New Blackberry Tablet

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
As has been rumored, Blackberry announced today that they will be releasing a tablet device to compete with the iPad.

More details to follow...in the meantime, from Bloomberg:

July 30 (Bloomberg) -- Research In Motion Ltd., maker of
the BlackBerry smartphone, plans to introduce a tablet computer
in November to compete with Apple Inc’s iPad, according to two
people familiar with the company’s plans.
The device will have roughly the same dimensions as the
iPad, which is a 9.7-inch diagonal screen, said the two people
who wouldn’t be identified because the plans haven’t been made
public. The device will include Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless
technology that will allow people to use their BlackBerry
smartphones to connect to the Internet, the two people said.
RIM is racing to come out with a product to rival the iPad
in the fast-growing market for devices that bridge the gap
between smartphones and notebook computers. Apple, based in
Cupertino, California, last month said it sold 3 million iPad
tablet computers in 80 days after they debuted in the U.S.
RIM plans to call the tablet Blackpad, according to one of
the people familiar with the company’s plans. RIM, based in
Waterloo, Ontario, acquired the Internet rights to blackpad.com
this month, according to the Whois database of domain names.
The tablet will be closely integrated with the BlackBerry
smartphone to allow users to integrate RIM’s e-mail system and
other features, the person said.
RIM fell $1.18, or 2.1 percent, to $54.52 at 9:50 a.m. in
Nasdaq Stock Market trading. The stock has dropped 18 percent
this year as Apple has climbed 22 percent.
Marisa Conway, a spokeswoman for RIM, declined to comment,
citing company policy not to comment on rumor or speculation.

AZDude

Oct 18, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I wonder if the touchscreen will have the surepress technology like the Blackberry Storm. That would be interesting.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I'd love to fondle one for fun. I'm not sure how it will do versus the iPad. That's a pretty high hurdle to clear.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I'm waiting to play around with one before I make the decision.
I want confirmation that it will run Andriod applications.

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
Without built in 3G or 4G access and stand alone basic comm apps, This will be ignored by everyone except some die hard, security driven IT BB shops. A consumer isn't going plunk down $600 on a jank tablet.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
RIM says native mail, calendar, and contact apps are on the way for the PlayBook.

The native apps and Android support won't come until Summer, though.

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
Yes, but by then the Playbook will be a distant memory for most people. Why buy a Playbook when you can get an iPad or Android device?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
What is it with these idiots putting these half baked products out? I just don't understand it. They wonder why they keep getting their collective asses kicked in the marketplace. How about actually releasing a real competitive product with all the bells and whistles and knock off the BS half baked releases.

The only REAL hope for competition to the iPad clearly seems to be Samsung with the Galaxy line up due for release. I don't think Samsung will be stupid enough to do this same shit that Moto and now Rim has done. GEEZ!

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Apple has everyone scrambling. They're having to find a way to innovate in a market that wasn't on their long term plans a little over a year ago.

RIM clearly sees their tablet as a phone accessory, not a stand alone device, and that may work for them. They have a dedicated core of users that aren't easily swayed by smartphone features. (They only recently dipped below Android's market share, and still have more share than Apple.)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Apple has everyone scrambling. They're having to find a way to innovate in a market that wasn't on their long term plans a little over a year ago.

RIM clearly sees their tablet as a phone accessory, not a stand alone device, and that may work for them. They have a dedicated core of users that aren't easily swayed by smartphone features. (They only recently dipped below Android's market share, and still have more share than Apple.)

Compare them and Android. The Android platform has gone from 0 to where it is today in a year. I can't see RIM competing. They like Apple are one hardware provider. While Apple has the marketing presence to back that up, RIM doesn't as much.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Compare them and Android. The Android platform has gone from 0 to where it is today in a year. I can't see RIM competing. They like Apple are one hardware provider. While Apple has the marketing presence to back that up, RIM doesn't as much.

Compare them to Apple, though. Apple has had 4 years of unprecedented hype and they still can't outsell RIM.

Blackberry offers features that the others largely ignore. For the customers who have to have those features, there isn't really a choice right now.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Compare them to Apple, though. Apple has had 4 years of unprecedented hype and they still can't outsell RIM.

Blackberry offers features that the others largely ignore. For the customers who have to have those features, there isn't really a choice right now.

Apple has never really gone after the Enterprise other than added a few features here and there.

It is only a matter of time before Blackberry drops below Apple. In fact I predict at some point Nokia/Win will beat them.

You can only ride the loyalty of your fan base for so long if you don't keep rolling out great products. RIM has failed to do that and it is starting to show in the numbers.

I do think they can still save themselves though unlike some others that feel it is already game over. But will they!

I also think we are going to have another player soon with HP and WebOS. I wonder if HP isn't taking note to insure they roll out a good product. Though they too have a history of half baked products.

Mem is right though all these guys don't know rather to scratch their watch or wind their asses.