sirius and it's STILL ''Acquiring Signal''. THEN I was cut off when I was transferred to tech support. I called back and the guy took thru the usual nonsense. NADA. Still ''Acquiring Signal.''

jwt873

Oct 12, 2008
In many cases, the satellite signal won't penetrate walls and ceilings. It depends on the construction of your house... To make things even more awkward, the satellites move across the sky. They aren't fixed in one position. So just being near a window won't always work... If it does, it will probably only work during certain times of the day.

You usually need a clear view of the whole sky to get a decent signal all the time. This requires putting the antenna outside.

I would put batteries in the boombox and take it outside where you have a clear view of the sky. If it works, then it is your house that's blocking the signals.. If it doesn't work outside, then you might have a faulty antenna.